Quintana of Charyn (2012)

by Melina Marchetta

Froi and his companions travel through Charyn to find Quintana and build an army to secure her unborn child's right to rule, an effort that culminates in an ultimate showdown with Isaboe of Lumatere.

Book 3, and the last of [b:The Lumatere Chronicles|18810348|The Lumatere Chronicles (Lumatere Chronicles, #1-3)|Melina Marchetta|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1384664283l/18810348._SY75_.jpg|26744808] and it was the perfect ending to a wonderful series.

This story revolves around the relationship between Froi, our hero from book 2 and Quintana. All of my favorite characters are still there-Isaboe, Finnikin, Perri, Travanian....I could list the entire cast but I won't. I just love them all. (And speaking of casts, someone out there in TV Series land needs to pick this one up. It would be awesome on screen.).

Very few books, IMO are both character and plot driven, but this story is.

The story begins immediately after the ending of book 2-Froi is gravely injured, Quintana is lost and running from those who wish her dead and the trio of the priest, the scholar and the mother are searching for her. In a broken kingdom where danger lives openly at all the crossroads, no one can be trusted.

[a:Melina Marchetta|47104|Melina Marchetta|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1277655889p2/47104.jpg]'s writing is gripping and beautiful. When love is the subject on the page, you can feel that emotion grip you. When you know that the next few paragraphs are bringing something awful, the tension will pulse through your body.

For those of you who do not care for Fantasy, take note: This is not a "normal" fantasy book. There is magic, but it is subtle and easy to sallow. Don't let the Fantasy MPG send you away.

For those of you who are straight-up Contemporary Fiction readers Marchetta has crossed over and has a new book this year The Place on Dalhousie. It is on my TBR and although I have not read it, I will still recommend it you on the strength of her writing. ( )
  JBroda | Sep 24, 2021 |
4.5 stars. I liked Book #3 much better than Book #2 because it managed to tie together many people, plots and relationships from the first two books, and better developed some minor characters, particularly Phaedra's importance to Charyn, Lucien, and lots of others. Author Marchetta also helped us to understand Quintana's strange, and at times, crazy behavior. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
"Pressed a kiss" is to Quintana as "ignominious" is to The Scarlet Letter. Aside from that, a great finish to Finnikin and Froi's stories. ( )
  Menshevixen | Oct 13, 2020 |
Just as compulsively readable as Froi, with the light moments that Finnikin often lacked, and an entirely satisfying end to this trilogy. Introduced one of my favorite characters in the whole chronicle, and further developed Finn, Isaboe, and the rest as flawed but lovable. Only 4 stars, though, because too many of the "conflicts" keeping lovers apart were contrived, especially at the end. The final hiccup felt like that moment at the end of an original-series Star Trek episode when everyone on the bridge laughs while they play goofy mishap music. I also got tired of how many characters hit first and asked questions later (if at all). Sure, that's Froi's personality, but did it have to be everyone's? ( )
  SamMusher | Sep 7, 2019 |
Some mild swearing and some very brief and fairly mild moments of intimacy or conversations about sex.

Really enjoyed this series! This last book wrapped up situations for all major and most minor characters very well. ( )
  benandhil | Sep 28, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,060,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible