Dick Francis's Bloodline (2012)

by Felix Francis

When race caller and television presenter Mark Shillingford calls a race in which his twin sister, Clare, an accomplished and successful jockey, comes in second when she could have won, he believes the worst: that she lost on purpose, and the race was fixed. That night, Mark confronts Clare with his suspicions, she storms off after an argument--and it's the last time Mark sees her alive. Hours later, Clare jumps to her death from the balcony of a London hotel; or so it seems. Devastated and guilty over her death, Mark goes in search of answers. What had led Clare to take her own life? Or was it not suicide at all?… (more)

I think Felix is doing a fine job carrying on his father's legacy. I liked this. It had the feel of a DF novel. The plot was pretty sound and all the elements made sense and worked together. I don't think a Francis fan would be disappointed in this one. ( )
  Luziadovalongo | Jul 14, 2022 |
Race commentator's sister is killed. The sister is a jockey and there is a question as to whether she took bribes.
  BLTSbraille | Sep 13, 2021 |
Well. Very good mystery - at one point, I was puzzled, thinking that I wasn't recognizing the story but I must have read this before because I've read all of Dick Francis' books...took me a minute to remember this is by Felix. He really caught his father's style in this one. Including all the technical details of another odd occupation - race commentating, here - and another style of dysfunctional family. Oh, and one more thing - a title that really doesn't relate very well to the story (I doubt I'll be able to remember what story goes with this title, in a month or so). I like Mark, and it's a real shame about the deaths - such a waste (well, some of them). And with all that said - I really wasn't in the mood for this, it's a bit too dark and sad for me right now. I had to push myself to finish it - glad I did though, at least it comes to a solid conclusion. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jan 2, 2021 |
Dick Francis' son Felix is really shaping up to be a wonderful author, just like his dad. His style is even somewhat reminiscent of his father. I enjoyed every bit of this novel, and I fully expect to read any more in the future, when they come out. ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
Felix Francis has continued his father's formula of writing a mystery which teaches readers something about horse racing and about another profession. This is one of my favorite things about these books. The main character didn't seem to have as much emotional depth, as though the words and the character didn't quite mesh, but it was still an interesting story. It has been a while since I read a book in one day but this one kept me entertained and enlightened. ( )
  400mom | Nov 23, 2016 |
With my special thanks to
Mike Cattermole,
race caller and TV presenter,
to all my friends at

Channel 4 Racing
and
BBC Radio 5 Live
for their help and encouragement,
and, as always, to Debbie
"They're off!"

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,266,675 books! | Top bar: Always visible