By the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura…

By the Shores of Silver Lake (original 1939; edition 1967)

by Laura Ingalls Wilder (Author)

Ma and the girls follow Pa west by train where they make their home at a rough railroad camp and plan for their own homestead.
Member:EvaMarieR
Title:By the Shores of Silver Lake
Authors:Laura Ingalls Wilder (Author)
Info:scholastic (1967), Edition: Reprint

By the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls Wilder (1939)

Recently added byprivate library, BookEndsIntl, Fyre39, Bramble98, lilithburns, KnappLibrary, amcornerpg, Catsandmice
Legacy LibrariesRose Wilder Lane

English (48)  French (1)  All languages (49)
Pioneer lesson ( )
  KaylynContreras | Oct 7, 2019 |
This might be my favorite of the series so far. From the start of the book we know this is a time of change. Mary has gone blind from scarlet fever, the family rides a train for the first time, they move into a shanty in a railroad town, etc. I love Laura's adventurous spirit. Even when her path crosses with wolves, she's almost more concerned with their welfare than her own.

There are some intense parts in this book as well (SPOILERS AHEAD). The death of their sweet dog Jack, the confrontation of Pa on payday by angry workers, the moment when the youngest Ingalls daughter, Grace, goes missing, and a scuffle when Pa fights to place his claim for their homestead plot. Life on the prairie was not for the faint of heart.

I'm continually impressed with Pa's moral compass and the way he treated his wife and daughters. Even though Ma is quiet, he looks to her before making big decisions. They do not allow themselves to go into debt or take charity, but when an opportunity presents itself, like the chance to stay in the surveyor's house for the winter, they aren't too prideful to take it.

I've grown to love the Ingalls family already and can't believe it took me so long to read this series. ( )
  bookworm12 | Jul 18, 2019 |
Laura and her family are heading West. Laura and Pa are excited, though Ma is a bit hesitant, but Pa has promised they will find a homestead and settle down, and the girls can go to school.

This is such a great series! There were some beautiful descriptions of the Prairies (there were also some “extra” descriptions (of the prairie and other things) as Laura was Mary’s eyes, as Mary had recently gone blind after a bout with scarlet fever). I also really enjoyed the building of the town. You just don’t think about what it takes to start from scratch with no one else around and to watch a town be built from nothing! ( )
  LibraryCin | Apr 19, 2019 |
I love this series!!! These are my favorites!!! ( )
  dbailey25 | Feb 24, 2019 |
Starts sad, especially for poor Mary. But there is a new Ingalls too, baby Grace! And a new direction in the writing, as I felt like this was the most descriptive book of the series yet! Maybe that was due to Mary's affliction, or maybe it was just the growth of the author. Either way, I liked it!

This book also finds the family on the movie, again. This time, they end up in the Dakotas. There's a lot of writing, and description of the railroad and the family's hunt for a homestead. And of course, just life itself, including another Christmas! I've written this before, but I am enjoying this series and I'm glad my daughter has shared this with me! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Mar 21, 2018 |

Laura Ingalls Wilderprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hallqvist, Britt G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, CherryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laura was washing the dishes one morning when old Jack, lying in the sunshine on hthe doorstep, growled to tell her that someone was coming.
ISBN 0064400034 is for Farmer Boy by Laura Wilder Ingalls.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,770,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible