The Racketeer: A Novel by John Grisham

The Racketeer: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Grisham (Author)

Given the importance of what they do, and the controversies that often surround them, and the violent people they sometimes confront, it is remarkable that in the history of this country only four active federal judges have been murdered. Judge Raymond Fogletree just became number five. His body was found in the basement of a lakeside cabin he had built himself and frequently used on weekends. When he did not show up for a trial on Monday morning, his law clerks panicked, called the FBI, and in due course the agents found the crime scene. There was no forced entry, no struggle, just two dead bodies, Judge Fogletree and his young secretary. I did not know Judge Fogletree, but I know who killed him, and why. I am a lawyer, and I am in prison. It's a long story.… (more)
Member:lisamccall
Title:The Racketeer: A Novel
Authors:John Grisham (Author)
Info:Dell (2012), 353 pages

Work Information

The Racketeer by John Grisham (2012)

Recently added byprivate library, gholbut, ytvd1953, Arina8888, istefansky, ecb06c, FOURSEASONS333, eifelzwerg

English (114)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (122)
I don't get all the hate the book gets in the reviews here. For me it was so cool! The plot, the pace, everything. Perhaps I didn't like the characters that much but I didn't feel that I actually need to like them in this kind of book to enjoy the story. For me it was all about the plot, the intricate plan that slowly becomes reality. I don't even care how far-fetched it is, I was hooked and that's what matters.
I finished the second half in one sitting, and honestly can't wait to start another one of Grisham's books. ( )
  alissee | Dec 8, 2021 |
Enjoyable fictional story of an imprisoned African American lawyer whose life changes when he 'helps' the FBI following the murder of a federal judge. Plenty of plot twists. ( )
  cbinstead | Sep 30, 2021 |
Well, I think Grisham's finally done it. Unless he spits something out that gets positive reviews across the board, I'm pretty much done with reading anything else by him. His past four books--including this one--were passable at best and horrible at the worst. This one was horrible. My God, for the guy that plotted the tight thriller that was The Firm seems now to have no concept of pacing anymore. He brings up a character, has him arrested, then essentially forgets him for half the book. At one point, one character has to get another one to uncover a hidden cache of gold bars. He knows there's two King snakes that live there, but chooses to not tell this to the woman he loves...and the snakes never show up. So why even mention them? Awful. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
A surprise ending but, overall, a less-than-stellar effort from this prolific author. Nowadays I find many lesser known authors telling better stories better. ( )
  ChetBowers | Mar 10, 2021 |
Another great book by John Grisham. It kept me guessing to the end. Want to see this on the big screen! ( )
  xKayx | Dec 14, 2020 |
Grisham’s novel has been hanging around the best-seller lists for a few weeks now. It’s easy to see why. Grisham is the master of the school of telling the readers what happens rather than showing them, and there’s a huge market for that kind of thing.

In the new book, an Afro-American lawyer is sentenced to prison for a white collar crime he didn’t commit. He sets out to get even with the FBI, the prosecutors and everybody else who locked him up. In ways that might baffle even the Perry Masons of the world, the jailed lawyer succeeds.
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jan 11, 2013)

John Grishamprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beutnagel, Jofre HomedesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sappinen, Jorma-VeikkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

I am a lawyer, and I am in prison. It's a long story.

Complex scam by framed black lawyer Malcom Bannister to get revenge on the US govt for wrekcing his life

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,172,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible