My Book of Life by Angel by Martine Leavitt

My Book of Life by Angel (edition 2012)

by Martine Leavitt

"16-year-old Angel struggles to free herself from the trap of prostitution in which she is caught."--
Member:miracosta
Title:My Book of Life by Angel
Authors:Martine Leavitt
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 256 pages

My Book of Life by Angel by Martine Leavitt

Told in the first person by Angel, a sixteen-year-old drug addict working the streets in the infamous Hastings Street district of Vancouver BC, this book is heart-breaking.

We see how small things led her to where she is and how badly she wants out. You'll be rooting for her.

This is one of those books that I just: read it. ( )
  ParadisePorch | Aug 6, 2019 |
CATEGORY: Martine Leavitt

Angel is a 16 year-old prostitute. She met Call at a mall where he bought her food and "candy" and told her that he loved her. His candy is addicting and pretty soon Call starts selling her to his "friends." The police turn a blind eye to Angel and her fellow prostitutes in Vancouver. Angel is living the life given to her until Call comes home with a younger girl. It is then that Angel starts trying to make an escape.

This book was really interesting, especially since I know that Martine Leavitt is a member of my church. I grieved with the characters and wanted to reach out and help Melli and Angel. I found the use of Paradise Lost really interesting and pointed, incorporating the use of a classic work in such a modern piece. The verse made the work flow so nicely that I could not imagine reading it in any other way. ( )
  haileyblatter | Nov 17, 2018 |
This was just so beautiful and sad. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
  dbruscini | Apr 8, 2016 |
In this novel-in-verse, mature high school readers will learn the sad story of Angel, a teenage runaway. Angel meets Call in a mall, who gets her hooked on drugs. She runs away to be with him, and soon is forced into prostitution.

Read the rest of my review at: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2012/08/17/my-book-of-life-by-angel-mart... ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
My book of life by angel was one of those books that I challenged myself to read. Angel is a character to open this world us. She is not free of blame, it is clear that she myriad of bad decisions that led her to her current state, but as she becomes more and more determined to break free of the life she has let herself be bound to it becomes so easy to root for her. Angel chillingly aware of number of women of her profession that have gone missing and the belief that a murderous man is behind these disappearances. They insisted these disappearances were not the work of a serial killer, and did nothing to stop or solve cases they deemed unimportant because the women involved were sex workers.
added by Veronica.Ubario | editThe Los Angeles Times, Veronica Ubario (Sep 16, 2012)

Martine Leavittprimary authorall editionscalculated
Balbusso, AnnaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Balbusso, ElenaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the families of the Eastside angels
When Serena went missing I looked in all the places she might go and she wasn't anywhere, just like a lot of the girls weren't anywhere.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,130,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible