By The Shores Of Silver Lake by Garth…

By The Shores Of Silver Lake (original 1939; edition 1971)

by Garth Williams (Illustrator), Laura Ingalls Wilder (Author)

Ma and the girls follow Pa west by train where they make their home at a rough railroad camp and plan for their own homestead.
Member:ckadams5
Title:By The Shores Of Silver Lake
Authors:Garth Williams (Illustrator)
Other authors:Laura Ingalls Wilder (Author)
Info:Harper Trophy, Paperback, 290 pages
Tags:basement-shelf-1-btwn-tv-door

By the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls Wilder (1939)

Recently added byIKCLibrarian, private library, SarahKDunsbee, scard2011, clpc.1012, FayFamily, TeresaBee, JBBR
Legacy LibrariesRose Wilder Lane

English (54)  French (1)  All languages (55)
This one took a little longer to get through, I don't think my son finds it as relatable now that Laura is a teen-ager, but he still enjoys hearing about her life. ( )
  emrsalgado | Jul 23, 2021 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 14, 2020 |
I forgot how depressing the beginning of this book is, but it picks up quickly. Laura's internal struggle between what she wants to do and what she's supposed to do, between the infinite metaphorical world of her heart and mind and the contained literal world that is her scope as a young woman in the nineteenth century is becoming more central to the stories. My eleven-year-old is re-reading this series again, and I know that her comments to me are just the very tiniest piece of what's going on in her mind about Laura. More and more I'm grateful that my daughter has such good literary friends to help her through her own growing-up. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Jun 28, 2020 |
The Ingalls family moves yet again, heading further west to the Dakota territory, where Pa works for the railroad as a payroll clerk. When the work is done for the summer and all the rail men return east, the Ingalls family stays for the winter, without a neighbor for at least 20 miles. But when spring comes, they have to rush to get their homestead claim in, as a boomtown explodes all around them. ( )
  fingerpost | Jun 1, 2020 |

Laura Ingalls Wilderprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hallqvist, Britt G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, CherryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laura was washing the dishes one morning when old Jack, lying in the sunshine on hthe doorstep, growled to tell her that someone was coming.
ISBN 0064400034 is for Farmer Boy by Laura Wilder Ingalls.

Laura Ingalls and her family move to the unsettled wilderness of the Dakota Territory, where they become the first settlers in the brand-new town of DeSmet.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,589,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible