dismiss

Book, Line, and Sinker (2012)

by Jenn McKinlay

Lindsey is enjoying her second year in Briar Creek as the library director, meeting with the crafternoon club, and happily dating tour boat captain Mike Sullivan. But when a salvage company arrives in town to dig up treasure buried on Pirate Island over three hundred years ago, the locals are torn between protecting the island and welcoming the publicity.… (more)

English (22)  Piratical (1)  All languages (23)
These books are worth getting from the library, but they aren't ones you would want to re-read. The author uses the word "said" too many times, and the reader pronounces it with a thunk at the end. It's distracting.

The plots aren't hard to figure out, and the characters behave ....in a very silly fashion. There really isn't any reason for the librarian to be as nosy as she is, either. Also - she needs to get her head on straight about how to communicate and have relationships.

There is something endearing about the characters, though, and one wants to hear about them again. I don't actually know why. ( )
  mirihawk | May 21, 2020 |
Fun mystery, and a very quick read! This is my first encounter with this author and series, and I will look forward to reading more of her works. I believe my favorite parts were the underscored differences between the librarians of academia, and those dealing with the lowly public. Very amusing. ( )
  OtownShorty | Mar 26, 2020 |
The small town of Briar Creek faces a potential explosion of tourists when the small Maine town becomes the focus of a treasure hunter looking for some of Captain Kidd's treasure on one of the outlying islands. But when library director, Lindsey, and her new boyfriend, Sully, discover a body at the excavation site, things begin to look more grim. At the same time, Lindsey's ex-fiance has shown up in town having suddenly decided he wants her back.

Not a bad entry in the series but not as fun or as sparkling entry as the first two. I predicted the whodunnit pretty far in advance but I enjoy the characters enough I don't mind spending time with them even if I know where the book is going. If you're a fan of the series, you'll like this entry. ( )
  MickyFine | Feb 5, 2020 |
My thoughts were @ Bridget Blogs Books ( )
  RamblingBookNerd | Jun 5, 2019 |
When Riordan shows up to dig on an island near Briar Creek with what he believes to be Captain Kidd's treasure map, the citizens hold varying opinions. Some believe it will boost tourism; others voice concern over ecological implications. When the tourism director turns up dead on the island, operations halt. I don't want to convey too much of the plot. A love triangle with Lindsey, her current boyfriend, and her ex-fiance emerges, although Lindsey makes it clear to John she loves Sully. Character development for the police chief and for officer Emma advanced in this installment. The book provided a pleasant diversion. ( )
  thornton37814 | Jan 17, 2019 |
For Carole Towles and Sheila Levine,
fabulous librarians and priceless gal pals,
you inspire me every day in every way. Friends until the end and then some, ladies.
XO

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,856,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible