The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook: Recipes and Wisdom from an Obsessive Home Cook

by Deb Perelman

"The long-awaited cookbook from the food blogging phenom, Deb Perelman -- home cook, mom, photographer, and celebrated author of SmittenKitchen.com." --

Beautiful cookbook with delicious recipes. This is the rare cookbook where I find myself wanting to cook everything in it, right away. Borrowed it from the library, but this is one I'll need to own. ( )
  eringill | Dec 25, 2022 |
As a food blogger myself, I had to buy this cookbook since it was written by one, also. I found it to be accessible with a nice, delicious-looking collection of recipes. Her recipe for Broccoli Salad is almost identical to the one I use, and I know it's great. ( )
  womanwoanswers | Dec 23, 2022 |
I want to make almost every single recipe in this cookbook. ( )
  Tosta | Jul 5, 2021 |
I'm afraid I'm very overdue at the library with this book; I just didn't want to give it back. I've been waiting a looooooooooooooong time for this book to come out (what, Jane, the blog isn't enough for you??), and it's everything I hoped it would be. I only knocked off one star because I'm a bitter vegetarian for whom an entire chapter is off-limits, although that's hardly Deb's fault.

Things I made:
-Butternut squash and caramelized onion galette: OM NOM NOM. Also, my butter allowance for life was in that dough.
-Sweet peas and shells alfredo: don't halve the sauce as I did, for some reason. 2 cups of cream for one pound pasta is not crazy talk.
-Slow-cooker black bean ragout: To be fair, I haven't made all of the embellishments, just the beans, but they're just okay. Nothing I couldn't have made on the stovetop in a couple of hours. I'm guessing the pickled onions and cilantro will add to this.
-Wild rice gratin w/ kale, caramelized onions, and baby swiss: Just okay. I think I added too much rice, as it was really ricey (I mean, I know, but the ratio seemed too high even for being a rice dish).
-Grapefruit olive oil pound cake. OM NOM NOM. I do love me a loaf cake with glaze poured over. And fruity! ( )
  beautifulshell | Aug 27, 2020 |
The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook is stuffed with gorgeous, delicious recipes, and everything I've made so far has been filed under Repeat Eats, especially the Black Bean Ragout and Mushroom Bourguignon. I had high expectations for the SK book, since I've been following the blog for years, and my hopes have been exceeded. ( )
  revafisheye | Jan 10, 2020 |
For Jacob Henry, the best thing I ever baked
Welcome. Welcome to my tiny kitchen.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,811,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible