Little House on the Prairie (Laura Years,…

Little House on the Prairie (Laura Years, #2) (original 1935; edition 1994)

by Garth Williams

A family travels from the big woods of Wisconsin to a new home on the prairie, where they build a house, meet neighboring Indians, build a well, and fight a prairie fire.
Member:chauveaux
Title:Little House on the Prairie (Laura Years, #2)
Authors:Garth Williams
Info:HarperTrophy, Paperback, 335 pages

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (1935)

English (173)  French (1)  All languages (174)
I remember enjoying the first book in the series, Little House in the Big Woods, as a child and loving both it and the TV series, Little House on the Prairie. I didn't quite remember if I had read Little House on the Prairie, so I decided to listen to the audio book, seeing how it fit into my remembrances. This book takes place mostly in Kansas, on the prairie, before the family settles back in the town of Walnut Grove where the beloved TV series is set. As an adult, I can understand it as a historical memoir, complete with lots of details of the adventures of surviving and homesteading out West. But the way indigenous people are depicted needs companion discussions. ( )
  deslivres5 | Sep 14, 2019 |
4.9, 4-8
  CurrColl | Sep 12, 2019 |
Having grown up outside the US, I never read these books as a kid, and they're actually very interesting as an adult still learning about the country. In fact, I'm not convinced this should be a childrens' book, because being written from a small child's perspective means it only vaguely hints at the evil backdrop of the story. But the first-person perspective brings the experience of being a Pioneer much more alive than any historical text I've read, and as someone who very much buys into the "the Pioneers perpetrated gross acts of ethnic cleansing" view espoused by that linked article it was actually kind of refreshing to read an account that humanises them.

This book romanticises the Pioneer life considerably, but not to the point of airbrushing out all the difficulties and discomforts, and it was actually a lot less of a propaganda tract than I had expected it to be. Definitely worth reading as an adult, with knowledge of the background. ( )
1 vote eldang | Aug 11, 2019 |
This series is such a delight. Each of their adventures and struggles is seen through the eyes of young Laura. I love the honesty and innocence that comes from that. I love her Pa's strength and character. Laura's parents are a team and despite their hardships, they never stop supporting and loving each other. This book covers their time in Indian country. There's a scene where they cross the river in their covered wagon that was particularly harrowing. ( )
  bookworm12 | Jun 28, 2019 |
Some years back, I picked up a copy of Willa Cather's My Antonia at a church fair book table. I figured I might try to read it. I vaguely remember that my older sister had been forced to read it in junior high and had hated the experience. Could it be all that bad a book? Nope, it was actually quite good. Also, I realized about half way through the book that it was about my grandmother and her parents. My grandmother had been a little girl on a homestead in Dakota Territory. Her parents then fled the snow and cold of Dakota in a covered wagon and ended up in Kansas, which was where I got to know my grandmother. Suffice to say, I got interested in life on the prairies back in the day. So, I read more Willa Cather. Then I discovered Oscar Micheaux, who had been an African American homesteader in Dakota.

Almost exactly two years ago, I discovered Little House in the Big Woods on one of the Gutenberg sites and re-read it. I had first read it back in the dark ages when I was in elementary school and Eisenhower was the President. Naturally, I wanted to move on to the Prairie, but none of the other Laura Ingalls Wilder books were available on Gutenberg sites, nor on my library's Overdrive site. Just recently, I discovered our library now did carry those books, so immediately put a hold on this one, Little House on the Prairie.

It's interesting to me that this book and the one that precedes it are a sort of how-to version of life back in the day: how to kill a hog; how to make soap; how to make a log cabin; how to dig a well; and so forth. The stories are rather sanitized and idealized. My spouse finds them sick-making to read these days because things are so saccharine. I didn't mind that much. I loved the lyrical descriptions of the prairie. Not only did I visit my grandmother in Kansas a number of times, but I actually lived there for two years as an adult and wrote my most famous published work while I was there. (don't ask: if you're on GoodReads, it won't be your cup of tea, unless you're a very peculiar kind of physical chemist.) So, I do love me some prairie now and again and like revisiting it occasionally, if only in literature.

Anyway, I liked this book rather well. I was appalled by the racist handling of the interactions with Indians (a.k.a. Native Americans), but the book was a product of it's time. One needs to point this out if one is reading to their children or grandchildren these days, and discuss how we need to recalibrate our thinking about other people.
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |

Taula, S. S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tholema, A.C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A long time ago, when all the grandfathers and grandmothers of today were little boys and little girls or very small babies, or perhaps not even born, Pa and Ma and Mary and Laura and Baby Carrie left their little house in the Big Woods of Wisconsin.
Wild animals would not stay in a country where there were so many people. Pa did not like to stay, either. He liked a country where the wild animals lived without being afraid. He liked to see the little fawns and their mothers looking at him from the shadowy woods, and the fat, lazy bears eating berries in the wild-berry patches.
ISBN 0064400042 is also for On the Banks of Plum Creek

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,086,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible