Gourmet Rhapsody by Muriel Barbery

Gourmet Rhapsody (original 2000; edition 2009)

by Muriel Barbery (Author)

A great food critic who can make or destroy the reputation of a chef with a stroke of his pen, Pierre Arthens faces his imminent death by trying to recall the one perfect flavor he sampled in his youth, a flavor that he believes forms the ultimate truth of his life.
Member:Jemalu
Title:Gourmet Rhapsody
Authors:Muriel Barbery (Author)
Info:Europa Editions (2009), Edition: 1st, 156 pages

Work Information

The Gourmet by Muriel Barbery (2000)

English (57)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (70)
I loved Elegance of the Hedgehog and was looking forward to reading this book, but I barely even finished it. I didn't like any of the characters. I found the story meandering and the characters hard to keep straight. The whole story seemed pointless and felt like spending time with highly unlikeable people who spend all their time talking about themselves. I only finished it because it was for a book club, but I did not enjoy the experience. ( )
  ColourfulThreads | Feb 18, 2021 |
This book is all about food. A food critic is dying and tries to find, in his memory, one final taste or smell. He recounts different episodes in his life when he experienced special tastes or smells. Every other chapter is about people who played a role in his life. Those chapters are off some interest to me, because they describe a man and his character viewed by different people. Buurt the chapters about food or writing about food are boring and ate not really adding anything to the actual story, so I skipped them as much as possible.
Not a great read, as I hoped to get from this author. ( )
  mslourens | Dec 27, 2020 |
Breezy, funny, and of course delicious: the French literary tradition isn't dead! The descriptions of sorbet, crusty and fluffy French bread, and salmon sashimi alone make this book worth reading. Barbery is an intelligent author in a world of babbling talking heads and illiterate blog posts: you owe it to yourself to delve into the philosophical.

"Hedgehog" seems to really inhabit the minds of its characters more, which would be the only weak criticism I could bring.

Also of note: this book is so much like the Pixar movie "Ratatouille," it's downright uncanny. Both should be required materials in any university course on "The Anthropology of French Cuisine." ( )
  charlyk | Nov 15, 2019 |
-- GOURMET RHAPSODY contains short chapters. Fictional food critic Pierre Arthens is dying. In many chapters he is speaking. Others are the voices of his family members, colleagues, household help, & a lover. Arthens' chapters are devoted to one food (mayo & whiskey, for example). Writing is gorgeous. Now I want to read author Muriel Barbery's THE ELEGANCE OF THE HEDGEHOG. -- ( )
  MinaIsham | Sep 18, 2019 |
While full of delicious descriptions of food and places, the book's subject is the price of living a pretentious false life. A price exacted upon oneself and all those around. ( )
  snash | Dec 5, 2017 |
At her florid best, Barbery captures the arousal inflamed by good food (and good food writing) almost as well as Julia Child, who inspired countless readers with her recipes and epiphanic mouthful of sole meunière. While reading can’t replace the joy of biting into a juicy tomato, Barbery cooks up a decent substitute.

Muriel Barberyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Poli, CinziaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Toivanen, Lotta(KääNt.)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torcal García, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zehnder, GabrielaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Stephane, without whom....
Stéphanovi, bez něhož...
When I took possession of the table, it was as supreme monarch.
Ke stolu jsem usedal jako vládce.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Muriel Barbery's book Gourmet Rhapsody [Unabridged Audio Edition] was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,381,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible