Every Day's a Dog's Day by Marilyn Singer

Every Day's a Dog's Day (edition 2015)

by Marilyn Singer (Author), Miki Sakamoto (Illustrator)

Member:epelle3
Title:Every Day's a Dog's Day
Authors:Marilyn Singer (Author)
Other authors:Miki Sakamoto (Illustrator)
Info:(2015)
Collections:3rd-4th Grade Readers, Poetry
Rating:*****
Tags:dogs, poetry, calendar

Every Day's a Dog's Day: A Year in Poems by Marilyn Singer

I liked this book for many reasons. I liked that the poems all had a constant theme of dogs. I also liked that the book went through the course of a year. I thought the ideas were very imaginative because I have never seen another poem written from a dog’s perspective. I think the poems help the reader understand what it’s like to own a puppy and also what it would be like to be a puppy. I think the poems are appropriate for the experiences of children because many might have dogs in their own families. I think the language is clear and included some humor. For example, in the summer months, there was a poem entitled “First Cookout”. The whole poem is, “Ooh, barbecue.” The poems are all different lengths which I believe keeps the reader engaged. The illustrations are colorful and helpful to the text. I liked that the plot was organized into different events throughout the course of a year. I think the big idea of this book is giving the reader an opportunity to see the world through a dog’s eyes. It gives them another perspective on the world that is a little humorous. It also encourages readers to consider how animals, such as dogs, feel about different life situations. ( )
  epelle3 | Oct 12, 2017 |
I loved Every Day’s a Dog’s Day: A Year in Poems by Marilyn Singer. One reason I enjoyed this book was its progression through the year. It put dogs through daily activities and holidays that we normally don’t think about how a dog feels. Days like Valentine’s Day and grooming day, it even included vet day from the dog’s perspective. Another reason I liked this book so much was its humor. Several times during reading I laughed hysterically. The shortest poem in the book made me laugh the most. It was called “First Cookout” and contained only two words, “Ooh, barbecue.” It was followed up at the end of summer by “Last Cookout” which said, “Barbecue, ooh!” The only illustrations for these two poems were a pug holding a steak. The first steak fat and uneaten and the second steak just a bone. More funny poems included “Cat-Chasing Day” and First Flea Day.” The main idea in this book is simply entertainment. It is a great and funny book of poems. ( )
  EmmaBrockwell | Nov 18, 2014 |
I liked this poetry book. All of the poems are told through dogs’ point of view as they explain different holidays, trips, and activities. The writing in this poetry book is extremely playful and silly. “Better than biscuits, better than cake, better than burgers (no, that’s a mistake)”. The illustrations in this book are very colorful and enhance the story the dogs are telling. The main idea of this poetry book is to give a dog’s perspective to life. ( )
  carolinetownsend | Nov 16, 2014 |
Fun poetry. Marilyn Singer's books are a great way to introduce poetry to your students. Terrific for a classroom collection. ( )
  Nancy.Castaldo | Nov 3, 2014 |
I liked this book for many reasons. First, I liked that the book was written about different events throughout a year. The poems all relate to holidays such as Valentine’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day, etc. continuing up until New Year’s Eve. I like this because it demonstrates a timeline of common holidays and/or significant life events throughout the year, in a poetry format. Next, I really loved the illustrations in this book. The poems are all in a dog’s perspective, so they illustrations are all of different dogs throughout the year. For example, on the poem Summer Vacation, the dog is shown riding in a canoe and swimming from a dock, two common summer activities. Each poem describes a holiday or life event/activity and is accompanied by colorful, silly pictures hat very well represent what is written in the text. The main idea of this book is to display a timeline of significant events and holidays that can occur throughout a year. Using poems and dogs to do so, I believe this book is a very good one. ( )
  sarahwarner329 | Oct 27, 2014 |

Poems perfect for a year in the life - a dog's life, that is!

Day in, day out, our dogs are there for it all. But they see holidays quite differently than we do - Halloween, for example, is when you can't tell the real cats from the costumes! And, of course, dogs have special days of their own, like Hole Digging Day or the dreaded Visit to the Vet Day. Perfect for dog lovers of all ages, this clever book by one of the leading children's poets celebrates all those days and more, looking at a whole year in the life of our canine companions.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:04 -0400)

A lighthearted treasury of canine-themed poems presents a year's worth of seasons and holidays as experienced by dogs and celebrates such special occasions as Hole Digging Day and the dreaded Visit to the Vet Day.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,648,280 books! | Top bar: Always visible