HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Tully by Paullina Simons
Loading...

Tully (1994)

by Paullina Simons

Other authors: See the other authors section.

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
595816,490 (3.67)4
None
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 4 mentions

Showing 1-5 of 8 (next | show all)
I didn't really enjoy this book yet found I had to see how it ended. The main character is unlikable and is consistently making and remaking the same mistakes. Yes she had a difficult childhood and is emotionally scarred but it is no excuse for how she treats those who do care about her. She is full of self pity and never gets past this. I guess I had hoped for a happy transformation ending yet the conclusion was unremarkable. ( )
  Whitneyadela | Jul 4, 2015 |
Revision 31/05/2014

Hace poco lei una reseña sobre la adaptacion cinematografica de la novela DIVERGENT donde se sostenia : "(DIvergent) es entretenida , si podes olvidar lo que esta diciendo"

Creo que no hay mejor frase para explicar lo que yo siento con los libros de SImons -- en especial con Tully (bah todos , en realidad ) . Me gustan , son entretenidos , a veces hasta me emocionan ... pero , ojo! , siempre y cuando puedo dejar de lado la intencion de la autora al escibirlo ; es decir , me gustan muchisimo mas si me hago la boluda y no veo los mensajes escondidos , las "moralejas" y la ideas ultraderechistas (como en EL JINETE DE BRONCE ... muy mal ahi la autora , muy muy mal) .

(Obvio que para hacerme la tonta , la historia tiene que ofrecerme algo profundo , una historia de amor digna o situacion de familia, de tension , de misterio muuuuy atrapante y en donde no inflluyan las creencias de su autor .)

Tully no es su novela mas ofensiva , mas si tiene muchisimas fallas . Y , a pesar de que la primera vez que la lei , la ame - hoy no me pasa precisamente lo mismo ....

Reseña Original 31/07/2012


Todavìa me cuesta creer que la autora que creò a Alexander Barrington sea la misma que en este libro me regalò a Jack Pendell , a Robin DeMarco y ,màs que nada , a la enigmàtica (aunque en el fondo ,no tanto) TULLY .

El libro empieza con una amistad : con Tully , Jennifer y Julie , las tres de diecisiete años . En el exterior son chicas normales : una bailarina , otra porrista y la otra , indecisa .

Pero , obviamente , nada es lo que parece .

Corre finales de los '70 ,la època de "El Francotirador" y de Pink Floyd (ambos mencionados muchas veces en el libro , sobre todo una escena triste en que Tully observa con cierto temor a su amiga Jenny y le dice de lejos : "Asì que piensas ... Piensas que puedes distinguir el cielo del infierno , los cielos celestes de la lluvia?).

Tully quiere irse a la mierda . Odia a su madre golpeadora , odia su ciudad , su casa . Le molesta todo menos Jenny .

Jenny , en cambio , tiene vida nomàs para Jack Pendell , el gran amor imposible de su vida . Sin embargo , Jack vive para si mismo . Jenny tambièn quiere irse ... para seguir a Jack .

Y asì empieza este libro . Con una amistad inquebrantable y dolor . Mucho dolor y angustia . Toda la angustia junta en doce años en los que se mezclan amores y matrimonios infelices . Tully y las ganas de irse a la mierda , siempre . Ganas tan terribles que no ve lo que existe y gira cerca suyo .

Los amores de Tully son mucho màs que amores , son de la clase realista que te deja un sabor amargo y una tristeza incomprensible cuando terminàs de leerla. Algo asì como F.Scott Fitzgerald sin Hollywood .
Excelente. ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
4.5 stars

It took me a week to read this book - much longer than usual. At times I had to put it down, walk away from it - it felt suffocating. This is an emotionally heavy book. It is a book about love, loss, loneliness, abandonment, the desire to die Vs the will to live. It is a book about infidelity and indecision. It is not a light or comfortable read. It is a book with substance. I'll be reading more by Paullina Simons. ( )
  daystarzbooks | Jan 22, 2013 |
fla
  nickandnora | Jan 4, 2013 |
Tully Makker is a survivor. She survives her father's abandonment at the age of 7. She survives her uncle's "attentions" at the age of 12. She survives her mother's abusive hands throughout her childhood and adolescence. Her best friend's betrayal in her senior year of high school is the hardest for Tully to survive. She survives....but not without scars....scars on her wrists, scars that haunt her in her sleep, scars upon her heart. There are those who try to help Tully throughout her life. There's Robin, a good man who loves her unconditionally with all of her scars. A man who asks nothing of her, who endures her silence and betrayal, and still loves her with every ounce of his being. There's Julie, one of her best friends from childhood. Yet she too is trying to come to terms with her own life and her own mistakes and regrets. And there's Jack, the man who open's Tully's eyes and her heart, who makes her face her grief, a grief he too shares.

Undeniably, "Tully" is a story of survival and self-discovery. It's about a friendship so strong that it endures even beyond death. It is about a love so strong that it endures through months of absence and years of dreaming. What makes the character Tully so real is that she is far from perfect. She makes mistakes, big ones, mistakes that made me say "What the hell are you doing?" I disagreed with many of her choices, so much so that I wanted to shake some sense into her. But always throughout the story, I wanted Tully to take that step, to take off the armour, trust someone, let them in, let them help her unburden herself from all of the grief she carried around. I wanted her to see that her life was good....if she would only live it for herself.

Paullina Simons has fast become one of my favourite authors. She makes me adore her characters....fall in love with them...cheer for them...cry for them....mourn for them. She makes me find it within my heart to forgive them their sins...even when I wouldn't forgive myself the same sin. I cried a lot in this book, for the author has left the door open for me to examine my own life decisions, to ask the "what if" questions, to examine the skeletons in my closet. Sure, I have many regrets, and yes, my life could have been different. But like Tully.....I have survived. ( )
1 vote avernon1 | Jul 5, 2010 |
Showing 1-5 of 8 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review

» Add other authors (4 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Paullina Simonsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zegers de Beijl, KarinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
First words
Quotations
Last words
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English

None

Book description
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0006490018, Paperback)

The astonishing debut novel from international number one bestselling author Paullina Simons, beautifully repackaged Tully Makker is a tough young woman from the wrong side of the tracks and she is not always easy to like. But if Tully gives friendship and loyalty, she gives them for good, and she forms an enduring bond with Jennifer and Julie, school friends from very different backgrounds. As they grow into the world of the seventies and eighties, the lives of the three best friends are changed forever by two young men, Robin and Jack, and a tragedy which engulfs them all. Against the odds, Tully emerges into young womanhood, marriage and a career. At last Tully Makker has life under control. And then life strikes back in the most unexpected way of all...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:34 -0400)

(see all 4 descriptions)

Tully Makker is a tough young woman from the wrong side of the tracks. She forms an enduring bond with Jennifer and Julie, schoolfriends from very different backgrounds. As they grow into the world of the seventies and eighties, the lives of the three best friends are changed forever by two young men, Robin and Jack, and a tragedy which engulfs them all. Against the odds, Tully emerges into young womanhood, marriage and a career. At last Tully Makker has life under control. And then life strikes back in the most unexpected way of all.… (more)

» see all 2 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
28 avail.
8 wanted

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.67)
0.5 2
1 5
1.5 1
2 9
2.5 4
3 32
3.5 14
4 55
4.5 3
5 34

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,945,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible