Poison Princess

by Kresley Cole

8866820,419 (4.01)1 / 4
In the aftermath of a cataclysmic event, sixteen-year-old Evie, from a well-to-do Louisiana family, learns that her terrible visions are actually prophecies and that there are others like herself--embodiments of Tarot cards destined to engage in an epic battle.

Poison Princess
By Kresley Cole
Arcana Chronicles #2

This is the most deliciously addictive series that I have read in a very long time. I have had this book for years but have never gotten around to reading it, probably because I read that is it for Young Adults and I thought that meant, at the very worst, Nickolodean or Disney Channel or, at the very best, high school girls worried about their popularity and vying to be top cheerleader. Boy, was I wrong. In fact, I’m going to go out on a limb and say this is really stretching the YA genre. That is not a criticism by far because I would have put the book down if it had been too teenagery. It was not at all. In fact, it was dark yet still had Kresley Cole’s signature sarcastic humor in it. I could not put the book down. I read it until I saw light coming through my curtains and only stopped reading because of exhaustion.

The cast does consist of teenagers but these kids have way more important things to worry about than who gets to be popular or not.

Evangeline or Evie has been having visions and nightmares. She also hears voices speaking to her. Her mom sent her to a psychiatric hospital during the summer because of it but Evie is now back home and ready to go back to school. None of her friends know where she was for the summer, not even her boyfriend Brandon. Nobody really questioned her because all of her friends went away for the summer as all rich kids do during the summer.

She is still having visions, nightmares and hearing voices but she thinks she can just ignore them and hold on for two more years until she finishes school and keep her mom from throwing her into the mental hospital again. She loves school and everyone there loves her so everything should go smooth for her. She is wrong.

There are new kids from the swamps starting at her school…Cajuns. One of them, Jackson Deveaux, keeps staring at her like he hates her but also wants to eat her up at the same time. She is unnerved by it because she is strangely attracted to him even though she has the perfect boyfriend.
Meanwhile, her visions and nightmares are getting worse. Weird things are happening to her and she cannot tell a soul so she draws it all in her secret journal.

There are some spoilers below.

When disaster strikes, she turns to Jackson to help her on her journey to discover what is going on with her.

I liked Jackson even though I felt like a pervert for thinking he was so hot and his Cajun accent was so sexy. I liked how he pushed Evie’s buttons because she needed to be pushed a little because she had been way too pampered in her life. The tension between them was palpable.

When I finally figured out what was happening in the book, I got really excited. I love the premise and plotline. Evie has been thrown into a post-apocalyptic world where she is pitted against 21 other teenagers or young adults. The players are all characters from the trump cards of a Tarot deck and only one will be standing at the end. They have to kill each other. Her greatest enemy is the Death Card who is gunning for her more than anyone else. She has to make alliances in order to survive.

She decides to travel from Louisiana to North Carolina to find her grandmother, if she is alive, who knows everything about this sick game but there are more than just the other players as obstacles. There is very little water or plant life left in the world and there now humans who have been transformed into bloodsucking mutants who crave water and blood but never quench their thirst. There are also militant groups taking over everything and they are abducting any female out there because not many females survived the Flash (A flash of light like a solar flare that turned anyone who was outdoors into ash). She has a long road ahead of her.

I have already started the second book and I’m loving it.

www.paranormalromanceslut.com
  dragonlion | Jul 30, 2022 |
teen fiction; action romance during the apocalypse (with Tarot). ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Wow, I really loved this. Totally couldn't put down. And the next one in the series will come out in October... Oh, well... I think I might need to check out the adult series by the same writer (although usually when I like the YA books of an author, I don't like their adult books, but we'll see). I might put this up there with the Hunger Games. ( )
  RankkaApina | Feb 22, 2021 |
DNF at 40%

I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

I really, really wanted to like this one. The tarot card element was unique and fascinating, but underdeveloped. I wish the author had focused more on the cards and how they related to specific people, since that was what initially drew me to the book. Instead, we're stuck with an obnoxious and whiny main character that shows very little growth and suffers from Me Me Me Syndrome.

Evie survives an apocalypse, yet her personality leaves a lot to be desired. I was willing to overlook her bratty behavior before, but not after. Small spoiler: Her mother was seriously injured -- likely bleeding internally -- and Evie thought protein was the answer. Her attempts to grow food nearly killed her, and she used certain talents without fully understanding them or their implications.

Jackson is supposed to be the sexy bad boy, but he's equally annoying and a pig. He toyed with Evie whenever they were together, and his motives remained unclear. Did he like her? Did he enjoy making her uncomfortable? Was he just an asshole? I didn't know, and I really didn't care. His interactions with Evie were aggressive, he's drunk most of the time, and all he cared about was getting into Evie's pants (or any girl's pants for that matter). The hate-to-love angle failed to hit its mark, and I honestly didn't care what happened to either of them.

The audio also wasn't a win for me, so I tried switching to a physical copy to see if that made the experience better -- it didn't. The creepy guy at the start of the book made my skin crawl, and I hope something terrible happened to him before the book's conclusion. Unfortunately, the rest of the book was so uninteresting and frustrating, that I felt like skimming to the end would've been a waste of time and energy.

There's also very little world-building, which was super disappointing. Again, an apocalyptic event happened, but there are very few descriptions of the world after the Flash. Honestly, there were hardly any details about the world before the Flash, so I guess I shouldn't've been so surprised.

I thought Poison Princess had a lot of potential, but it's a series I will not be continuing. The characters were terrible people, the world-building left a lot to the imagination, and I felt like the story was lacking substance.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Bloglovin' | Amazon | Pinterest ( )
  doyoudogear | Nov 30, 2019 |
Listened via audio book, really great oration by Emma Galvin. Relationship between these two is complicated and challenging. Will make you want to reread or relisten to the story. Keeps you guessing until the very end.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,908,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible