dismiss

At the Mountains of Madness: The Definitive…

At the Mountains of Madness: The Definitive Edition (Modern Library… (original 1936; edition 2005)

by H.P. Lovecraft (Author)

Introduction by China Miéville Long acknowledged as a master of nightmarish visions, H. P. Lovecraft established the genuineness and dignity of his own pioneering fiction in 1931 with his quintessential work of supernatural horror, At the Mountains of Madness. The deliberately told and increasingly chilling recollection of an Antarctic expedition’s uncanny discoveries–and their encounter with untold menace in the ruins of a lost civilization–is a milestone of macabre literature. This exclusive new edition, presents Lovecraft’s masterpiece in fully restored form, and includes his acclaimed scholarly essay “Supernatural Horror in Literature.” This is essential reading for every devotee of classic terror.… (more)
Member:Jonathan_M
Title:At the Mountains of Madness: The Definitive Edition (Modern Library Classics)
Authors:H.P. Lovecraft (Author)
Info:Modern Library (2005), Edition: Definitive Ed, 224 pages
Collections:Currently reading (inactive)
Rating:*****

At the Mountains of Madness: The Definitive Edition by H. P. Lovecraft (1936)

What can you say about At the Mountains of Madness that hasn't been said already? H.P. Lovecraft's finest and most representative work, the ne plus ultra of cosmic horror, one of the greatest tales of terror in the English language or any other: this short novel is all of those things and more. During the early 1930s, a geological expedition to Antarctica finds nerve-shattering proof of ancient extraterrestrial life on the frozen continent...and no, that premise doesn't even begin to do justice to the dark, dizzying spell woven here by Lovecraft. Read it and discover for yourself why it's such an enduring classic. ( )
  Jonathan_M | Mar 26, 2020 |
This marks my premier venture into the world of Lovecraft. I've been longing to read this for a while, and I was both disappointed and pleasantly surprised; the good bits are the language, which is both varied and interesting, plus the eldritch feeling that hangs o'er the entire work. The bad things, is that this is a work that feels like reading an architect magazine crossed with Edgar Allan Poe. I'm guessing Lovecraft fans may want to crucify me for that.

Still, I read an annotated version of this book; Leslie S. Klinger has done a great job with annotating both the Sherlock Holmes tales and the "Sandman" stories, the latter by Neil Gaiman, and he continues in that vein throughout this relatively short story.

A man goes to Antarctica and finds some scary stuff. There's a synopsis for you. I shan't spoil anything for you, but I think it's safe to say that the film "Alien" and "The Thing" both have been heavily inspired by this tome.

I got tired of reading a bunch of "and the spires towards the skies from the unfathomable architecture of the Old Ones from 50 million years ago are scary" stuff, almost over and over again, so that didn't scare me; however, Lovecraft's way of weaving a gloomy, haunting atmosphere at the start of this book is admirable; he almost goes deep, headlong into describing landscapes and the recurring so much that it really hits home, when he goes into the oeuvre.

All in all, not my cup of tea, and it bored the pants off me from time to time, but it was at the very least well-written with a lot of nods to different cultures. And yes, I'd pick up the annotated-by-Leslie-S.-Klinger-version if I were you. ( )
  pivic | Mar 20, 2020 |
ah, the horror in mere descriptions. First the desolation of Antartica. The cave with the bodies of unknown creates. Missing equipment. Discovery. And when things seem to level mention the Necronomicon ( )
  evil_cyclist | Mar 16, 2020 |
Interesting thought processes envisioning prehistoric explorers and residents of earth, who were based in Antarctica before the ice was there. Explorers take samples of things, no matter where they come from. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
Overall I liked this. Parts however were a slog. So many long, obtuse sentences. Some words also seem to appear every other sentence, as if the author just loves to repeat his favorite words. I suppose the book is a product of its time. I can see why it is considered a 'masterpiece'. The ideas and details of the book were interesting, especially the other worldly vibe. ( )
  aarondesk | Jan 7, 2020 |

H. P. Lovecraftprimary authorall editionscalculated
Miéville, ChinaIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
I am forced into speech because men of science have refused to follow my advice without knowing why.
This is the Modern Library edition which contains an introduction by China Miéville, "At the Mountains of Madness," and Lovecraft's essay "Supernatural Horror in Literature." Please do not combine with other collections.

Contents:

At the Mountains of Madness
Supernatural Horror in Literature

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,750,792 books! | Top bar: Always visible