An Apple for the Creature

by Charlaine Harris (Editor), Toni L. P. Kelner (Editor)

Other authors: Ilona Andrews (Contributor), Amber Benson (Contributor), Rhys Bowen (Contributor), Mike Carey (Contributor), Charlaine Harris (Contributor)8 more, Donald Harstad (Contributor), Steve Hockensmith (Contributor), Nancy Holder (Contributor), Faith Hunter (Contributor), Toni L. P. Kelner (Contributor), Marjorie M. Liu (Contributor), Jonathan Maberry (Contributor), Thomas E. Sniegoski (Contributor)

Series: Calliope Reaper-Jones (Short Story "Callie Meet Happy"), Remy Chandler (Short Story "The Bad Hour", 5.5), Jane Yellowrock [Chronological] (Short Story "Golden Delicious", 4.2), Jane Yellowrock (Short Story "Golden Delicious", 4.2), Kate Daniels (Magic Tests, 5.4)

What could be scarier than the first day of school? A crash course in the paranormal, your worst school nightmares will pale in comparison to these thirteen original stories that take academic anxiety to new realms.

Overall, I enjoyed this collection better than "Home Improvement: Undead Edition". There were only a couple stories that I skipped; and they were the ones in which the author used traditional horror tropes and sparkled them up a lot.....sorry, but I am a traditionalist and that cutesy crap about were-folk with pet grindylows just gets my eyeballs a rollin'. Look, if you can't creep me out with your writing, don't try to amuse me instead; if I wanted to be amused I would have picked up a collection of P. G. Wodehouse Jeeves & Bertie stories. ( )
  Equestrienne | Jan 5, 2021 |
As expected, there were some stories I liked and some I thought about skipping. On the whole, though, it entertained. Favorites, in order of appearance: Sympathy for the Bones by Marjorie M. Liu, Iphigenia in Aulis by Mike Carey, and An Introduction to Jewish Myth and Mysticism by Steve Hockensmith. ( )
  Muhrrynn | Jul 11, 2019 |
Calliope runs Death, Inc. and must master wormholes. Was ok short, abrupt ending after all the drama with the teacher at the start.

Merged review:

Rhys Bowen - Low School
Amy finds herself back in high school, not remembering much and floundering. She made a deal and now she's living with the consequences

Academy Field Trip by Donald Harstad - 3
Very clinical, this is a short that took me two days to finish because I kept walking away from it. No romance here, just a mystery.

An Introduction to Jewish Myth and Mysticism by Steve Hockensmith - 4
Andy visits Karen's ex-abuser and convinces him to leave her alone. Not really what I expected but interesting.

Pirate Dave and the Captain's Ghost by Toni L.P. Kelner -4
She's at a were seminar and becomes stalked by a ghost and attacked.

Spellcaster 2.0 by Jonathan Maberry - 4
College students are working on a program and database to input all known spells, but someone has been hacking and changing some of the spells. Trey is the goto guy for the computer stuff and his experience is interesting.

The Bad Hour by Thomas E. Sniegoski - 4
Remy is a P.I. that was an angel and still retains some of his powers as he uses them to help his client. ( )
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
I only read Magic Tests by Ilona Andrews, 3.5 stars

mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
* Iphigenia in Aulis *
Only bought this book to read the original M R Carey : Girl with all the Gifts short story. It is also really good, despite being set alternatively in America and having a foetus rights edge to it.
I guess it could have developed into a whole nother story. ****

I did try to read some of the other stories, but struggled to keep up interest. ( )
  kk1 | May 26, 2018 |

Dawe, AngelaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ronconi, AmandaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ross, NatalieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Calliope Reaper-Jones (Short Story "Callie Meet Happy")
Jane Yellowrock (Short Story "Golden Delicious", 4.2)
Kate Daniels (Magic Tests, 5.4)
Remy Chandler (Short Story "The Bad Hour", 5.5)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,893,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible