Basic Economics: A Citizens Guide to the…

Basic Economics: A Citizens Guide to the Economy, Revised and Expanded (original 2001; edition 2003)

by Thomas Sowell

Thomas Sowell explains the principles of economics in plain jargon for the general public, answering questions like: Why are homeless people sleeping on the sidewalks of New York in the winter, when the abandoned apartment buildings have four times as many dwelling units as there are homeless people in the city? Why did Russians have to import food to feed people in Moscow, when Russia itself had vast amounts of some of the richest farmland in Europe?… (more)
Member:dialogic
Title:Basic Economics: A Citizens Guide to the Economy, Revised and Expanded
Authors:Thomas Sowell
Info:Basic Books (2003), Edition: Rev&Expand, Hardcover

Work Information

Basic Economics: A Common Sense Guide to the Economy by Thomas Sowell (2001)

Applied Economics by Thomas Sowell (Anonymous user)
    Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt (JacoboBaggins)
    JacoboBaggins: Compact but deeply insightful. Somewhat abstract and almost axiomatic but in a good way.
    Economism: Bad Economics and the Rise of Inequality by James Kwak (themulhern)
    themulhern: An early chapter of "Economism" is a masterly exposition of economists' ideas of supply and demand curves. The first chapter of "Basic Economics" uses supply and demand curves,without ever mentioning them. Without "Economism"'s explanation I would not have been able to construct a sensible understanding of Sowell's dairy products example. With it, it all made sense. Funny thing is that I think the authors of these two books are in vehement disagreement about economics itself; but they both happen to be excellent writeres.… (more)

united states
  MEHAKQASIM | Sep 12, 2022 |
Lesson #1 of reading: Never ask a bookworm tax guy what book you should read about investing and the economy. He will recommend long ones. Like this one.

Sowell is almost maddeningly neutral. Not really pushing any sort of agenda, just research and history.That being said, it was good, and fascinatingly so, once I started. I'm pretty sure that he doesn't leave a question unanswered-- even about stuff you don't think is related to economy (like charity and giving). I would interrupt my reading multiple times to turn to my husband and say: "Did you know...?"

And he would smile nicely, like he always does, and say "wow" or "really?" or other some such appropriate remark for the husband of a bibliophile. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
A dense book. The author made a choice to leave out the charts and graphs; I had to fill them in mentally or I could not follow his arguments. An excellent writer, pithy and smart.
  themulhern | Apr 30, 2021 |
While this book has a wealth of information about economics and helped me understand some of the reasoning behind various economic activities going on in our world, I have 2 huge problems with this book that prevent me from recommending it to other people:

1. It is very biased and takes on the capitalist agenda completely, never missing a single opportunity to comment on the futility and ineffectiveness of socialist economies and the MAGICAL powers of capitalist economies to regulate itself and be efficient. I did not appreciate this one-minded approach.

2. It is very repetitive. It explains a concept or an idea followed by an example followed by a re-explanation followed by another example then another re-explanation and so on. Every chapter in the book more ore less follows that formula. I know this is used to hammer the point, but this is just a bit too much hammering. ( )
  AmrAlSayed0 | May 27, 2020 |
"Basic Economics" is an excellent, plain language introduction to the basics and fundamentals of economics. Technical words, phrases, and theories are avoided, making this book appropriate for anyone interested in expanding their horizons despite whatever their background.

Absolute must read by those interested in better understanding how the world works around them. ( )
  clayton.j.erickson | Sep 23, 2019 |
Preface: This is an introduction to economics for the general public. The growing sophistication of professional economists has not been accompanied by any greater spread of knowledge about basic economic principles among the population at large.
Text: To know what economics is, we must first know what an economy is.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,852,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible