Minion of Evil by Shannon Ryan

Minion of Evil (edition 2012)

by Shannon Ryan

722,319,049 (5)None
Have you ever wondered if your boss is evil? David Graves is having a bad life. A bill collector is threatening him with grievous bodily harm. His girlfriend thinks he's an incompetent loser. His human resources manager, a creature of nightmare, is sexually harassing him. And when he finally meets a girl he likes, she seems more interested in rebuilding engines and committing random acts of violence. Still, David thinks he is doing all right--until he discovers his bosses are Satanists and his employment contract dooms him to an eternity of telemarketing and damnation... Minion of Evil is frightfully accurate portrayal of identity theft, computer hacking, wrench wenches, monomaniacal supervisors, and what really goes on behind closed doors in customer service.… (more)
Member:dmoonfire
Title:Minion of Evil
Authors:Shannon Ryan
Info:Sam's Dot Publishing (2012), Paperback, 168 pages

Work Information

Minion of Evil by Shannon Ryan

demons (1) fantasy (1) fiction (1) to-read (1)

This review was written for LibraryThing Member Giveaways.
Book Info: Genre: Humorous Dark Fantasy Reading Level: Adult

Disclosure: I received a free ebook copy of this book through the LibraryThing Members Giveaway program in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis: Have you ever wondered if your boss is evil?

Still, David thinks he is doing all right – until he discovers his bosses are Satanists and his employment contract dooms him to an eternity of telemarketing and damnation...

Shannon Ryan’s website, weirdauthor.com

My Thoughts: I loved Matt Rose. There, I said it: I loved Matt Rose! He is my favorite type of villain: gleefully, unrepentantly Evil (yes, with a capital E), and with a terrific sense of humor about the whole thing. I mean, obviously I wouldn’t go all Amanda on him – that’s just gross – but to read about in a book? This is the type of villain I most enjoy.

Watching Dave grow from wishy-washy telemarketing temp into someone trying, somewhat ineptly, to battle the forces of evil was a lot of fun. Not to mention that Ryan got the telemarketing culture spot-on – in fact, he struck a bit close to the bone in some places, as anyone who has spent any amount of time working in telemarketing will see when they read this book. I spent a lot of time laughing, of course – especially at the description of the movie Flying Death, with Aplomb and the other things that Ryan takes to ridiculously hilarious lengths in this book – but there were a few pretty horrific scenes towards the end, so I think overall I would put this into the dark fantasy with humor genre; it’s not quite horror.

Shannon Ryan has done a remarkable job on this book, and I really hope to see many more books in the future coming from his moniker. Kudos, Mr. Ryan – keep writing! You’ve just gained a new fan. ( )
  Katyas | Jul 15, 2012 |
I rarely find time to read books. When I do, I am often disappointed. This book was a pleasant little surprise. By the first paragraph of this book, I could sense that I wasn't going to want to put this book down. The same way that a comedian uses colorful language to draw you in, each sentence of this book is beautifully crafted. The style of the author is refreshing--witty, but not "too smart" or intimidating with five syllable words everywhere just to make the author feel superior. The book is easy to get into and the characters are great. The main character, Dave, is a telemarketer who generally lacks ambition. Even though Dave is kind of a loser, I had a crush on him. Flawed as he was, I could really relate to him and I thought he was a good guy. The story is that Dave hated his job, then his girlfriend dumped him, and then he met a new girl, and then he figured out that his boss was part of a satanic cult, yada yada yada. That doesn't sound too interesting to me--BUT IT WAS. The characters are compelling. The dialogue has a great rhythm with each of the characters having unique speech patterns. The character named Raven is incredibly sexy. On top of everything else, though the sex scenes aren't very detailed, they are very good. The first three quarters of this book are genius. The last quarter of the book is full of action and fighting scenes. The last bit of the book loses what I admired so much about the first part of the book--the snide and humorous perspective of telemarketing and worker vs. boss relationships. The last quarter of the book drops down from "amazing" to "above average." All together, I'd rate this book a 5 out of 5. So many books disappoint me. This book tickled me pink. I was so moved by the characters that I began wondering what kind of author would write this book. The worst thing about the author of this book, Shannon Ryan, is that he has no other published pieces yet. Alas, I'll just have to wait.

I WILL be waiting. ( )
  spaciemonkie | Jun 4, 2012 |

Shannon Ryan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 197,684,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible