Sådan mister du hende :…

Sådan mister du hende : fortællinger (edition 2013)

by Junot Díaz

Presents a collection of stories that explores the heartbreak and radiance of love as it is shaped by passion, betrayal, and the echoes of intimacy.
Member:petermartin.dk
Title:Sådan mister du hende : fortællinger
Authors:Junot Díaz
Info:[Kbh.] : Gyldendal, 2013.

This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Díaz

English (108)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (112)
Just as good as everyone told you. ( )
  Menshevixen | Oct 13, 2020 |
This certainly is how you lose her.

This book of short stories reads much as a novel, with the same characters (sometimes different points of view) wandering in different times of life. The main character, Yunior, follows in his big brother's footsteps in his treatment of women. Written in a kind of slang unique to New York Dominicans, the stories are peppered with Spanish phrases, most of which can be worked out by context.

Compared to the men, the women are strong, sensible. There are no clingy women here; when it's over, it's over. The men, particularly Rafa and Yunior, seem to believe that their wandering ways are natural, cannot be overcome.

The stories reveal much about the lives of Dominicans, especially those transported to New York City. The men bring with them some misconceptions, which do not help them.

To me, the stories that most touched me were those about Yunior's relationship with his brother Rafa, about Rafa's approach to his cancer. ( )
  slojudy | Sep 8, 2020 |
A collection of short stories centered around a primary character from Diaz's Pulitzer winning novel, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. And true to form, some stories worked for me and some didn't. While these collection of stories can stand on their own, I recommend reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao first. ( )
  Lynsey2 | Aug 26, 2020 |
Wonderful writing, wonderful voice -- but a little goes a long way. Can Díaz write from a female perspective or a less male-centric one? His talen is deep but his scope is pretty narrow. ( )
  MaximusStripus | Jul 7, 2020 |
The rare case in which the audio book might be better than the book? Ha ha. All copies of this book have been unavailable through KC Library since its release, so I listened to it as read by the author. I was unaffected by "Oscar Wao" and now I'm thinking it's just because I didn't get the pleasure of reading Junot Diaz read his own writing. An easy read that belies all the hard work that went into it, a real labor of love with barely a word out of place. ( )
  uncleflannery | May 16, 2020 |
The strongest tales are those fueled by the verbal energy and magpie language that made “Brief Wondrous Life” so memorable and that capture Yunior’s efforts to commute between two cultures, Dominican and American, while always remaining an outsider.

“This Is How You Lose Her” doesn’t aspire to be a grand anatomy of love like Gabriel García Márquez’s “Love in the Time of Cholera” — which opens out into a luminous meditation on the varieties of love and loss and the persistence of passion — but it gives us a small, revealing window on the subject.

Así es como la pierdes es un libro sobre mujeres que quitan el sentido y sobre el amor y el ardor. Y sobre la traición porque a veces traicionamos lo que más queremos, y también es un libro sobre el suplicio que pasamos después –los ruegos, las lágrimas, la sensación de estar atravesando un campo de minas– para intentar recuperar lo que perdimos. Aquello que creíamos que no queríamos, que no nos importaba. Estos cuentos nos enseñan las leyes fijas del amor: que la desesperanza de los padres la acaban sufriendo los hijos, que lo que les hacemos a nuestros ex amantes nos lo harán inevitablemente a nosotros, y que aquello de «amar al prójimo como a uno mismo» no funciona bajo la influencia de Eros. Pero sobre todo, estos cuentos nos recuerdan que el ardor siempre triunfa sobre la experiencia, y que el amor, cuando llega de verdad, necesita más de una vida para desvanecerse.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Díaz, Junotprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bragg, BillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Okay, we didn't work, and all

memories to tell you the truth aren't good.

But sometimes there were good times.

Love was good. I loved your crooked sleep

beside me and never dreamed afraid.

There should be stars for great wars

like ours.

Sandra Cisneros
For Marilyn Ducksworth and Mih-Ho Cha honor of your friendship, your fierceness, your grace
I'm not a bad guy.

He Loves her
     He Loves her also
     He loses both

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,592,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible