The Yellow Birds (2012)

by Kevin Powers

In the midst of a bloody battle in the Iraq War, two soldiers, bound together since basic training, do everything to protect each other from both outside enemies and the internal struggles that come from constant danger.

English (118)  German (2)  Danish (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (125)
Incredible. ( )
  shaundeane | Sep 13, 2020 |
It’s unfortunate that some have found it necessary to deal harshly with this book, though one understands why.

The big commercial publishers have a new game to play whereby they carefully manipulate the media into a foregone conclusion that this writer is the one we have all been waiting for.

Rest here:

http://alittleteaalittlechat.wordpress.com/2014/03/14/the-yellow-birds-by-kevin-... ( )

bringbackbooks | Jun 16, 2020 |
I found The Yellow Birds by Kevin Power a very disturbing story about the experiences of soldiers serving in Iraq. The author himself enlisted in the Army at the age of seventeen and served as a machine-gunner in Iraq. When he writes about soldiers keeping themselves awake by rubbing Tabasco sauce into their eyes or taking amphetamines, he is drawing on his own experience.

The novel follows Private Bartle on his journey and we experience the fear of combat along with him. We also experience his slow shut-down and mental withdrawal as the war takes its toll on him and the soldiers he is serving with. As well as the cost and futility of war, we also see how difficult it was for Bartle to rediscover his life when he does return home. He leaves the war, but the war never leaves him.

Yellow Birds is a lyrical and haunting story as the main character comes to terms with the brutal and inexplicable loss of his friend, Murphy, and the role he himself may have played in the incident. The story unfolds in a non-linear style that illustrates the inner conflict of this soldier. Yellow Birds is not a book to be read for enjoyment and unfortunately I am not in a good place right now for the senseless violence and meaningless despair that is so brilliantly described here at another time I would probably rate this even higher. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Feb 6, 2020 |
A remarkable, beautifully understated, powerful, yet poised novel.

The novel moves, fitfully, through Virginia and Iraq and Germany and New Jersey and Kentucky, from 2003 to 2009. Recalling the war, Bartle says, is “like putting a puzzle together from behind: the shapes familiar, the picture quickly fading, the muted tan of the cardboard backing a tease at wholeness and completion.” This serves the story in two ways. First, it turns readers into active participants, enlisting them in a sense as co-authors who fit together the many memories and guess at what terrible secret lies in wait, the truth behind Murphy’s death. Because they lean forward instead of back, because they participate in piecing together the puzzle, they are made more culpable.

Then too, the fractured structure replicates the book’s themes. Like a chase scene made up of sentences that run on and on and ultimately leave readers breathless, or like a concert description that stops and starts, that swings and sways, that makes us stamp our feet and clap our hands — the nonlinear design of Powers’s novel is a beautifully brutal example of style matching content. War destroys. It doesn’t just rip through bone and muscle, stone and steel; it fragments the mind as a fist to a mirror might create thousands of bloodied, glittering shards.

...and while few will have expected the war in Iraq to bring forth a novel that can stand beside All Quiet on the Western Front or The Red Badge of Courage, The Yellow Birds does just that, for our time, as those books did for theirs.
added by Milesc | editThe Guardian, John Burnside (Aug 31, 2012)

Powers, KevinAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abelsen, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

A yellow bird   With a yellow bill   Was perched upon   My windowsill     I lured him in   With a piece of bread   And then I smashed   His fucking head.. ----- Traditional U.S. Army Marching Cadence ------
To be ignorant of evils to come, and forgetfull of evils past, is a mercifull provision in nature, whereby we digest the mixture of our few and eveil dayes, and our delivered senses not relapsing into cutting remembrances, our sorrows are not kept raw by the edge of repetitions.   ----- Sir Thomas Browne
For my wife
Στη γυναίκα μου
The war tried to kill us in the spring.
If you get back to the States in your head before your ass is there too, then you are a fucking dead man.
It reminded me of talking, how what is said is never quite what was thought, and what is heard is never quite what was said, it wasn't much in the way of comfort, but everything has a little failure in it, and we still make do somehow.

Bartle , 21 ans , est soldat en Irak à Al Tafar. Depuis l'entraînement , lui et Murph , 18 an sont inseparables . Bartle a fait la promesse de le ramener vivant au pays . Une promesse qu'il n'a pas pu tenir ... Murphy hante dès lors ses rêves de soldat et , plus tard de veteran.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,931,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible