All That Is by James Salter

All That Is (2013)

by James Salter

English (31)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (39)
4/11/18 - still think about this book often. Still appalled at protagonist's treatment of his ex-girlfriend's daughter.
  FKarr | Apr 11, 2018 |
The only other salter I've read is "light years," which I enjoyed a lot. This i spent all of Sunday afternoon finishing and didn't NOT enjoy, it just wasn't a favorite. It was like reading an account of anybody's semi-depressing and semi-boring life, with moments that felt beautiful, and moments that didn't. I do love his way with language and will seek more out to read in the future, I'm sure. ( )
  Abbey_Harlow | Oct 5, 2017 |
This is one of those books where plot is minimal and it is supposed to be all about the characters in a more subtle way. I usually really like these types of books, but this one just didn't interest me a whole lot. All of the females are shallow and the main characters aren't that fabulous. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
...this novel casts the last four decades in a completely new light, not coda but overture. The brilliantly compressed stories in which life is lit by lightning flash, the humane memoir that generously exalts, more than anything, the lineaments of ordinary existence — it’s all here, subsumed and assimilated in the service of a work that manages to be both recognizable (no one but Salter could have written it) and yet strikingly original, vigorous proof that this literary lion is still very much on the prowl.

James Salterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barrett, JoeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heuvelmans, TonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kay
All night in darkness the water sped past.
There comes a time when you realize everything is a dream, and only those things preserved in writing have any possibility of being real.

"From his experiences as a young naval officer in battles off Okinawa, Philip Bowman returns to America and finds a position as a book editor. It is a time when publishing is still largely a private affair--a scattered family of small houses here and in Europe--a time of gatherings in fabled apartments and conversations that continue long into the night. In this world of dinners, deals, and literary careers, Bowman finds that he fits in perfectly. But despite his success, what eludes him is love"--Dust jacket flap.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,029,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible