Book, Line, and Sinker by Jenn McKinley

Book, Line, and Sinker

by Jenn McKinley

2312074,183 (3.75)24

English (19)  Piratical (1)  All languages (20)
When Riordan shows up to dig on an island near Briar Creek with what he believes to be Captain Kidd's treasure map, the citizens hold varying opinions. Some believe it will boost tourism; others voice concern over ecological implications. When the tourism director turns up dead on the island, operations halt. I don't want to convey too much of the plot. A love triangle with Lindsey, her current boyfriend, and her ex-fiance emerges, although Lindsey makes it clear to John she loves Sully. Character development for the police chief and for officer Emma advanced in this installment. The book provided a pleasant diversion. ( )
  thornton37814 | Jan 17, 2019 |
I'll start by saying ignore the back of the book. The publisher's description is incorrect - although Charlie found the body, he was never one of the prime suspects.

Briar Creek is in an upheaval after a salvage company arrives with plans to dig up Captain Kidd's buried treasure, which can supposedly be found somewhere on Pirate Island. It sounds too amazing to be true, except that Mr. Riordan, the owner of the salvage company, has Captain Kidd's very own treasure map. The treasure hunt could turn Pirate Island into a huge tourist attraction, but it would also cause ecological damage. While Milton Duffy, a well-known and well-liked member of the Friends of the Library, tries to protect the island, Trudi Hargrave, the head of Briar Creek's tourism department, does everything she can to help Riordan's work move forward. Then Trudi turns up murdered, and Lindsey finds herself in the thick of things as usual.

This is probably the best book in the series so far. I loved the way the mystery tied in with Briar Creek's history. If I had one complaint about the way things worked out, it was that it took a lot longer than I expected for Trudi to finally be murdered. Which sounds terrible, but waiting so long for the death I knew was supposed to happen made the book drag a little. Plus, Trudi was kind of annoying.

The fact that Sully and Lindsey were finally dating didn't lessen Sully's appeal. I was happy to see that Sully was still giving Beth rides and waiting to make sure she got into her house okay before driving off. Little things like that really demonstrated that he wasn't just being nice in the previous books in order to spend more time with Lindsey. He also handled the sudden appearance of Lindsey's ex-fiance, John, surprisingly well. I expected aggravating amounts of jealousy, and instead he opted to trust Lindsey, stand back (mostly), and let her deal with John in her own way. Unfortunately, McKinlay opted to throw all of this out the window at the end of the book. It was very sudden and felt out of character for Sully, even taking into account the amount of stress he was under.

I continued to like Officer Emma Plewicki - I hope she gets more page-time in future books. The real surprise, however, was Chief Daniels. In the first book he was a stereotypical small town cop, too focused on his initial assumptions to even consider other possibilities. In this latest book, he had visibly mellowed, and I actually found myself liking him.

This was a great entry in the series, although I'm worried about what the ending will mean for the next book. Crossing my fingers that McKinlay doesn't drag this development out too long.

Extras:
- The Briar Creek Library Guide to Crafternoons

- Readers Guide for The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

- Lindsey's pattern for her cross-stitch sampler ("Books are my homeboys.")

- Recipe for Charlene's cucumber cups stuffed with feta

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Jun 2, 2018 |
This was another good entry in the series. I read the fourth one before this as this one was already checked out at the library so I was glad that I caught it this time. Like the others in the series, for me it's most about the characters than the mystery so much. Still, they mystery was good enough that I felt it held up pretty well. I'll definitely continue with the series and as with the others, it's worth a peek at the recipes & knitting pattern at the end. Definitely recommended for fans of the series & cozy mysteries, in general. ( )
  anissaannalise | Feb 28, 2018 |
This the third book in the Library Lover's Mystery series and it just keeps getting better. This time around Lindsey is dating Sully and really enjoying life in her adopted town. That is until Trudi Hargrave, the local tourism director brings in treasure hunters and is later found dead. Now she has to help two of her friends suspected of murdering Trudi before they land in jail for good.

The ending surprised me which I always enjoy. Can't wait to read the next in the series. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
Murder mystery in small coastal Conn. town, throw in a treasure hunt for Capt. Kidd treasure and likeable characters.Enjoyable read. ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
For Carole Towles and Sheila Levine,
fabulous librarians and priceless gal pals,
you inspire me every day in every way. Friends until the end and then some, ladies.
XO

Lindsey is enjoying her second year in Briar Creek as the library director, meeting with the crafternoon club, and happily dating tour boat captain Mike Sullivan. But when a salvage company arrives in town to dig up treasure buried on Pirate Island over three hundred years ago, the locals are torn between protecting the island and welcoming the publicity.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,459,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible