The Last Command (Star Wars: The Thrawn…

The Last Command (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy) (edition 1994)

by Timothy Zahn (Author)

The embattled Republic reels from the attacks of Grand Admiral Thrawn, who has marshaled the remnants of the Imperial forces and driven the Rebels back with an abominable technology recovered from the Emperor's secret fortress: clone soldiers. As Thrawn mounts his final siege, Han and Chewbacca struggle to form a coalition of smugglers for a last-ditch attack against the empire, while Leia holds the Alliance together and prepares for the birth of her Jedi twins. Overwhelmed by the ships and clones at Thrawn's command, the Republic has one last hope--sending a small force, led by Luke Skywalker, into the very stronghold that houses Thrawn's terrible cloning machines. There a final danger awaits, as the Dark Jedi C'baoth directs the battle against the Rebels and builds his strength to finish what he had already started: the destruction of Luke Skywalker.… (more)
Member:DoaneNerd
Title:The Last Command (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy)
Authors:Timothy Zahn (Author)
Info:Del Rey (1994), Edition: 1st, 467 pages

Work Information

The Last Command by Timothy Zahn

I've always loved Star Wars, but never really thought about reading the novels. I'm still not sure I would enjoy "reading" the novels all that much, but listening to them with this narrator is pretty amazing. The voices sound so much like the actors in the movies that you feel like you're "watching" a new Star Wars movie. The only thing I didn't like about these books was that Thrawn was never wrong, he anticipated everyone's next move so that it was kind of disheartening/unrealistic even though you knew the good guys would win in the end.

I've heard a bunch of fans say they wish these books would have become the movies instead of the movies we got, but I don't feel like these books would have translated as well to the big screen. ( )
  ragwaine | Nov 13, 2021 |
As the title suggests this is final book in the Thrawn trilogy. It brings the story comes full circle to the inevitable defeat of the forces of the Empire. Leaving it once again headless and on the wrong side o Rebel Alliance victory. But you the reader knew that was going happen. The enjoyment of the story comes from seeing how Zahn orchestrates the various treads, plot lines and sub plots to that conclusion.I don't know how much of this story is Star Wars canon. It certainly does not fit into story lines of the animated cartoon series Star Wars Rebels or Star Wars Resistance. Nor does it into the comic book series. The trilogy does not address what of Thrawn's larger mission explored in in Heir to the Empire. ( )
  Cataloger623 | Oct 24, 2021 |
I have always loved the Star Wars universe and especially the novels that were written about it. Timothy Zahn definitely writes my favorite books about it. His stories fit quite well within the framework of the existing Star Wars world while adding something new and extra to it. I like his writing style and characterizations a great deal. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
The way it should have ended ( )
  jamestomasino | Sep 11, 2021 |
The finale of "The Thrawn Trilogy" is an exciting culmination of the shaky New Republic's stand against the cunning plans of Grand Admiral Thrawn to reestablish the Empire. It's great to have Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, Lando, Artoo, and Threepio all working together. Then there are wild cards like Mara Jade, a tentative ally who is sworn to kill Luke for her former master Palpatine, and the mad Jedi clone C'baoth who believes that he rules the Empire instead of Thrawn. The book could be trimmed of some of the excessively talk parts, and I could do without all the subplots involving Talon Karrde and other smugglers, but it is a satisfying conclusion.

I still think this books could be the inspiration for movies set after the destruction of the Second Death Star. They would have to be animated movies, because of the age and deaths of the cast members. But I think you could make a good story with elements such as Thrawn, Mara Jade, and the Noghri. Things would have to be adjusted to fit into the Sequel Trilogy, such as Leia giving birth to one child instead of twins. I'd also dispense with C'baoth and anything to do with cloning since clones were already central to the Prequels and Rise of Skywalker. But there's a good kernel here for a fun film trilogy or maybe a Disney+ series. ( )
1 vote Othemts | Jun 18, 2021 |

Timothy Zahnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jung,TomCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all those who helped make these books possible, especially
Anna Zahn
Betsy Mitchell
Lucy Autrey Wilson
and, of course, the man whose vision started it all,
George Lucas
Gliding through the blackness of deep space, the Imperial Star Destroyer Chimaera pointed its mighty arrowhead shape toward the dim star of its target system, three thousandths of a light-year away.

The embattled Republic reels from the attacks of Grand Admiral Thrawn, who has marshaled the remnants of the imperial forces and riven the Rebels back with an abominable technology recovered from the Emperor's secret fortress: clone soldiers. As Thrawn mounts his final siege, Han and Chewbacca struggle to form a coalition of smugglers for a last-ditch attack against the Empire, while Leia holds the Alliance together and prepares for the birth of her Jedi twins. Overwhelmed by the ships and clones at Thrawn's command, the Republic has one last hope- sending a small force, ed by Luke Skywalker, into the very stronghold that houses Thrawn's terrible cloning machines.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,458,112 books! | Top bar: Always visible