How Will You Measure Your Life? by Clayton…

How Will You Measure Your Life? (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Clayton M. Christensen (Author)

Akin to The Last Lecture in its revelatory perspective following life-altering events, "How Will You Measure Your Life?" presents a set of personal guidelines that have helped the author find meaning and happiness in his life.
Member:Pumpkinson
Title:How Will You Measure Your Life?
Authors:Clayton M. Christensen (Author)
Info:Harper Business (2012), 240 pages

How Will You Measure Your Life? by Clayton M. Christensen (2012)

Clayton Christensen passed away 2020-01-23. His most famous work: The Innovator’s Dilemma was groundbreaking. I’ve read a summary of it, and didn’t feel a need to read the full thing, especially now that I am retired. So, I chose to read this book of his after watching his BostonTedX talk.

Just as [b:Anna Karenina|15823480|Anna Karenina|Leo Tolstoy|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1546091617l/15823480._SX50_.jpg|2507928] was the most meaningful marriage book I have read, this is the most meaningful life planning book that I have read.

Self-help books often give anecdotes and suggest following the same approach, but they are a snapshot and not based in sound theory. This book, from an excellent management consultant provides the foundational theory. It teaches us to build our own foundation.

People choose their strategy, but how we actually allocate our resources on a day to day basis determines where we will end up.
  bread2u | Jul 1, 2020 |
Everyone should read this book. Regardless of life stage, it's insightful. How to achieve happiness is a skill we sometimes fail to teach. ( )
  RaggedyMandy | Apr 22, 2020 |
Clay Christensen is a successful business consultant and business school academic at Harvard Business School. The premise of this book came from an end of year speech Christensen gave at HBS which he was widely lauded for, based around the idea that his young students venturing out into the world should set out clearly for themselves the goal on what they will truly measure the success of their life.

Drawing from this speech, in this book Christensen aims to take a number of key learnings from business and to apply these to life in general, family relationships included.

I'm not quite sure that the book lived up to what I had expected from the title in that it was more about causality and repeatable business patterns. I would say the taking these learnings and applying them to the wider parts of your life beyond business and career perhaps made up only 20% of the book. However, having said that, I found lots of unexpected gems of inspiration out of this book for our own business, such as finding the true reason why someone hires your resources (be that product or service) rather than the reason you think they're buying (or not buying) from you, and some valuable lessons from large company failures, such as Blockbuster's catastrophic failure to stop Netflix from stealing their business from right under their nose.

Clayton Christensen is clearly a very smart but also very nice man - his integrity comes across in this book, and he has some interesting thoughts on successful career people and why they often only realise too late in life that they've focused on the wrong thing (i.e. career) and lost what really matters (i.e. family and friendship).

I wouldn't recommend this book if you're not involved in business - I don't think it would be an overly helpful general take stock of your life type book. As a business book, however (which is not what it's intended to be), I found it very useful and unexpectedly inspirational. I also liked the fact that it didn't go into the in depth minutae that so many business books go into - there were enough short nuggets there just to prompt your own thinking.

For anyone who hasn't already given up reading this review, there's a Tedx Talk on this topic which I'm going to check out:

4 stars - not what I thought it was going to be at all, but very useful nonetheless. ( )
  AlisonY | Mar 5, 2019 |
This book was not what I thought it would be. I've had Christensen's The Innovator's Dilemma on my List to read for a while now, not yet finding the time to get to it and when I saw this title, I made that connection, but did not know Christensen's background. There may be a target audience for this book. I am not that audience. And I don't personally know anybody who is.

The best thing about this book is that it is a simple, fast read (the start/stop dates do not reflect that - I kept diverting myself), and requires no additional thought. To save a reader time, here are two sentences to summarize...
- an old anecdotal proverb: No one ever said on his/her death bed "I wish I'd spent more time at the office."
- and a paraphrase of a Stephen Stills lyric: "I you can't have the job you love, find a way to love the job you have." (and keep looking for the dream job.)

How will I measure my life? Apart from the normal answers, I also have a sobering projection of how many books I have left to me to read: I am 57, read more than 100 books per year, and if optimistically live another 35+ years...I only have 3500 books left to me! I wasted one of those precious few on this. ( )
  Razinha | Jan 19, 2019 |
Quick read about the goals you set for your life and how you can apply them in all areas. I especially enjoyed the section called, "What Makes Us Tick". It was all about motivation, for both yourself and others. Some of his thoughts for job satisfaction that really resonated with me:

Is this job meaningful to me?
Is this job going to give me a chance to develop?
Am I going to learn new things?
Will I have an opportunity for recognition and achievement?
Am I going to be given responsibility?

Good thoughts around parenting, work, and life. Three stars. ( )
  GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |

Clayton M. Christensenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Allworth, Jamessecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, Karensecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To our families
On the last day of the course that I teach at Harvard Business School, I typically start by telling my students what I observed among my own business school classmates after we graduated.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,666,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible