Lifeboat No. 8: An Untold Tale of Love,…

Lifeboat No. 8: An Untold Tale of Love, Loss, and Surviving the Titanic (edition 2018)

by Elizabeth Kaye (Author)

As the Titanic was sinking, who would make it off alive? The two cousins who had been so eager to see their first iceberg? The maid who desperately tried to escape with the baby in her care? The young newlyweds who'd booked passage despite warnings?Now, more than one hundred years after that disastrous and emblematic voyage, Elizabeth Kaye reveals the extraordinary, little-known story of the people who left the doomed ship on Lifeboat No. 8. A Second Edition of the New York Times and Kindle Singles #1 bestseller, it has been freshly edited and expanded by the author with new material.… (more)
Member:MBeedham.ELA5
Title:Lifeboat No. 8: An Untold Tale of Love, Loss, and Surviving the Titanic
Authors:Elizabeth Kaye (Author)
Info:The Sager Group LLC (2018), Edition: 2, 66 pages
Rating:***

Lifeboat No. 8: An Untold Tale of Love, Loss, and Surviving the Titanic (Kindle Single) by Elizabeth Kaye

One hundred years after the sinking of the Titanic, this book has stories of the survivors who were some of the first to make it of the boat. On couple bound for California the start an orange farm, along with a new life. While Roberta and Jack fall in love hoping to make it to land. All that’s happening in rowing through freezing, icy, black water. As he remains on the ship, Roberta on Lifeboat No.8. So then he sends out the first SOS signal just in time before his life is taken by freezing cold water. The emotions of the people on the lifeboat, scared that they will die in the North Atlantic. Although everyone survives, but the memories still haunt them.
This book was very frightening, even for me. I can’t imagine your life turning on a dime like that. Hearing the true tales of all these people’s perspectives rally made me wonder. Although, I thought it could be a little more suspenseful for being such a great story and storyline. I really wish I felt the romance too. I would recommend this book to anyone studying the Titanic. This non-fiction was actually interesting compared to some books at least. To conclude, this book was decent for how short it was. ( )
  MBeedham.ELA5 | Jan 14, 2020 |
A very quick read, drawn together from eye witness accounts and interviews from newspapers, it tells the story of several survivors who escaped the Titanic on Lifeboat No. 8. It is well written and heartfelt. It describes acts of bravery and selflessness as well as leaving an aura of heart rending sorrow for those who did not survive. A nice little read for anyone interested in the Titanic. ( )
  KatiaMDavis | Dec 19, 2017 |
Worth reading for anyone interested in the Titanic. ( )
  NewLiz | May 26, 2015 |
Lifeboat No. 8 is literally the story of how the passengers in lifeboat no. 8 came to be there. Nothing earth shattering; they were all women except for the Captain and 2 oarers. The short story focused on two of these women, period. After I read it I asked, why? Why was this written and why did I read it? Also, the numbers in the book concerning deaths was totally off. ( )
  tess_schoolmarm | Sep 3, 2013 |
This is a novelised version of what happened on the Titanic's lifeboat no 8 (the one where the women did the rowing and some of the seamen refused to turn back to pick up any survivors). It is based on testimony from those survivors, so is historically accurate, as far as it can reasonably be, given the likelihood of differing perceptions of the truth under such extreme stress; and allowing for a measure of creativity in the presentation of the exact dialogue. Although as gripping as one would expect in the right places, it is told in rather a matter of fact way and sheds no real new light on these events. The ship doesn't split in two here. 3.5/5 ( )
  john257hopper | Apr 13, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,638,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible