Poison Princess

by Kresley Cole

8206820,078 (4.01)2
In the aftermath of a cataclysmic event, sixteen-year-old Evie, from a well-to-do Louisiana family, learns that her terrible visions are actually prophecies and that there are others like herself--embodiments of Tarot cards destined to engage in an epic battle.

teen fiction; action romance during the apocalypse (with Tarot). ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Completely ridiculous but super enjoyable. I kept hearing Jack's dialogue in my head like he was Gambit from the old animated show and I think that it really made me like the book more. ( )
  jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |
Wow, I really loved this. Totally couldn't put down. And the next one in the series will come out in October... Oh, well... I think I might need to check out the adult series by the same writer (although usually when I like the YA books of an author, I don't like their adult books, but we'll see). I might put this up there with the Hunger Games. ( )
  RankkaApina | Feb 22, 2021 |
DNF at 40%

I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

I really, really wanted to like this one. The tarot card element was unique and fascinating, but underdeveloped. I wish the author had focused more on the cards and how they related to specific people, since that was what initially drew me to the book. Instead, we're stuck with an obnoxious and whiny main character that shows very little growth and suffers from Me Me Me Syndrome.

Evie survives an apocalypse, yet her personality leaves a lot to be desired. I was willing to overlook her bratty behavior before, but not after. Small spoiler: Her mother was seriously injured -- likely bleeding internally -- and Evie thought protein was the answer. Her attempts to grow food nearly killed her, and she used certain talents without fully understanding them or their implications.

Jackson is supposed to be the sexy bad boy, but he's equally annoying and a pig. He toyed with Evie whenever they were together, and his motives remained unclear. Did he like her? Did he enjoy making her uncomfortable? Was he just an asshole? I didn't know, and I really didn't care. His interactions with Evie were aggressive, he's drunk most of the time, and all he cared about was getting into Evie's pants (or any girl's pants for that matter). The hate-to-love angle failed to hit its mark, and I honestly didn't care what happened to either of them.

The audio also wasn't a win for me, so I tried switching to a physical copy to see if that made the experience better -- it didn't. The creepy guy at the start of the book made my skin crawl, and I hope something terrible happened to him before the book's conclusion. Unfortunately, the rest of the book was so uninteresting and frustrating, that I felt like skimming to the end would've been a waste of time and energy.

There's also very little world-building, which was super disappointing. Again, an apocalyptic event happened, but there are very few descriptions of the world after the Flash. Honestly, there were hardly any details about the world before the Flash, so I guess I shouldn't've been so surprised.

I thought Poison Princess had a lot of potential, but it's a series I will not be continuing. The characters were terrible people, the world-building left a lot to the imagination, and I felt like the story was lacking substance.

Originally posted at Do You Dog-ear? on November 30, 2019. ( )
  doyoudogear | Nov 30, 2019 |
Listened via audio book, really great oration by Emma Galvin. Relationship between these two is complicated and challenging. Will make you want to reread or relisten to the story. Keeps you guessing until the very end.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,266,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible