This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously,…

This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It (edition 2012)

by David Wong

"Fan favorite David Wong takes readers to a whole new level with this blistering sequel to the cult sensation John Dies at the End, soon to be a movie starring Paul Giamatti Originally released as an online serial where it received more than 70,000 downloads, John Dies at the End has been described as a "Horrortacular", an epic of "spectacular" horror that combines the laugh out loud humor of the best R-rated comedy, with the darkest terror of H.P. Lovecraft. The book went on to sell an additional 60,000 copies in all formats.As the sequel opens, we find our heroes, David and John, again embroiled in a series of horrifying yet mind-bogglingly ridiculous events caused primarily by their own gross incompetence. The guys find that books and movies about zombies may have triggered a zombie apocalypse, despite a complete lack of zombies in the world. As they race against the clock to protect humanity from its own paranoia, they must ask themselves, who are the real monsters? Actually, that would be the shape-shifting horrors secretly taking over the world behind the scenes that, in the end, make John and Dave kind of wish it had been zombies after all. Hilarious, terrifying, engaging and wrenching, This Book Is Full of Spiders, the next thrilling installment, takes us for a wild ride with two slackers from the midwest who really have better things to do with their time than prevent the apocalypse. "--"Originally released as an online serial where it received more than 70,000 downloads, John Dies at the End has been described as a "Horrortacular", an epic of "spectacular" horror that combines the laugh out loud humor of the best R-rated comedy, with the darkest terror of H.P. Lovecraft. The book went on to sell an additional 60,000 copies in all formats. As the sequel opens, we find our heroes, David and John, again embroiled in a series of horrifying yet mind-bogglingly ridiculous events caused primarily by their own gross incompetence. The guys find that books and movies about zombies may have triggered a zombie apocalypse, despite a complete lack of zombies in the world. As they race against the clock to protect humanity from its own paranoia, they must ask themselves, who are the real monsters? Actually, that would be the shape-shifting horrors secretly taking over the world behind the scenes that, in the end, make John and Dave kind of wish it had been zombies after all. Hilarious, terrifying, engaging and wrenching, This Book Is Full of Spiders, the next thrilling installment, takes us for a wild ride with two slackers from the midwest who really have better things to do with their time than prevent the apocalypse. "--… (more)
Member:psutto
Title:This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It
Authors:David Wong
Info:Thomas Dunne Books (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2013 Challenge

This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It by David Wong

English (50)  German (2)  All languages (52)
It's crazy, ridiculous, featuring spider aliens zeds, and a dog that'll melt your heart. ( )
  illmunkeys | Apr 22, 2021 |
Although it's eight years old, this is a book for our moment at the outset of 2021. I just saw the results of a CBS YouGov opinion poll asking "What is the biggest threat to the American way of life?" where a majority of respondents answered, "Other Americans" (in preference to such options as economic forces, natural disasters, foreign actors, etc.). I am not a fan of the "zombie apocalypse" genre. This Book Is Full of Spiders might well be classed as a member of that genre, but it interrogates the fear of zombies, rather than taking it for granted. The mostly-explicit answer involves a prehistoric dog and Dunbar's number, and the corollaries extend to dehumanizing social conflict in general.

As a sequel to John Dies at the End, this book stands on its own just fine. It inherits from the previous volume the central characters David, Amy, and John, the weirdness of the small Midwestern city of "[Undisclosed]," and the thaumaturgy of Soy Sauce. But the plot is well contained in this book. In fact it begins with an overture to readers not to read the earlier book: "It's better if we get a fresh start. ... I'm pleased to have the fresh opportunity to try to convince you I'm not a shithead."

It is on the comic end of the horror spectrum, with plenty of gross-out moments and hapless antics, but it wasn't until the final sections that I got to some laugh out loud passages. I recommend this book as a sound mix of lowbrow humor, weird horror, and social commentary.
2 vote paradoxosalpha | Jan 19, 2021 |
A bit more focused than the first one, but with a more forgettable story. ( )
  shrilimeath | Dec 31, 2020 |
This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It By David Wong Well, having read the previous book, "John Dies At The End" I had no hesitation in picking this one up. Trying to put this novel in a genre seems somehow to reduce it. It makes you laugh and it is very, very clever.

The stories are beyond belief and if they weren't so incredibly well written they would jar on you. It's one of those books that make you look  forward to going to bed just so you can read it and it makes you feel happy.

I cannot say enough good things about it and it never ceases to amaze me where you come across writing that is so good it  makes the world a better place. Sometimes I dread the idea of picking up a "good book" because some of them are just not that good outside their reputation. The Marriage Plot and some Ian McEwan books spring to mind.

If you want a reading holiday then pick this one up. You don't need to read the first one to get into this but that is also a bloody good book.

Thank you David Wong! ( )
1 vote Ken-Me-Old-Mate | Sep 24, 2020 |
I enjoyed this book a lot more than the first one, though I enjoyed that one as well. This book seemed more mature and the story more consistent. I got drawn into the story from the first page and in the end couldn't really put it down. I love how the book is not too dark, but still contains a lot of humor. ( )
  prettygoodyear | Jun 29, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING ACCOUNT CONTAINS FRANK DESCRIPTIONS OF MONSTERS AND MALE NUDITY.
For Carley, who was a better person than I am even though she was a dog.
You know how sometimes when you're drifting off to sleep you feel that jolt, like you were falling and caught yourself at the last second? It's nothing to be concerned about, it's usually just the parasite adjusting its grip.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,005,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible