The Woman Who Died A Lot: A Thursday Next…

The Woman Who Died A Lot: A Thursday Next Novel (edition 2012)

by Jasper Fforde

1,236816,431 (4.02)1 / 111
Member:rcc94
Title:The Woman Who Died A Lot: A Thursday Next Novel
Authors:Jasper Fforde
Info:Viking Adult (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 384 pages

The Woman Who Died A Lot by Jasper Fforde

Kurt Busiek's Astro City: Confession by Kurt Busiek (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: "The Nearness of You" in Confession & "Jenny" in The Woman Who Died A Lot.
    The Bear Went Over the Mountain: A Novel (Owl Book) by William Kotzwinkle (4leschats)
    4leschats: This book is the closest that I have read to the metafictional aspects of Fforde's work. Kotzwinkle uses a bear to underscore the absurdities within the publishing industry.

English (80)  Swedish (1)  All (81)
I was totally in love with the ending. Having said that I might change my mind because sometimes Fforde is laying crumbs for books to come. So the ending might be better with time. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
Still a fun read, but not on a par with the rest of the series. It was badly let down by the absence of anything bookworld-related, which is the main appeal of the Thursday Next universe. The fact that Fforde kept emphasising how old and feeble Thursday now is, and how she's addicted to painkillers due to her injury was also kind of a bummer, and felt a bit out of place in an otherwise lighthearted book, though I did enjoy the bit when she put on the smiley face patch and started hallucinating.
I was also frustrated by how painfully obvious it was that Aornis was living in the house with them, and that what Jack Schitt was up to was accessing the DRM. I enjoyed Friday's subplot, but the rest of the ending was kind of a letdown. ( )
  plumtingz | Dec 14, 2017 |
Best TN since The Eyre Affair!? ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
My thoughts for remembering the story.

Thursday is a physical wreck. Unable to jump into books anymore, she must find another job. How can I say more without spoiling the tale for others? I've missed some books in this series, but it was not impossible to follow the events in this book. I enjoyed the story, but possibly the crazy nonsensical humor is beginning to wear for me. I feel like I can always read a Thursday Next book, but I don't hunger for them.

The narrator, Gabrielle Kruger left me a little cold. She was fine doing the voice of Thursday, and some of her other "voices" didn't bother me, but they way she read Landon and Friday made me a little crazy. Would rather have read this in paper form. ( )
  MrsLee | Jun 18, 2017 |
An excellent continuation of the tale but nigh on incomprehensible if you haven't read the entire series in order. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |

To all the librarians
that have ever been,
ever will be,
are now,
this book is respectfully dedicated.
Everything comes to an end.
"A drawn elephant has a desire to exist?"

"Certainly. All of existence came into being simply because it wanted to be. The big bang wasn't so much a big bang as a hasty dash toward an opportunity to trade nothingness for somethingness. The main contributory factor to the entire universe was a momentary effect in need of a cause. And in that split second, everything that wanted to have existence -- which is everything -- came racing through in one huge hot mass. They've been trying to sort themselves out ever since."
Budget meetings have never been interesting, ever, despite numerous attempts over the years to try to josh them up a bit. Notable uplifting techniques involved the use of fire-eaters and performing elephants, but they didn't work. The dry proceedings are well known to bring on a form of lethargy that can stay with attendees for the rest of the week, and Budget Therapy was used with great success in the treatment of patients suffering an excess of good-natured perkiness.
"Working in fiction does give one a somewhat tenuous hold on reality, but it's not the hold that's tenuous -- it's the reality: Which reality? Whose reality? Does it matter anyway? And will there be cake?"
"What a beautifully described morning!"
"Do I have to talk to insane people?"

"You're a librarian now. I'm afraid it's mandatory."   Chap. 22

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067002502X, Hardcover)

The newest tour de force starring Thursday Next in the New York Times bestselling series

The Bookworld’s leading enforcement officer, Thursday Next, has been forced into a semiretirement following an assassination attempt, returning home to Swindon and her family to recuperate.

But Thursday’s children have problems that demand she become a mother of invention: Friday’s career struggles in the Chronoguard, where he is relegated to a might-have-been; Tuesday’s trouble perfecting the Anti-Smote shield, needed in time to thwart an angry Deity’s promise to wipe Swindon off the face of the earth; and the issue of Thursday’s third child, Jenny, who doesn’t exist except as a confusing and disturbing memory.

With Goliath attempting to replace Thursday at every opportunity with synthetic Thursdays, and a call from the Bookworld to hunt down Pagerunners who have jumped into the Realworld, Thursday’s convalescence is going to be anything but restful as the week ahead promises to be one of the Next family’s oddest.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:59 -0400)

The Bookworld's leading enforcement officer, Thursday Next, has been forced into a semiretirement following an assassination attempt, returning home to Swindon and her family to recuperate. But Thursday's children have problems that demand she become a mother of invention: Friday's career struggles in the Chronoguard, where he is relegated to a might-have-been; Tuesday's trouble perfecting the Anti-Smote shield, needed in time to thwart an angry Deity's promise to wipe Swindon off the face of the earth; and the issue of Thursday's third child, Jenny, who doesn't exist except as a confusing and disturbing memory. With Goliath attempting to replace Thursday at every opportunity with synthetic Thursdays, and a call from the Bookworld to hunt down Pagerunners who have jumped into the Realworld, Thursday's convalescence is going to be anything but restful as the week ahead promises to be one of the Next family's oddest.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,507,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible