My Sister's Keeper: A Novel (Wsp Readers…

My Sister's Keeper: A Novel (Wsp Readers Club) (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Jodi Picoult (Author)

19,523668180 (3.98)1 / 390
Conceived to provide a bone marrow match for her leukemia-stricken sister, teenage Kate begins to question her moral obligations in light of countless medical procedures and decides to fight for the right to make decisions about her own body. New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult is widely acclaimed for her keen insights into the hearts and minds of real people. Now she tells the emotionally riveting story of a family torn apart by conflicting needs and a passionate love that triumphs over human weakness. Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate -- a life and a role that she has never challenged ... until now. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister -- and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves. My Sister's Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child's life, even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less? Should you follow your own heart, or let others lead you? Once again, in My Sister's Keeper, Jodi Picoult tackles a controversial real-life subject with grace, wisdom, and sensitivity.… (more)
Member:chelseamay12
Title:My Sister's Keeper: A Novel (Wsp Readers Club)
Authors:Jodi Picoult (Author)
Info:Washington Square Press (2005), Edition: Reprint, 448 pages

Work Information

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (2004)

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult (AllieAldy)
    AllieAldy: Another phenomenal book by Jodi Picoult, draws you in and is as suspenseful as My Sister's Keeper.
    The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (_Zoe_)
    The Spare Room by Helen Garner (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult may be paired with The Spare Room by Helen Garner.
    While My Sister Sleeps by Barbara Delinsky (dara85)
    dara85: Both books are about sisters and their love/hate relationships. One sister is faced with a life threating situation.
    Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult (kiwiflowa)
    The Client by John Grisham (ShannonMDE)
    ShannonMDE: I think My Sister's Keeper had the feel of early John Grisham back when he wrote about people instead of corporations.
    Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John (kaledrina)
    The Dive from Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Like My Sister's Keeper, The Dive from Clausen's Pier is a provocative novel that asks a difficult, complex question -- what responsibility do we have to ourselves and to those we love?
    The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These two novels share similar subject matter (the use of individuals expressly for the donation of organs). However, The Unit is set in a dystopian near-future while My Sister's Keeper is strictly contemporary.
    The Things That Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley (_Zoe_)
    Pieces of My Sister's Life by Elizabeth Joy Arnold (SaraAllison)
    Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson (corneggs)
    72 Hour Hold by Bebe Moore Campbell (howelson)
    howelson: Bebe Moore Campbell explores another medical issue affecting family, bipolar disorder.
    Midwives by Chris Bohjalian (CasualFriday)
    How Do You Say Goodbye by Pam Logan (MichelleRuda)
    MichelleRuda: Another one of those books that sucks you in and makes you cry. I love it!
    Perfect by Natasha Friend (BookLover07)
    BookLover07: The book, " Perfect" by Natasha Friend, is such an eye catching book about a 13 year old who is over-whelmed with her body, that she pressures herself to throw up, to make her look thinner. Just when you think that was shocking, read on what happens next (:… (more)

English (652)  German (5)  Dutch (3)  Lithuanian (3)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (665)
This book totally wrecked me at the end. 400 pages of thought provoking medical ethics going through my head and then quickly the last 20 pages had me bawling like a baby. Whew. ( )
  WellReadSoutherner | Apr 6, 2022 |
You almost had me, Jodi. Almost. After hearing glowing gushes from my girlfriends about your writing, I finally decided to give you a try. I was spellbound and emotionally taken into the tragedy of this family and Anna's right to choose what to do with her body ... [spoiler alert] ... until you conveniently killed her off! I would have had so much more respect if you had allowed Anna to truly answer the question as to whether to continue to be a donor to her sister or not. Ethical questions/debates get thrown out of the window when you have such a contrived ending. I am so DISAPPOINTED! ( )
  crabbyabbe | Mar 30, 2022 |
After awhile I could not put the book down. The ending was completely unexpected. ( )
  Dairyqueen84 | Mar 15, 2022 |
Like all her books this features a moral dilemma told from the viewpoints of all the people concerned.

Sara and Brian have two children but when Kate is diagnosed with leukemia at the age of two the only important thing is to get her better. The only problem is her brother Jesse isn't compatible. So they undergo selection of an embryo who will be the perfect donor.

Anna undergoes many processes to help her sister but at thirteen hires a lawyer so she has control of what she does and this means Kate will most likely die.

We are shown the parents' anguish as they desperately try to persuade Anna she's making a mistake. Anna is resolute in her actions.

The lawyer Campbell has a dog who he says is a service dog but he won't say why and this adds a light hearted touch.

The reader is taken through the journey with the parents and also Anna and can see both sides of an impossible dilemma which cannot conclude to everyone's satisfaction.

There are some twists and turns some of which I saw coming but others were totally unexpected. The ending in some ways was too tidy but it's still plausible.

Yet again Jodi Picoult has written a thought provoking book ( )
  Northern_Light | Feb 25, 2022 |
Absolutely unputdownable although annoying at times. Minus one star for the lame, soap opera ending. ( )
  alissee | Dec 8, 2021 |
This all feels like some awkward combination of a sci-fi novel and a movie on the Lifetime Channel.

Om utgivelsen :

Anna er ikke syk, men hun kunne like gjerne vært det. I løpet av sitt trettenårige liv har hun gjennomgått utallige operasjoner. Hun har nemlig blitt satt til verden for at hennes beinmarg skal redde den eldre søsteren, Kate, fra leukemien hun lider av. Men nå har Anna for første gang begynt å stille spørsmål ved hvem hun egentlig er, og hvem hun ønsker å være. Er hun noe mer enn sin søsters livredder?

For Anna tvinger det seg fram en umulig avgjørelse. En avgjørelse som skal splitte familien og som kanskje får fatale følger for Kate.

Min søsters vokter er en sterk og gripende bok om en familie som befinner seg i en uløselig situasjon. Jodi Picoult er en mester i å skrive innsiktsfullt og engasjerende om viktige moralske spørsmål, og holder leseren fanget helt til siste side er lest.

Jodi Picoultprimary authorall editionscalculated
Poe, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stechschulte, TomNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Timmermann, KlausÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasel, UlrikeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No one starts a war - or rather, no one in his sense ought to do so - without first being clear in his mind what he intends to achieve by that war and how he intends to conduct it. - Carl Von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege.
Brother, I am fire
Surging under ocean floor.
I shall never meet you, brother--
Not for years, anyhow;
Maybe thousands of years, brother.
Then I will warm you,
Hold you close, wrap you in circles,
Use you and change you--
Maybe thousands of years, brother.
---Carl Sandburg, "Kin"
My candle burns at both ends. It will not last the night. But oh my foes and oh my friends! It makes a lovely light! --Edna St. Vincent Millay "First Fig"
I will read ashes for you, if you ask me.
I will look in the fire and tell you from the gray lashes
And out of the red and black tongues and stripes,
I will tell how fire comes
And how fire runs as far as the sea.
---Carl Sandburg, "Fire Pages"
You, if you were sensible, When I tell you the stars flash signals, each one dreadful, You would not turn and answer me "The night is wonderful." --D.H. Lawrence, "Under the Oak"
To the Currans: The best family members we're not technically related to. thanks for being such a big part of our lives.
When I was little, the great mystery to me wasn't how babies were made, but why.
In my family, we seem to have a tortured history of not saying what we ought to and not meaning what we do.
[My sister] and I are Siamese twins; you just can't see the spot where we're connected. Which makes separation that much more difficult.
True love is felonious. You take someone's breath away. You rob them of the ability to utter a single word. You steal a heart. It's not a misdemeanor... once you're in, it's for life. (paraphrased)
The human capacity for burden is like bamboo-- far more flexible than you'd ever believe at first glance.
Summertime is a collective unconscious. We all remember the notes that made up the song of the ice cream man; we all know what it feels like to brand our thighs on a playground slide that's heated up like a knife ina fire; we all have lain on our backs with our eyes closed and our hearts beating across the surface of our lids, hoping that this day will stretch just a little longer than the last one, when in fact it's all going in the other direction.
This work should only be the unabridged novel of My Sister's Keeper. Please do NOT combine it with the 2009 movie of the same title that is based on this book. Thank you.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,288,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible