Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and…

Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes (Hospitality) (edition 2004)

by Jeffrey Hamelman (Author)

When Bread was first published in 2004, it received the Julia Child Award for best First Book from the International Association of Culinary Professionals and became an instant classic.  Hailed as a "masterwork of bread baking literature," Jeffrey Hamelman's Bread features over 130 detailed, step-by-step formulas for dozens of versatile rye- and wheat-based sourdough breads, numerous breads made with yeasted pre-ferments, simple straight dough loaves, and dozens of variations. In addition, an International Contributors section is included, which highlights unique specialties by esteemed bakers from five continents. In this third edition of Bread, professional bakers, home bakers, and baking students will discover a diverse collection of flavors, tastes, and textures, hundreds of drawings that vividly illustrate techniques, and evocative photographs of finished and decorative breads.… (more)
Member:Sapphisticated
Title:Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes (Hospitality)
Authors:Jeffrey Hamelman (Author)
Info:John Wiley & Sons (2004), Edition: 1, 432 pages

Work Information

Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes by Jeffrey Hamelman

The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread by Peter Reinhart (Tuirgin)
    Tuirgin: I purchased Hamelman's Bread after I'd worked with BBA for a while. Hamelman's book does less hand-holding, but is more thorough in describing shaping techniques as well as the practical technical information on additives, sourdough, ingredient temperatures, etc. I don't think I would have wanted to start with Hamelman's book, and I wouldn't have wanted to finish with Reinhart's book. Between the two of them I have enough recipes and information to keep me baking for a long time to come.… (more)

Fabulous book. Hamelman treats you seriously, assumes you have a brain and can work out that things can be varied. His recipes include a conversation with you about the variations. He also informs you in general about what you can expect when you vary things.

The nicest treatment of grain breads I've come across so far. My only mild quibble is that I wish the amounts for the home baker were given in metric as well as imperial. ( )
  devilish2 | Dec 26, 2011 |
Buy this book if you are serious about making top quality bread. The techniques are here. The diagrams are good. Performing it all takes practice and more practice. I have taken Jeffrey Hamelman's Fundamentals of Bread class at King Arthur in Norwich, Vermont. This book memorializes his teachings, which is vital for your quest for excellence in breadmaking. My baguettes are better each time I make them. They are better than any baguette available locally. I make 4 a week, and since I can't eat 4 a week, my neighbors love me. You, too can join this quest for perfection in bread; just buy Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes, lots of King Arthur flour, and go for it. ( )
1 vote brendajanefrank | Oct 13, 2011 |
This has become my primary reference for baking bread. I started with Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice and a few months later purchased Hamelman's Bread. While BBA goes into a fairly lengthy narrative describing Reinhart's flavor building techniques, Hamelman's Bread goes into greater detail on the actual handling and shaping of the dough, as well as providing detailed information on additives, ingredient temperatures, and other practical details.

There is one caveat to my recommendation of this book: earlier versions of it were very poorly edited and in some of the recipes the ingredient amounts are badly off, especially for the home baker. Make sure you seek out the errata sheet for the book. With this in hand, Hamelman's Bread is a complete success. I haven't had any disappointing bakes using this book. ( )
  Tuirgin | Dec 16, 2010 |
An indispensable book for the serious baker. It has excellent technical information about bread making, and wonderful recipes. It is geared more towards the professional baker, but recipes are provided with home versions as well. The chapter on rye breads is excellent; one of the very few places in English with information on German ryes. ( )
1 vote oriboaz | May 5, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,058,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible