The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom

The Time Keeper (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Mitch Albom (Author)

Member:andymetcalfe
Title:The Time Keeper
Authors:Mitch Albom (Author)
Info:Hachette Books (2013), Edition: Reprint, 240 pages
Collections:Leant Out, Finished, Read but unowned
Rating:**

The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom (2012)

English (91)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (93)
Counting, numbers, measuring, marking time. These curiosities fill Dor’s mind; ultimately, he invents the world’s first clock. But his fascination with keeping time earns him a solitary life trapped in a cave and listening to the voices of all humanity crying out for more time. Dor becomes Father Time.

Eventually he returns to a time-obsessed world where he will cross paths with an old man who wants to live forever and a teenager about to give up on life. He will try to teach them the true meaning of time.

Told in short chapters and with just enough character development for readers to know what they need to know about Sarah, Victor, and Dor, this cautionary fable follows the three characters and pulls readers into their individual stories as it gently offers its incomparable lesson: each day allotted to us is precious.

Highly recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Oct 23, 2018 |
Is time the story or lack of it? Or if we consume ourselves with one issue we pay an overall penality of not seeing whats important. Interesting reading. ( )
  BryceV | Jul 29, 2018 |
A fantastic fable, so well narrated/read by Dan Stevens (of Downton Abbey fame) it's what kept me listening. ( )
  PaperDollLady | Apr 26, 2018 |
This was a quick and very inspirational read. Do you ever feel like you want more time to do the things that you "think" are important? Be careful what you wish for and read this little book.

It is a wonderful lesson, as only Mitch Albom can teach. Our time here on earth is numbered, but it is not for us to try to figure out how much is ours. Slow down and enjoy each day as it is given to you.

Many thanks to Net Galley and Hyperion for this Advanced Readers Copy. ( )
  PamV | Mar 27, 2018 |
This was a quick and okay read. The concept behind this was interesting. I enjoyed the story of how Father Time was created. The majority of the book follows two people: an old wealthy man with cancer who is trying to figure out how to be immortal and a young girl with a crush that's not returned who wants to die. Father Time is sent to the present time to help both them and himself.

This is a very straight-forward and easy read. There are a lot underlying messages about how society is structured around time and how much that has changed things. Additionally, there is a lot of discussion about how people view that time and what they do with it.

I personally thought the story was heavy handed, especially towards the end. When you find out why this old man and young girl are so important it was just too much. I actually rolled my eyes; I mean come on...you can't get much more predictable than that.

Overall this was an okay read. It's an easy and quick read but I didn't find the ideas explored here to be all that new or exciting. I did like the history of Father Time. The story ended up being a bit too heavy handed and predictable for me. In the end, for me, it was a fairly forgettable read. ( )
  krau0098 | Mar 7, 2018 |
Mitch Albom is an author of internationally bestselling books, including Tuesdays with Morrie, which topped the New York Times bestseller list in 2010. So he knew what he was doing when he sat down to write another novel about spirituality in a modern setting. In The Time Keeper, he sticks to his tried and tested literary recipe, which follows an elderly man on an existential journey to a grand realisation. This novel earns its place on the bookshelf for its compelling and original storyline; the man who first tried to measure time is punished by living an eternity. However, Albom fails to probe the full depths of this idea and is unable to write with enough style to carry it through into more than a clichéd censure on modern times.
added by cairo360 | editCairo 360, Emily Wright (Mar 13, 2013)

Albom, Mitchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevens, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book, about time, is dedicated to Janine,
who makes every minute of life worthwhile.
A man sits alone in a cave

The inventor of the world's first clock is punished for trying to measure God's greatest gift. He is banished to a cave for centuries and forced to listen to the voices of all who come after him seeking more days, more years. Eventually, he is granted his freedom, but returning to our world is not the way he rememberd it.
The sands of time drift/
Measuring moments alone/
But love must trump time

After being punished for trying to measure God's greatest gift, Father Time returns to Earth along with a magical hourglass and a mission: a chance to redeem himself by teaching two earthly people the true meaning of time.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,718,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible