Bad Little Falls: A Novel (Mike Bowditch…

Bad Little Falls: A Novel (Mike Bowditch Mysteries, 3) (edition 2013)

by Paul Doiron (Author)

Series: Mike Bowditch (3)

Summoned to a rustic cabin during a blizzard, Maine game warden Mike Bowdich embarks on a dangerous investigation involving a notorious drug dealer, a beautiful woman with a dark past, and her troubled young son.
Member:Stratfordpublic
Title:Bad Little Falls: A Novel (Mike Bowditch Mysteries, 3)
Authors:Paul Doiron (Author)
Info:Minotaur Books (2013), Edition: First, 320 pages

Work Information

Bad Little Falls by Paul Doiron

I like Paul Doiron's Mike Bowditch mysteries because I love stories about sparsely inhabited areas and because I get to watch an impulsive, heart-on-his-sleeve, young man solve mysteries and grow up along the way. He is very...very... slowly learning that he doesn't know better than everyone else, and it's an attitude that needs to change before it kills him.

Bad Little Falls, like the other books in the series, gives readers an excellent feel for the wilds of Maine and the independent-minded, insular people who live there. As Doiron states at the end of the book, "No law enforcement organization in Maine has suffered more deaths in the line of duty than the Warden Service." That statement alone gives readers a better perspective on what Doiron's main character has to face.

Reading about an impulsive, know-it-all, looking-for-love, young man could wear a person out, so it's good that the cast also contains folks like veteran bush pilot Charley Stevens, "gimlet-eyed lesbian" county sheriff Roberta Rhine, and Lucas, the strange little boy who fills his notebooks with all the words he will not say and all the thoughts he refuses to share. In many ways, Lucas is my favorite character in Bad Little Falls. He can provide a little light humor when he ponders the subject of "Abnormal [Abominable] Snowmen," and he can also give you the shivers or even break your heart.

Populated with interesting characters, this solid mystery has plenty of misdirection to keep you guessing. It also provides a harrowing portrait of an area in this country that most of us know very little about. I enjoy gaining knowledge with my fiction. That's why I'll keep coming back to Mike Bowditch deep in the Maine woods. ( )
  cathyskye | Oct 21, 2021 |
I have read some of the authors newer books, and then book felt like it was phoned in. I did not really care about the characters or which drug dealer murdered who. ( )
  kerryp | Jul 4, 2020 |
Bad Little Falls is the third book I have read in the Mike Bowditch series, and this is the one book so far that I felt didn't really rock my boat. It was great to go back and read an early book in the series and the story was not that bad. I just found it not very memorable and I kept forgetting who was who. Personally, I found the best part was that this was the first time Mike met Stacey. However, the case was not that riveting although I did find the ending was good and I was even a bit surprised when the full truth was revealed.

All and all, this was an OK book, although it did feel like a let down when compared to Knife Creek and Stay Hidden. ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
Cant help but hope that in one of these novels, Mike Bowditch will get the girl. This time a story about drugs, a young (strange) boy, and his waitress mother. OK, just enough to keep on reading this series. ( )
  Pmaurer | Jul 12, 2018 |
Northern Maine in the dead of winter is not my idea of an ideal locale. Nevertheless, the author does a good job of living in such an environment into a passable mystery. The principal character is beyond flawed; he's weird. He is an outcast sent to oblivion. He jumps to conclusions and tries to bend facts to support his thinking. He gets precious little help from the other characters. At the end, one wonders if the main character has learned anything about himself or anything else. ( )
  DeaconBernie | Feb 19, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

Minotaur Books

An edition of this book was published by Minotaur Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,537,306 books! | Top bar: Always visible