Woodrose Mountain (Hqn)

by RaeAnne Thayne

Series: Hope's Crossing (2)

11910186,545 (3.89)None
Seeking a quieter life, physical therapist Evie Blanchard puts her plans on hold when single dad Brodie convinces her to help his injured daughter, Taryn, and she finds it hard to keep an emotional distance from Brodie and Taryn.

Very emotional book. Evie left Los Angeles and her job as a physical therapist when the emotions involved in one of her cases got too hard to handle. She came to Hope's Crossing at the urging of a friend and has found a sense of peace while she works at the local bead store. She has put her life as a physical therapist behind her until Brodie comes to her asking for help with his daughter. Taryn was in a terrible accident that left her unable to move or speak easily, and has been refusing to cooperate in therapy. Brodie is desperate and will do anything he can to convince Evie to help.

Evie tries hard to refuse to help. She knows that she can't handle getting emotionally involved with Tayn or Brodie. But something about Taryn compels her to help, though she tries to protect herself. It isn't long before she is as emotionally invested as she'd feared. To top it off, Brodie isn't as much of an arrogant jerk as she had thought he was, and she sees past the attitude to the worried father. Evie is determined to do whatever is necessary for Taryn and this sometimes puts her at odds with Brodie. She stands up for her methods and things start to look up for Taryn.

Brodie is a man with a mission. He wants Evie's help and he will do whatever he has to in order to get it. It doesn't help that he doesn't like her much, her free spirit knocking up against his need for control and order in his life. Being around her as much as he is, he starts to see a different side to her. Soon he is fighting an unwilling attraction to her, and finding that being with her brings him a sense of calm that he hasn't experienced with anyone else.

Things don't always go very smoothly between them as they find themselves on opposite sides of one particular therapy issue. Evie has discovered that Taryn's therapy is more successful when assisted by friends. One of those friends is the young man who caused the accident that injured Taryn. Brodie is furious at his presence, but Evie stands up for what she feels is best for Taryn. The romance itself is slow building as they get to know each other and open up about their own issues. Brodie comes to the realization of his feelings before Evie does, and tries to get her to agree to pursue them. Evie has to find the courage to risk her heart again.

Taryn's story is emotional in itself. She has gone from a vivacious teenager to a girl who needs help with the most basic of needs. She wants to get better, but she also feels that she may deserve everything she is going through. Throughout the book there are indications there may have been more to the accident than everyone believes. Taryn's emotional ups and downs seem to be tied to the blame everyone places on Charlie. There's an extremely emotional scene at the end when Taryn attends Charlie's hearing and speaks in his defense. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Jun 21, 2014 |
Woodrose Mountain
RaeAnne Thayne
★☆★☆

This book is about herione Evie Blanchard who is fun with a bit of a free spirit. with a heartbreaking past
And Brad thorne who is Mr. Serious with a Wild past.

In the first novel Blackberry Summer (I think was the name) There was a tragic accident which involved Brads daughtrr Taryn, Layla who was killed, Charlie Beaumony who was the driver and a few other kids. Taryn has come home and now needs a therapist to help her.

We find out that Before Evie moved to Hopes Crossing she was a physical therapist. Katherine (brads mom and Taryns grandma) is the only one who knows about Evies past. She lets Brad kniw she was a therapist and is the best for Taryn.
After refusing more than once Evie decides to help Taryn for 2 weeks until they can find a suitable therapist and make a routine for her.

I liked this novel. I did but something was missing I just can't put my finger on it. I enjoyed learning of Evies past I liked getting to know more characters. watching taryn grow was great. I think there was lack of romance in this novel. it all happened so quickly.

I do recommend the novel although I wouldnt REALLY classify it as a romance it did have some romance but the best part was the story. ( )
  Courtney_Chance | Jun 19, 2014 |
Woodrose Mountain
RaeAnne Thayne
★☆★☆

And Brad thorne who is Mr. Serious with a Wild past.

Courtney_Chance | Jun 19, 2014 |
Physical therapist Evie has walked away from her practice, and moved to a new town. But when one of the teens in a car wreck is coming home, the family twists her arm to give in and help out. She says yes to be temporary until they find someone else, but she finds that her heart has thawed enough to enjoy the work, and to fall in love with the girl's father ( )
  nancynova | Apr 4, 2014 |
Looks like a cute small town romance, but parts of it are a little dark. I liked the romance, though I wish more time had been spent on it. There just wasn't enough Evie and Brody together to make their love fully satisfying. Though I really liked their scenes together. And moving from their misconceptions of each other to appreciating and loving their differences. I also liked them individually. Though I do wish Evie hadn't caved to the emotional blackmail. It bothered me that Katharine, who knew why she shouldn't subject herself to the PT job still pushed when she wasn't the only option.

This book is basically the epitome of my "why-i-am-never-having-children" shelf. It's like a how-to on raising bratty, menace-to-society teenagers. All the parents make excuses for their shitty behavior and choices. Most weren't made to account for their actions (and I get Taryn suffered terribly for her crimes but what the hell good is telling her she bears no blame, etc.? She does. And while her suffering taught her a lesson on reckless, criminal choices, her unhinged response to what was a simple – and warranted – punishment definitely still needed to be discussed). Really by the end of the book the kids were showing more maturity and responsibility admitting to their wrongdoing while their parents were still trying to shield them. Okay, and call me an asshole, but why is the whole town memorializing and celebrating the girl, Layla, who died in that wreck? Evie gave a lot of money and work for that scholarship fund! Layla died after being a part of a group who broke into several businesses, robbed and vandalized them – Taryn's idea – broke into someone's cabin, drank, then piled in a car and drove THEN tried to outrun the cops. In a snowstorm. And almost killed a woman and her two children. What kind of message is that to the other children in town? Not only do they ignore all these things but they put all the blame on the kid driving and act as though Taryn and Layla are purely victims when they weren't. They all bear some blame. The woman and her two kids were the victims. You know which teenager wasn't celebrated? That girl, Hannah, whose father ran off with some woman. Had to deal with a fragile mother, take care of her three little brothers now that her mom had to work, and had a job of her own on top of that to help with the family's finances. AND started helping out with Taryn's PT – even though Taryn had ditched her as a friend when she became a popular cheerleader. No, but we celebrate the criminals because they got hurt being stupid. AND THEN EVIE GAVE TARYN HER DOG WHOM SHE LOVED AND ADORED SO MUCH AFTER TARYN THREW A FREE WEIGHT AT HER HEAD AND INJURED HER. And suffered no consequences for that either! Gah!. Ugh, seriously, this is why I don't read YA. I have a severely low tolerance for teenage bullshit and there was too much in this book. Some people hate babies and little kids in their romance. I generally have no problem with them – even love the trope most times – but teenagers? No. Just ruins all the fun, sexy, and romance.

That said Brody and Evie could be cute about Taryn. And she was okay when she wasn't being a brat. I could feel bad for her struggle. I know I've complained a lot but there was something about the writing and story I did enjoy so, 3 stars. Would have been 3.5 or four were it not for what didn't work for me. ( )
  OstensiblyA1 | Sep 20, 2013 |

RaeAnne Thayneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Christie, ClaireNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,299,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible