Sapphire Ice (Christian Romance) (The Jewel…

Sapphire Ice (Christian Romance) (The Jewel Trilogy) (edition 2012)

by Hallee Bridgeman

Series: The Jewel Series (1)

To ROBIN BARTLETT, men were nothing more than violent users. After a hair-raising childhood, Robin and her two younger half sisters battled simply to survive. Determined to give her sisters a very different life from that of their mother; to never have to rely on a man for anything, she worked two jobs and put them both through college, while accepting help from no one. Her heart had turned to ice and she had no use for men or God.ANTONIO "TONY" VISCOLLI had grown up on the streets, homeless. At seventeen, he entered a downtown church with the intent of casing it, but found himself on his knees at the altar. Lovingly fostered by the youth minister, Tony learned about God. Striking out on his own, he let God lead him to eventually become a very successful businessman. In a fallen world, Tony was a gem.When he bought the restaurant where Robin bartended, she immediately resented his intrusion into her well ordered, but exhausting, life. She suspected his special attention and constant kindness came with expectations of something from her in return, something she wasn't willing to give.Tony knew God had led him to Robin. Would she ever allow herself to trust him? Could she ever allow herself to trust God? Or would the winter of their tragic youths rise from the shadows of the past and freeze any chance at happiness?"… (more)
Member:Sugarpeach
Title:Sapphire Ice (Christian Romance) (The Jewel Trilogy)
Authors:Hallee Bridgeman
Info:Olivia Kimbrell Press (2012), Edition: Third, Kindle Edition, 244 pages

Work Information

Sapphire Ice by Hallee Bridgeman

A Cinderella story only better. Better because a fairy godmother’s wand is not what transforms Robin, but the power of God working through her newfound faith and that of the man who loves her. Hallee Bridgeman writes for the glory of our God, unabashed and unashamed, yet her stories are not preachy or sermon-ish. Her tale of Robin Bartlett’s journey from poverty, abuse and hatred into the light of being loved and cherished by a wealthy yet godly man sparkles with intrigue, drama and most of all, romance. Romance to make you sigh at Robin’s fairy tale-come-true by the grace of God.
Tony is a rare find. A self made man who pulled himself out of the grips of poverty and despair into a life of wealth. And yet he pours back his God-given gifts into the lives of others where need is great and hope non-existent. Tony is unlike most romantic heroes, unique and unexpected. He is not perfect and makes mistakes as we all do, and yet he allows his mistakes to be used by God in unimaginable ways.
Robin’s life has been hard. Suffering and hardship is all she knows. And yet she embraces it willingly for love of her two sisters. Robin is stubborn and closed hearted, her inner strength an armor keeping everyone at arm’s length. And yet Tony finds the broken place in her heart that will serve as her escape route, opening herself to a love she could have never dreamed possible.
The secondary characters give us a deeper and richer view of this poverty to riches story romance. I am anxious to read Maxi and Sarah’s stories next. I have hopes for Jacqui and Derrick and the others they will encounter along the way. Barry is my favorite with Hank a close second. I am itching to read the rest of the Jewel Trilogy to find out more about them all.
I have not read any of Hallee Bridgeman’s work prior to these stories but am now a fan. What I love most about these stories is Hallee does not pay heed to the “writer’s rules” that can often stifle one’s own voice in an effort to conform to industry standards. Her inner soul is revealed in her writing leaving rules broken and battered amidst the very real life, love and faith poured into her books. Yes, it is possible to write compelling and inspiring romance that will enchant readers without regard to the “acceptable methods.” Thank you, Hallee.
I received this book from bookfun.org in exchange for my honest opinion.
  ksucindy | Nov 16, 2015 |
Sapphire Ice is the first in a series by Halle Bridgeman which follows the lives of three half-sisters who rise from a traumatic childhood of poverty and abuse to be strong, independent women of faith. This book is the story of the eldest, Robin. She was her sisters’ protector when they were children and continues this on into adult life, sometimes going overboard with her stubbornness and self reliance. It takes a handsome businessman named Tony Viscolli to soften her icy exterior and make her realize that love – both God’s and his – can give her the peace she has always craved. ( )
  Tracykrauss | Jul 25, 2013 |
Title: Sapphire Ice (The Jewel Series Book #1)
Author: Hallee Bridgeman
Pages: 212
Year: 2013
Publisher: Olivia Kimbrell Press
Note: I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book from www.bookfun.org
There are many novels I have read already this year, with the majority being most enjoyable. Here is an exceptional novel, in fact when communicating with the author I expressed the totality of my review in one word, WOW! Fully aware that the word doesn’t help anyone to grasp the contents or various aspects of the novel here is a little teaser to whet your appetite.
Three women who live together, and are half-sisters with a background that is very distinct. Not only is each one’s background dissimilar so is their heritage, and ancestry. The actions taken on one night alter the future for all three in the years growing up. Robin is the eldest and has an overwhelming sense of being responsible for Maxine and Sarah. Robin works hard to put her sisters through college, now when they are grown with Sarah having just a couple years left, Robin feels she can rest then.
However, two men are going to come in her life each for a different reason. One wants to show her how Christ makes all the difference in the world. The other man, well let’s just say you got to read the book to believe it. Robins who life is about to be turned upside down and her sisters couldn’t be happier but what does Robin feel about all this, can she trust anybody ever again?
Sapphire Ice is the first book in the Jewel Trilogy Bundle #1 which includes a novella Greater Then Rubies, which I will share in another review. I just was so overwhelmed with the way author Hallee Bridgeman has her characters in situations that are very life like. The emotional tension I felt as the characters interacted was something I will not forget, whether the players were praying or arguing. All I kept thinking was how much a story such as this reflects what real human beings feel.
Another aspect is how some of the characters were in accountability relationships in their walk with Christ. Truth spoken from one to another, praying with and for others, and being a conduit of the love God has for each of us regardless of where or who we are today. As Iron sharpens iron was a phrase I kept thinking when sparks would fly in the plot. Repentance, taking time out to be alone with the Lord is just a part of the strong message in the plot. Well, that gets you started, go have fun discovering what else lies between the covers of the book!
My rating is 5+ stars!
Note: The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ . Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457 ( )
  lamb521 | Jul 22, 2013 |
There are very few major conflicts in Sapphire Ice. Most of the conflicts were intrapersonal. This book was a nice break from all the action-packed books I’ve been reading lately. It isn’t a cozy romance, but there isn’t much suspense or tension in the story. I didn’t mind that at all, especially when the storyline was enough to keep me intrigue.

Initially, I didn’t like Robin, but she grew on me after awhile. She has a very strong independent personality and has so many walls built around her heart. She is self-reliant and works hard to provide for her sisters. As a matter of fact, she has been taking care of her sisters ever since she was three or four years old. Being forced into a role of responsibility – mother and father to her sisters – she definitely isn’t your typical 26-year old waitress or barmaid.

As for Tony, it is hard not to like him. He has a very charismatic, likeable, and godly personality. He plots his way to success and despite all his massive wealth, he puts God first in his life. He has his moment of weakness, as we see towards the end of the story, but he bounces back stronger than ever. He also comes from tough circumstances, but the trials he went through made him a stronger person.

It was interesting reading the step-by-step process of Robin’s walls being taken down by Tony. Despite the short time frame within the story, it wasn’t rushed and the process of Robin and Tony’s journey was at a “real” pace. The plot “twist” (if it could be called that) towards the end was definitely intriguing. It was unexpected. After all, the story has been going on with barely any hitches, and then the characters are suddenly thrown into a dilemma and test.

Conclusion: Although there are barely any complications Sapphire Ice, I had a fun time reading it. The clean romance was excellent and the struggles faced by the characters were touching.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the author through The Book Club Network review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising." ( )
  Sugarpeach | Jun 19, 2013 |
The men in Robin's life have never been anything but pushers and users. Tony's intrusion into her exhausted world both infuriates and intrigues her. Does Tony have a chance to break through the wall of ice Robin built around her heart?
For my Darling Gregg ... there aren't words to adequately express my love and appreciation for you. I am so happy God brought us together, and I look forward to forever and ever.
For My Darling Gregg…There aren't words to adequately express my love and appreciation for you. I am so happy God brought us together, and I look forward to forever and ever.
The wait for a table at Hank's Place spilled out beyond the patio and into the parking lot.
There were three of them. Sisters. Half sisters, technically, born to the same mother but different fathers. They lived in bad circumstances, the kind of childhood existence that makes for melodramatic and heart-wrenching movie of the week scripts. There were nights when it was bad, and then there were those nights when it was really bad. The really bad nights they all had to hide.
As he gently returned her to earth, his lips found hers and they kissed, standing in the sand with the water swirling at their ankles.
Tony carefully bit down on the inside of his lip to keep himself from laughing at her next words. "I don't play those games, Mr. Viscolli. Remove your hand, or else I'll remove it."

Hallee Bridgeman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,232,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible