Red Country (First Law World) by Joe…

Red Country (First Law World) (edition 2013)

by Joe Abercrombie (Author)

Shy South hoped to bury her bloody past and ride away smiling, but she'll have to sharpen up some bad old ways to get her family back, and she's not a woman to flinch from what needs doing. She sets off in pursuit with only her cowardly old stepfather Lamb for company. But it turns out Lamb's buried a bloody past of his own. Their journey will take them across the barren plains to a frontier town gripped by gold fever, through feud, duel and massacre, high into the unmapped mountains to a reckoning with the Ghosts. Even worse, it will force them into alliance with Nicomo Cosca, infamous soldier of fortune, and his feckless lawyer Temple, two men no one should ever have to trust...… (more)
Member:fawneileen
Title:Red Country (First Law World)
Authors:Joe Abercrombie (Author)
Info:Orbit (2013), 480 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Audiobook

Work Information

Red Country by Joe Abercrombie

The Incorruptibles by John Hornor Jacobs (DemetriosX)
    DemetriosX: Both books apply western tropes to a fantasy setting (as opposed to weird westerns which apply fantasy elements to tales of the Old West). Both also have strong elements of grimdark. The Incorruptibles has more magic, while Red Country is more cinematic.

English (54)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (57)
Joe Abercrombie tries different things in each of the standalone novels set in the First Law world. In this case, Red Country is a Western. Yes, Western as in the Old West. We have a gold rush, settlers, Indians (here called Ghosts), mining operations, saloons, brothels, lawless towns, booze, caravans, war, along with more fantastic elements... The story, full of recognizable Western tropes, is Unforgiven meets True Grit and Deadwood, Joe Abercrombie style.

While she and her father-figure Lamb were absent, Shy's farm was attacked by outlaws, their friend killed and Shy's little siblings kidnapped. She is not going to take it, and she starts a long pursuit, even if she doesn't expect much help from the gentle and rather cowardly Lamb. However, to everyone's surprise, Lamb hides a violent, bloody past, and a past such as that can't stay buried for ever.

Veteran readers of the series can expect the appearance of some favorite characters, but for new readers the story works well as a standalone. Nevertheless, I would recommend reading these books in order, starting with The Blade Itself, because the references are enjoyable.

The story is pulpy, but well-written, as expected from Mr. Abercrombie. As usual, we have several cynical and/or self-loathing characters (which to be honest can get a bit tiring after six books), but he also has fun with the setting. It's a fun book to read, with interesting characterization and constant action. For my taste, of the three standalones set in this world, Best Served Cold was the weakest, while The Heroes and, even more so, this one are extremely entertaining. This one is in fact more suitable than The Heroes for new readers.

Like all good Westerns, it's also a morality play, for some characters a story of personal redemption, for others of personal damnation. While not perfect (a few minor plot holes and foreseeable plot twists), I found it very enjoyable. ( )
  jcm790 | May 26, 2024 |
DolceAmaro, come ci si aspetta da Abercrombie
La triste apparizione di Brivido, il ritorno di Logen Novedita il Sanguinario, la morte di Nicomo Cosca
  LLonaVahine | May 22, 2024 |
Unlike the other standalone books in 'World of the First Law' which stretch too little across too many pages, this book has the opposite problem. Some great new settings and characters that we don't spend enough time with. It shows, for example, in the evolution of certain children characters whose motivations change faster than the time line makes probable. ( )
  sarcher | Dec 28, 2023 |
I know a lot of people will argue the point with me but for my money Joe Abercrombie is writing the best fantasy out there right now. His books are always gripping. His pace is fast and furious. He is able to make you genuinely care about people in a world of horror. I love that every book is set in the same world but he now makes each novel a complete little nugget on its own.

I won't go into major plot points because I don't want to spoil anything but several old familiar characters appear. Some have their stories end while others spin off in a new direction. I know he will be leaving this world for a little while and I am okay with that but the ending leaves me with great expectations when he decides to return. ( )
  cdaley | Nov 2, 2023 |
Excellent. Nice change of scale for this series - this story doesn't concern itself with empire-shattering battles and politics. No less a good read for it; it's a western, a revenge story crossed with a road trip. It's about love, failure and redemption, large disasters and small victories. Old characters are reinvented, new ones are introduced.

Highly recommended. ( )
  ropable | Aug 20, 2023 |

Joe Abercrombieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Borchardt, KirstenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Graffet, DidierCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Senior, DaveDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Teddy
And Clint Eastwood
But since Clint probably ain't that bothered
Mostly Teddy
'Gold.' Wist made the word sound like a mystery there was no solving. 'Makes men mad.'

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,114,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible