Tully by Paullina Simons

Tully (1994)

by Paullina Simons

4.5 stars

It took me a week to read this book - much longer than usual. At times I had to put it down, walk away from it - it felt suffocating. This is an emotionally heavy book. It is a book about love, loss, loneliness, abandonment, the desire to die Vs the will to live. It is a book about infidelity and indecision. It is not a light or comfortable read. It is a book with substance. I'll be reading more by Paullina Simons. ( )
  daystarzbooks | Jan 22, 2013 |
fla
  nickandnora | Jan 4, 2013 |
Tully Makker is a survivor. She survives her father's abandonment at the age of 7. She survives her uncle's "attentions" at the age of 12. She survives her mother's abusive hands throughout her childhood and adolescence. Her best friend's betrayal in her senior year of high school is the hardest for Tully to survive. She survives....but not without scars....scars on her wrists, scars that haunt her in her sleep, scars upon her heart. There are those who try to help Tully throughout her life. There's Robin, a good man who loves her unconditionally with all of her scars. A man who asks nothing of her, who endures her silence and betrayal, and still loves her with every ounce of his being. There's Julie, one of her best friends from childhood. Yet she too is trying to come to terms with her own life and her own mistakes and regrets. And there's Jack, the man who open's Tully's eyes and her heart, who makes her face her grief, a grief he too shares.

Undeniably, "Tully" is a story of survival and self-discovery. It's about a friendship so strong that it endures even beyond death. It is about a love so strong that it endures through months of absence and years of dreaming. What makes the character Tully so real is that she is far from perfect. She makes mistakes, big ones, mistakes that made me say "What the hell are you doing?" I disagreed with many of her choices, so much so that I wanted to shake some sense into her. But always throughout the story, I wanted Tully to take that step, to take off the armour, trust someone, let them in, let them help her unburden herself from all of the grief she carried around. I wanted her to see that her life was good....if she would only live it for herself.

Paullina Simons has fast become one of my favourite authors. She makes me adore her characters....fall in love with them...cheer for them...cry for them....mourn for them. She makes me find it within my heart to forgive them their sins...even when I wouldn't forgive myself the same sin. I cried a lot in this book, for the author has left the door open for me to examine my own life decisions, to ask the "what if" questions, to examine the skeletons in my closet. Sure, I have many regrets, and yes, my life could have been different. But like Tully.....I have survived. ( )
1 vote avernon1 | Jul 5, 2010 |
to be read
  annenz | Jun 11, 2009 |
This is a very long book, that is strangely un-put-downable, as you try to work out what makes the main character tick. I found the ending to be unsatisfying. I had followed Tully's life for nearly 20 years and somehow expected more of a revelation at the end. ( )
  isabellacreations | Mar 17, 2009 |

Paullina Simonsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zegers de Beijl, KarinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The astonishing debut novel from international number one bestselling author Paullina Simons, beautifully repackaged Tully Makker is a tough young woman from the wrong side of the tracks and she is not always easy to like. But if Tully gives friendship and loyalty, she gives them for good, and she forms an enduring bond with Jennifer and Julie, school friends from very different backgrounds. As they grow into the world of the seventies and eighties, the lives of the three best friends are changed forever by two young men, Robin and Jack, and a tragedy which engulfs them all. Against the odds, Tully emerges into young womanhood, marriage and a career. At last Tully Makker has life under control. And then life strikes back in the most unexpected way of all...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:43 -0400)

Tully Makker is a tough young woman from the wrong side of the tracks. She forms an enduring bond with Jennifer and Julie, schoolfriends from very different backgrounds. As they grow into the world of the seventies and eighties, the lives of the three best friends are changed forever by two young men, Robin and Jack, and a tragedy which engulfs them all. Against the odds, Tully emerges into young womanhood, marriage and a career. At last Tully Makker has life under control. And then life strikes back in the most unexpected way of all.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,213,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible