The pigman by Paul Zindel

The pigman (edition 2005)

by Paul Zindel

Series: Pigman (1)

Member:KazCharSheni
Title:The pigman
Authors:Paul Zindel
Info:New York : HarperTrophy, 2005.
Collections:Required Textbooks, Children's Classics

The Pigman by Paul Zindel

Wow! is, pretty much, all I can say.

I originally read this in 8th grade and I remember loving it but as I was reading it as an adult I could not remember why I loved it so. I ended up not remembering any of it (which makes me wonder if it was a different book I loved in 8th grade?) ... but I really enjoyed it as an adult and then the ending :-Or

Well, just "Wow!!"

Adrianne ( )
  Adrianne_p | Feb 9, 2017 |
This was an OK book. The kids seemed very unrealistic to me. They seemed like losers drinking and smoking in deserted cemeteries. Never doing anything positive Then there friendship with the Pigman also seemed very unrealistic. The plot on the other hand was interesting. I did want to know what disaster would strike. ( )
  KamGeb | Nov 25, 2016 |
I loved this book! I read it when I was in 8th grade and fell in love with the story! It tells a story of two sets of strangers who come together and create not only a friendship, but a sense of family. They all help each other out by filling in the missing parts of their own family. ( )
  laurenkt | Oct 20, 2016 |
I had to read this in high school for 10th grade English. Enjoyable. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
High schoolers John and Lorraine do not come from happy homes. John's father constantly compares John unfavorably to his older brother and has been known to use physical force on John when angered. John's mother is a neat-freak who cleans constantly and worries that John will spill something or dirty her plastic covered furniture. Lorraine's father died years ago and her mother does not mourn him one bit. Apparently he was known to have girlfriends and now her mother reminds Lorraine that boys/men only want one thing. John and Lorraine decide to make prank phone calls and when they get Mr. Pignati on the line they tell him they are charity workers. He agrees to donate to their cause and the teens go his home to pick up the money. Mr. Pignati turns out to be a fat, lonely widower who is overjoyed to have visitors and John and Lorraine are more than happy to take advantage of the "Pigman's" vulnerability.

The story is told in alternating chapters by John and Lorraine in what is supposed to be a memorial tribute to the "Pigman" who we learn at the outset has died. After their initial meeting the 3 become fairly good friends but the high schoolers never stop taking advantage of the older man's kindnesses. Once he has died they do seem to feel badly about their behavior but it doesn't sound convincing.

What a couple of rotten kids these 2 are; I loathed the both of them. Although this book was written in the late 60's and it does show it's age in some places I would hope that this kind of behavior is not the norm. Mr. Pignati's character is sweet, naive and he craves attention so badly that he shares some of the fault in allowing these 2 predators to take advantage of him. It is defintely not a happy story.
2 vote Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
For the Boy and Girl of Stapleton
Being of sound mind and body on this 15th day of April in our sophomore year at Franklin High School, let it be known that Lorraine Jensen and John Conlon have decided to record the facts, and only the facts about our experiences with Mr. Angelo Pignati.
We had trespassed too-been where we didn't belong, and we were being punished for it. Mr. Pignati had paid with his life. But when he died, something in us had died as well.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060757353, Paperback)

For sophomores John and Lorraine, the world feels meaningless; nothing is important. They certainly can never please their parents, and school is a chore. To pass the time, they play pranks on unsuspecting people. It's during one of these pranks that they meet the "Pigman"--a fat, balding old man with a zany smile plastered on his face. In spite of themselves, John and Lorraine soon find that they're caught up in Mr. Pignati's zest for life. In fact, they become so involved that they begin to destroy the only corner of the world that's ever mattered to them. Originally published in 1968, this novel by Pulitzer Prize-winning author Paul Zindel still sings with sharp emotion as John and Lorraine come to realize that "Our life would be what we made of it--nothing more, nothing less."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:18 -0400)

Two high school sophomores from unhappy homes form a close friendship with a lonely old man with a terrible secret.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,848,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible