Flight Behavior: A Novel by Barbara…

Flight Behavior: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Barbara Kingsolver

Tired of living on a failing farm and suffering oppressive poverty, bored housewife Dellarobia Turnbow, on the way to meet a potential lover, is detoured by a miraculous event on the Appalachian mountainside that ignites a media and religious firestorm that changes her life forever.
Member:nancy.kast
Title:Flight Behavior: A Novel
Authors:Barbara Kingsolver
Info:Harper (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 448 pages

Work Information

Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver

Anthill: A Novel by Edward O. Wilson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Damnation Spring by Ash Davidson (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Connected by style as well as themes of nature and family life.
    Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens (WendyRobyn)
    WendyRobyn: Strong presence of nature and nature sciences, small town USA, romantic interest between protagonist and sensitive, educated man
    The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver (rockyblanco)
    rockyblanco: Same author but a very different subject.

English (214)  Catalan (3)  German (1)  All languages (218)
Want to read some propaganda? This will work. I might have liked the story if she had just told the story and let me draw my own conclusions over what it might mean in the wider picture. She had an agenda that might have been spurred by the left wing political machine. I had more respect for Kingsolver, having read so many of her previous works, than to expect this.

I have also never thought I was out of sync with her regarding a main character, but I found Dellarobia unlikable, snobbish and self-important. There are too many caricatures of people here and not enough people. I didn't relate to anyone of them until we got a glimpse inside Hester at the end. That was, indeed, too late to care.

Why finish? Because Kingsolver has a literary style and a use of prose that is wonderful. She is a writer worth reading most of the time. I wish I could say that about this endeavor. ( )
  mattorsara | Aug 11, 2022 |
I really liked the main character, Dellarobia. She is seriously flawed and human, which is an instant draw for me. Barabara always has very believeable characters who are complex and full. Dellarobia is a small-town mountain girl who was once wild and yet was sucked into a life that was not her choosing but consequences of actions that seemed right at the time. The book and story itself seemed unneccessarily long, but I learned a lot about the plight of butterflies! A little soap boxish, but I was okay with that, just thought it could have been wrapped up a little more quickly. Enjoyable read. ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
At 600 pages long, this book could have been reduced by at least a third. However, it was an interesting 3 and a half star read for me. Set in an isolated town in Tennessee, the story follows a bright woman, Dellarobia (yes) who feels trapped in a soulless marriage and unfulfilling life. An amazing discovery near her home ignites her interest in climate change and encourages her to question her life choices. ( )
  Mercef | Mar 23, 2022 |
Not sure how I want to review this book. Unsure if I should take the book at face value or if the author is condescending towards those in Appalachia. The protagonist, Dellarobia, is not likeable, although I can sympathize with some of her frustrations. I'm not sure that the author did a good job of connecting climate change with the overall story, although she did a good job of connecting the monarch butterfly to Appalachia. I may go back and "review" this review later when I've had time to ponder the author's purpose. 438 pages ( )
  Tess_W | Mar 14, 2022 |
Climate change, for every good and topical reason, headlines Barbara Kingsolver’s marvelous eighth novel. But not to be undersold are its characters, rendered so believably and affectionately, they warm the atmosphere on their own.

...... Kingsolver's masterly evocation of an age – ours, here, now – stumbling wilfully blind towards the abyss is an elegy not just for the endangered monarch butterfly, but for the ambitious, flawed species that conjured the mass extinction of which its loss is a part. Urgent issues demand important art. Flight Behaviour rises – with conscience and majesty – to the occasion of its time.
added by marq | editThe Guardian, Liz Jensen (Nov 2, 2012)

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Virginia Henry Kingsolver and Wendell Roy Kingsolver
A certain feeling comes from throwing your good life away, and it is one part rapture.
Realistically, it probably wasn't slave children, but there had to be armies of factory workers making this slapdash stuff, underpaid people cranking out things for underpaid people to buy and use up, living their lives mostly to cancel each other out. A worldwide entrapment of bottom feeders.
If people played their channels right, they could be spared from disagreement for the length of their natural lives. Finally she got it. The need for so many channels.
There are always more questions. Science as a process is never complete. It is not a foot race, with a finish line. He warned her about this as a standard point of contention. People will always be waiting at a particular finish line: journalists with their cameras, impatient crowds eager to call the race, astounded to see the scientists approach, pass the mark, and keep running. It's a common misunderstanding, he said. They conclude there was no race. As long as we won't commit to knowing everything, the presumption is we know nothing.
I never learn anything from listening to myself . . . .
Mistakes wreck your life. But they make what you have. It's kind of all one. You know what Hester told me when we were working the sheep one time? She said it's no good to complain about your flock, because it's the put-together of all your past choices.

Climate change is bad / But what to do? Kingsolver / has all the answers.
(rosalita)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,244,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible