dismiss

The Cowardly Lion of Oz

by Ruth Plumly Thompson

Series: Oz : Thompson (17), Oz (17), Oz : Famous Forty (book 17)

Return to L. Frank Baum's wonderful world of Oz with this illustrated children's book series.   After Notta Bit More, the circus clown, accidentally utters the transformation spell that sends him and Bob Up, the orphan boy, from the U.S. to the Munchkin kingdom of Mudge, Mustafa, the irascible ruler, magically compels them to try to capture the famous Cowardly Lion for the royal menagerie.   The Lion, on a secret mission of his own, finds them instead. Together with Nick, the bird with the telephone beak, they escape from the skyle of Un and the bottled city of Preservatory, meet an enemy disguised as a friend, and return to Mudge in an attempt to save the Cowardly Lion from a hard, cruel fate.   Praise for the Oz series   "Where the young stay young and the old grow young forever--these books are for readers of all ages."--Ray Bradbury   "The land of Oz has managed to fascinate each new generation. . . . The Oz books continue to exert their spell . . . and those who read [them] are often made what they were not--imaginative, tolerant, alert to wonders."--Gore Vidal   "I was raised with the Oz books, and their enchantment, humor and excitement remain with me. They are still a joy and a treasure. I welcome this Oz revival."--Stephen R. Donaldson… (more)

Belongs to Series

Oz (17)
This book is dedicated to My sister Dorothy Thompson Curtiss and all other lovely Dorothys including Dorothy of Oz
"Tazzywaller, I must have another lion," said Mustafa of Mudge, giving his blue whiskers a terrible tweak.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,900,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible