The Contender by Robert Lipsyte

The Contender (edition 2018)

by Robert Lipsyte (Author)

Member:dbaltrus20
Title:The Contender
Authors:Robert Lipsyte (Author)
Info:HarperCollins (2018), Edition: Reissue, 176 pages

The Contender by Robert Lipsyte

Quick and easy read that is enjoyable and provides a good message. Through hard work and determination, the main character Alfred (literally) fights his way to the top and along the way, learns more about the world and himself from his trainer Donatelli. ( )
  dbaltrus20 | Nov 8, 2018 |
  BRCSBooks | Sep 2, 2013 |
older students, 4-6th. Its a book about sports, so it brings in boys and those who normally wouldn't read, but have an interest in it.
  ChelseaBell | Apr 23, 2013 |
I was surprised by how much I liked this book. I don't normally read sports fiction and I would never have picked this up if I didn't have to read it for school. I found the training scenes to be really interesting although I have no sense of how accurate they are because I know nothing about boxing. I did find some of the actual fight scenes to be difficult to follow, but that didn't bother me at all. Alfred's journey to manhood (with boxing as the metaphor of choice) was engrossing and sympathetic. If I can find the time, I think I would actually be interested in reading the rest of Lipsyte's works. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
Alfred is a highschool dropout. His best friend struggling with drug addiction and his job isn't a career path. He decides to join a Donatelli's Gym, a local gym that trains boxers. Here Alfred learns that boxing is a better path than gangs and drugs which his neighborhood is full of.
  cfordLIS722 | May 3, 2012 |
For my mother and father
He waited on the stoop until twilight, pretending to watch the sun melt into the dirty gray Harlem sky.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064470393, Mass Market Paperback)

Alfred's life is going nowhere fast. He's a high-school dropout working at a grocery store. His best friend is drifting behind a haze of drugs and violence, and now some street punks are harassing him for something he didn't do. Feeling powerless and afraid, Alfred gathers up the courage to visit Donatelli's Gym, the neighborhood's boxing club. He wants to be a champion--on the streets and in his own life. Alfred doesn't quite understand when Mr. Donatelli tells him, "It's the climbing that makes the man. Getting to the top is an extra reward." In the end, he learns that a winner isn't necessarily the one standing when the fight is over. Teens and adults alike will be knocked out by this powerful story of how a frightened boy becomes a man.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:34 -0400)

A Harlem high school dropout escapes from a gang of punks into a boxing gym, where he learns that being a contender is hard and often discouraging work, but that you don't know anything until you try.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,264,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible