The Savage Fortress

by Sarwat Chadda

Series: Ash Mistry Chronicles (1)

When British schoolboy Ash Mistry goes to India for a vacation, he quickly falls into a world of rakshasas, or demons, overseen by the evil Lord Alexander Savage.

This is an Indian version of Percy Jackson and the Greek Gods, and Rick Riordan's GR review of the book is excellent. 13-year old Ash Mistry discovers he has extraordinary power and finds himself trying to defeat the reanimation of the demon king Ravana, battling a wealthy British businessman and his demon helpers. I liked Ash best when he was being trained by the beggars, and when he was lusting after the serpent woman because it made him feel like a normal person. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Ash and his sister Lucky are spending their summer visiting their aunt and uncle in India. When tragedy strikes their family, Ash finds out that he is the reincarnation of the mythic hero Rama. ( )
  soraki | Mar 8, 2021 |
Fast paced action and good writing. A bit gory near the end, but not awful. My one complaint is the hyper irritating transformation of the main character from chubby to skinny, and the way that's portrayed as him losing his weakness and growing into a fierce hero. Cause fat kids can't be heroes or anything. He even says something like "I guess I just had to diet and exercise" to lose weight. Ugh. I just... chubby or fat kids don't need to hear that more than they already do. I don't know why he couldn't just get stronger, and not have to discuss how "easy" it is to lose weight when "you put your mind to it." For some kids, no, it's not easy. And they shouldn't have to feel ashamed of that, but this message that weight is really simple to control pops up all the time. It's a small part of the overall book, which is partly why it bugged me so much. It would have been VERY easy to leave out completely, and the story wouldn't have been altered.

Anyway. I think kids will enjoy it, I was just annoyed. ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
Eh. Not nearly as good as his Billi Sangreal book. ( )
  2wonderY | Jul 7, 2015 |
This book was so much fun! Take a pretty normal summer vacation in India, throw in a some demons, some monsters, just a few gods, and a sizable dash of Indiana Jones and you'll have a pretty good idea of what you are in for when you read this book.

While it is predominantly marketed to boys, it will definitely appeal to many girls as well. Ash is a great (if reluctant) hero: well developed, likable and very much a teenage boy. I liked the supporting cast as well and hope they continue to be developed as the series goes on. Don't worry about brushing up on your Indian gods before reading this (though it's a fascinating topic) the necessary mythological background is given in flashbacks, so even if you aren't too familiar with Indian myths when you start you won't miss out.

Adventure stories based on god and myths are nothing new--one of the biggest markets for this book in the shop where I worked was fans of Percy Jackson who had read all Riordan's books--but Indian mythology is rich, exciting and (until now) largely unexplored in children's adventure stories. The book is well writing and engaging; a fast, fun read that will delight fans of Percy Jackson and Skulduggery Pleasant. ( )
  etborg | Mar 21, 2015 |

Sarwat Chaddaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chan, JasonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

"That is so not a cobra," said Ash. It couldn't be. Weren't cobras endangered? You couldn't have them as pets, not even here in India.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,291,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible