Strange but True: A Novel (P.S.) by John…

Strange but True: A Novel (P.S.) (original 2004; edition 2005)

by John Searles

Member:stacys13
Title:Strange but True: A Novel (P.S.)
Authors:John Searles
Info:Harper Perennial (2005), Paperback, 336 pages

Strange but True by John Searles (2004)

A great read. Searles never disappoints. This is a story of suspense but infused with wit and mystery. The cast of characters is this novel are so well written and so interesting. Philip must confront his past along with his mother and this journey is filled with many ups and downs. When Ronnie's high school girl friend shows up and drops her bombshell, I was sucked in. I couldn't put this one down. ( )
  bnbookgirl | May 14, 2018 |
This was a tough read for me. I think it was because the plot seems to be bouncing around all over the place. ( )
  EctopicBrain | Jul 31, 2012 |
Brief Description: Philip Chase has moved back home with his mother Charlene after suffering a fall from his New York apartment. Charlene, who never really recovered from the death of her youngest son Ronnie five years earlier, has turned into a bitter overeater—filled with anger at Ronnie’s death and her divorce from her husband Richard (who is now remarried). When Ronnie’s old girlfriend, Melissa Moody, shows up unexpectedly and tells Philip and Charlene that she is pregnant and she thinks Ronnie is the father, it sets into motion a series of events that take us into the past and into a rather strange and unexpected present.

My Thoughts: I didn’t really expect much from this book (which I picked up for the Take A Chance challenge) and was pleasantly surprised to find it to be an engrossing and affecting read that surprised me midway with a major U-turn that was unexpected but thrilling. I know the plot might sound a bit weird/paranormalish, but the book is fully grounded in reality and deals more with lost souls and desperate, lonely people than with the paranormal. As I got to know Philip, Charlene and Melissa, I wanted all of them to find the happy ending that they deserved. I was surprised how much I got involved in their stories, and Searles does a wonderful job of developing these characters so that they feel real and lived-in. And, as I mentioned, the book takes a rather strange turn in the middle, which I found both shocking but oddly pleasing in its weirdness. If you’re looking for a different read that will both surprise you and affect you emotionally, try this book. It was an unexpected delight. ( )
  Jenners26 | May 21, 2011 |
This book was very strange, just like the title. The main characters were extremely unlikable for the most part, but that is what made this book work. It was suspenseful and very interesting. I recommend it! ( )
  WittyreaderLI | Jul 20, 2006 |

Searles, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Weintraub, AbbyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This story is for Thomas Caruso
Almost five years after Ronnie Chase's death, the phone rings late one windy February evening.

After a mysterious fall from his Manhattan apartment, Philip Chase has moved home with his mother, Charlene, a bitter woman who has never fully accepted the death ofher younger son, Ronnie, five years earlier. Numb from watching too much TV and trading snipes with his mother, Philip is in stasis. But everything changes one winter night when Ronnie's high school girlfriend shows up on their doorstep to deliver the news that she is pregnant ... and the father, she claims, is Ronnie.

So begins the startling tale as Philip and his mother confront Melissa's past and their own. Their search for answers takes them on an emotional journey, placing them in the path of murder and revenge. At once a moving story of redemption and a heart-stopping work of suspense, Strange but True brings to life a cast of characters that no reader will soon forget.

This P.S. edition features an extra 16 pages of insights into the book, including author interviews, recommended reading, and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:20 -0400)

"August 1863. Henry Ireland, a failed landowner, dies unexpectedly in a riding accident, leaving a highly strung young widow. Not far away lives Ireland's friend James Dixey, a celebrated naturalist who collects strange trophies - a stuffed bear, a pet mouse, and a wolf that he keeps caged in the grounds of his decaying house, lost in the fog on the edge of the fens.""The poachers, Dewar and Dunbar, with their cargo of pilfered eggs; Esther the observant kitchen maid, pining to be reunited with her vanished admirer; the ancient lawyer Mr. Crabbe, made careless by snobbery; John Carstairs, in search of his cousin, the elusive widow; an enigmatic debt-collector, busily plotting an audacious robbery; various lowlife henchmen; a beady-eyed country curate who sees more than he should; and Captain McTurk of Scotland Yard, patiently investigating the circumstances of Mr. Ireland's death and many other things besides - all are drawn into a net of intrigue with wide and sinister implications."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

John Searles is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,080,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible