Ever After

by Kim Harrison

Series: The Hollows (11)

When Rachel sets off a chain of events that could lead to the end of the world - demonic and human--she must use her gifts to save those closest to her while preventing an apocalypse.

It's been quite a long time since I read the tenth book in the series and worried that I'd forget what had happened previously but I needn't have worried, after the first chapter I felt like I was back visiting an old friend I hadn't seen in a while and we were catching up. I won't wait so long before reading the next book, but with only two more in the finished series I don't want to rush it. ( )
  kevn57 | Dec 8, 2021 |
Finished rereading on zat. 6 feb. 2021
Still stand by my critique. But what was up with Quen? Dude I expected more from you...

Edit 19-1-2016:
Mhuhu I'm rereading/relistening this series and this book stays my favourite. Everything comes together: Al, Trent and Rachel.

My only point of critique and that is just because I'm curious: Why did Ceri died off the pages? Why not show us? I really liked her and would have loved to see how to proud noble woman died for a just cause..

Original entry 30-01-2013:
Read it in one day. Love this series. ( )
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
Satisfying. It did occur to me at the end of this book that this universe is very determined by races (witch, demon, elf, etc.). It's sort of a weird constraint. Why can't Trent (elf) and Rachel (demon) end up together? ( )
  Je9 | Aug 10, 2021 |
This is where I choose to end the series. This one had everything that the past few have been missing. ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
This review is also featured on Behind the Pages: Ever After

Rachel is really in for it this time. The ley line she tore through realities has sprung a major leak, and the Ever After is shrinking. She knows Ku’Sox has to be involved, but without proof, the demons won’t do a thing to help her. Time is not on her side. If she can’t fix the line, the demons are ready to kill her in a last-ditch effort to fix it.

Ever After really put Rachel to the test. Every time she seemed to gain an inch, it was taken away from her. But instead of giving up, she came back swinging. She knew the odds were stacked against her from the start, but she refused to back down and let Ku’Sox win. I have always admired Rachel's ability to take hits and keep on moving. She is a determined and ambitious woman I love to read about.

I do have to say though, there were some major moments in this book that fell flat. Some of the core characters throughout this series only earned summarized scenes and the impact of their actions fell short. I do understand the reason behind this tactic. I don’t think there was a way to give them more page time given the way the story flowed. But I’m still wishing they had more time with the readers.

That being said, Ever After is still a great action filled and fast-paced read. Kim Harrison has such a talent for building up characters readers once hated and turning them into people we root for in the end. When I first revisited this series, I couldn't believe I ended up liking certain characters. But you know what? I totally see it now because once again my opinions of them have done a complete turnaround. Kim adds so much to her characters and brings them through fantastic character arcs.

The Hollows series is great for readers that are driven by character development. Each character, no matter their part in the story is complex and evolves with each new installment to the series. And there is never a dull moment. Rachel is always on the move and taking on her next challenge. ( )
  Letora | Mar 26, 2021 |

Kim Harrisonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the only man I'd make
butterscotch pudding for
I'd like to thank my editor,
Diane Gill
and my agent
Richard Curtis,
who have each helped shape the Hollows in uncountable ways.
This is close enough.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,898,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible