Mrs. Queen Takes the Train

by William Kuhn

An absolute delight of a debut novel by William Kuhn-author of Reading Jackie: Her Autobiography in Books-Mrs Queen Takes the Train wittily imagines the kerfuffle that transpires when a bored Queen Elizabeth strolls out of the palace in search of a little fun, leaving behind a desperate team of courtiers who must find the missing Windsor before a national scandal erupts. Reminiscent of Alan Bennett's The Uncommon Reader, this lively, wonderfully inventive romp takes readers into the mind of the grand matriarch of Britain's Royal Family, bringing us an endearing runaway Queen Elizabeth on the town-and leading us behind the Buckingham Palace walls and into the upstairs/downstairs spaces of England's monarchy.… (more)

English (54)  Catalan (1)  All languages (55)
Reading an advance copy & enjoying it, but left it at the summer place so will have to finish later...
Had to start all over, but really enjoyed it the second time; it was a fun read & very cute. I was very impressed with how well the young male American author did older female English characters! ( )
  Abcdarian | May 18, 2024 |
Great idea but never really reaches it's full potential. ( )
  secondhandrose | Oct 31, 2023 |
This was cute. Like other recent books that attempt to humanize the Queen (The Uncommon Reader), the author takes on an aloof story telling air (or maybe that's just a British literary thing?). It was a nice diversion, and an interesting thought experiment about what goes on inside the Queen's head. ( )
  wisemetis | Dec 27, 2022 |
Fun read. The first half was sometimes unnecessarily confusing as the author jumped forward and backward in time. I don't normally mind a nonlinear story, but Kuhn doesn't give any cues. The reader simply has to figure it out. But the story overall is quite a lot of fun and worth the mild irritation. ( )
  IVLeafClover | Jun 21, 2022 |
I really enjoyed this book, probably beause it reminds me of An Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | May 1, 2022 |
Kuhn has pulled off an entertaining ride inside the head of the Queen, enabling us to see her as she really is.

William Kuhnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Fritz Kuhn
Several years ago, on a dark afternoon in December, Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, and Her Other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth of Nations, Defender of the Faith, Duchess of Edinburgh, Countess of Merioneth, Baroness Greenwich, Duke of Lancaster, Lord of Mann, Duke of Normandy sat at her desk, frowning at a computer screen.

William Kuhn is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,007,857 books! | Top bar: Always visible