The Stand (Barnes & Noble Collectible…

The Stand (Barnes & Noble Collectible Editions) (original 1978; edition 2020)

by Stephen King (Author)

17,695340216 (4.3)1 / 694
Imagine America devastated by a vast killer plague and the group of men and women coming together to make a last stand against it.
Member:Heidis26
Title:The Stand (Barnes & Noble Collectible Editions)
Authors:Stephen King (Author)
Info:Doubleday Publishing (2020)

Work Information

The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (1978)

The Passage by Justin Cronin (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon (quartzite, infiniteletters, BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Dark, detailed tale of post-apocalyptic survivors fighting supernatural evil.
    Nightmares & Dreamscapes by Stephen King (aces)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (artturnerjr)
    Cell by Stephen King (jman14)
    jman14: It has been said that Cell is somewhat of a 're-make' of The Stand. It's a good book in my opinion, but The Stand is at least three times better. Good for anyone who likes their gory Apocalypses.
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (sturlington)
    sturlington: Watership Down is referenced in The Stand. They are similar epics about small bands of survivors who go on a long journey to establish a new home.
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (keremix)
    Floating Dragon by Peter Straub (quartzite)
    The Fireman by Joe Hill (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Both books cover the subject of the aftermath of a terrible widespread disease.
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (mamasigs126)
    mamasigs126: Inspiration for King and a wonderful book.
    Boy's Life by Robert R. McCammon (Catamount33)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    The Breakers Series: Books 1-3 by Edward W. Robertson (Dragget)
    Dragget: Well thought out post-apocalyptic stories (civilization wiped out by a superbug) plot follows groups of survivors.
    A Plague Upon Your Family by Mark Tufo (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Epic, apocalyptic cross-country tale with supernatural elements of good v evil
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Epic struggles of good vs. evil

English (330)  Dutch (5)  Italian (3)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (340)
A virus escapes its containment are, a man realizes the problem and leaves his post. That is the start of Captain Trips which will kill 99% of the population. Dreams and nightmares of of an 108 year old lady and man who is dark and sinister begin to play a part in the survivors life. Choices must be made. ( )
  foof2you | Nov 24, 2021 |
I did it. I finished this absolute monster of a book. And it was very very good. Would recommend. I think it was more of a 4.5/5, but of course, Goodreads doesn't allow that kind of nuance.... ( )
  KaffinatedWitch | Oct 15, 2021 |
Finally crossed this off my reading list after some 20-odd years. Was well worth it. Very, very good book. Was captivated throughout the lengthy tome. Can't quite give it a 5 though as the conclusion was not the sustained pulse-pounding payoff I felt I'd earned after that many pages, and I was a little unclear on why a couple of things happened the way they did. But nonetheless, it was quite a ride, extremely vividly rendered, with indelible characters that I really came to root for and care about. ( )
  usuallee | Oct 7, 2021 |
There's too much to say, too many things already said about this one, especially because it's one of my favorites. This is a re-read, but it's been quite some time in between readings, and a real pandemic. What struck me this time were the early references that Uncle Stevie eventually returns to with [The Dark Tower] series - keys and doors and centenarian spiritual leaders and epic treks and good vs. evil. It's terribly interesting how much of this was already swirling in his mind. He wrote [The Gunslinger] early in his writing career but it wasn't published, and this book seems to have helped germinate a lot of what ended up in the series. It stands the test of time in re-reading (pun intended). M-O-O-N, that spells read this. ( )
  blackdogbooks | Sep 26, 2021 |
I had been thinking about reading this for years. It is such an iconic book with big themes like the sacrifice of the individual for the greater good of the group and hierarchy in society, but especially the theme of good vs. evil. There were representations for Christ and the Anti-Christ who seek to gain control over this new emerging society. Big, bold ideas. It should have been enthralling, but I was quite bored for the whole first half of the book, and with a 1400 page book - that is a lot of boredom. Things got more interesting in the second half as the survivors begin to re-build society and I was into it by the very end. I'm glad that I took the time to read it but it didn't rock my world at all and I can't even say I would recommend it. Great idea but lacking punch. ( )
  Iudita | Sep 17, 2021 |
In short (well, not so short), this is the book that has everything - adventure, romance, prophecy, allegory, satire, fantasy, realism, apocalypse, etc., etc. Even Roger Rabbit gets mentioned. ''The Stand'' does have some great moments and some great lines... But the overall effect is more oppressive than imposing.

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Körber, JoachimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kell, ChristineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neuhaus, WolfgangÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soares, GilsonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We need help, the Poet reckoned.
--Edward Dorn
Outside the street's on fire In a real death waltz Between what's flesh and what's fantasy And the poets down here Don't write nothing at all They just stand back and let it all be And in the quick of the night They reach for their moment And try to make an honest stand... -- Bruce Springsteen
...And it was clear she couldn't go on, The door was opened and the wind appeared, The candles blew and then disappeared, The curtains flew and then he appeared, Said, "Don't be afraid, Come on, Mary," And she had no fear And she ran to him And they started to fly... She had taken his hand... Come on, Mary, Don't fear the reaper... -- Blue Oyster Cult
Well the deputy walks on hard nails And the preacher rides a mount But nothing really matters much, It's doom alone that counts And the one-eyed undertaker, he blows a futile horn "Come in," she said, "I'll give ya Shelter from the storm." -- Bob Dylan
For my wife Tabitha:

This dark chest of wonders.
Hapscomb's Texaco sat on Number 93 just north of Arnette, a pissant four-street burg about 110 miles from Houston.
"Sally."
They were standing atop a snowbank nearly nine feet high. Crusted snow sloped steeply down to the bare road below, and to the right was a sign which read simply: Boulder City Limits.
"My life for you!"
Please do not combine The Stand (1978) with The Stand: The Complete & Uncut Edition (1990). The latter edition contains over 300 pages of new material and includes subplots and characters not included in the 1978 edition.

ISBNs associated with the Uncut version of The Stand include (0340358955, 0340920955, 0340951443, 0385199570, 038552885X, 0450537374, 0451169530, 0451179285, 0517219018, 1568495714, 270961281X, 3404132130, 3404134117, 340425242X, 3404255240, 840149896, 8497599411, 8573027002, 8789918304, 8845212173, 9021005719, 9024545579, and 9127063631)

When a man crashes his car into a petrol station, he brings with him the foul corpses of his wife and daughter. He dies and it doesn't take long for the plague which killed him to spread across America and the world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,070,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible