Son (Giver Quartet) (Giver Quartet, 4) by…

Son (Giver Quartet) (Giver Quartet, 4) (edition 2012)

by Lois Lowry (Author)

Series: The Giver (4)

Unlike the other Birthmothers in her utopian community, teenaged Claire forms an attachment to her baby, feeling a great loss when he is taken to the Nurturing Center to be adopted by a family unit.
Member:myfanaticheart
Title:Son (Giver Quartet) (Giver Quartet, 4)
Authors:Lois Lowry (Author)
Info:HMH Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, 400 pages
Rating:*****

Work Information

Son by Lois Lowry

English (148)  Italian (1)  All languages (149)
Oh, I am so relieved....I had to put this one down at the last chapters and make a cup of tea, my apprehension was so high. I am happy that the author left room for a happy ending...there have been enough unsettling pieces to this quartet and after the ending of Messenger I was sure this one would not wrap up without more heart-rending. Great series, should be read by all at least once! ( )
  Martialia | Sep 28, 2022 |
i read the rest of these books wishing that they were longer, more complicated, more complete in terms of plot and detail. now, here, we get the final chapter and it's too long. again, endings pop up out of nowhere and that's it, curtain falls. here, again, a stretch. i still have no idea what the author is trying to say with this series. evil exists? people are good, but special people are better? things are not what they seem, but at least they're always not what they seem in the same exact way every time?

i don't know. i'm still pissed about the last book. i only read them all because i was curious, and because they were short. this one was too long. ( )
  J.Flux | Aug 13, 2022 |
I really didn't think I would enjoy this. Act 1 was ok but a little sluggish. Act 2 was pretty boring and didn't offer much to me. But Act 3 reminded me a lot of "Messenger" and "Gathering Blue" and I quite enjoyed it. Don't expect to get all the answers you may want. Again, the ending of "The Giver" with the sled is just kind of out there and the world is still mysterious but that's not too bad. There could have been a bit more world building and sacrifice a bit from Act 1, but the final act was interesting and smart and doesn't treat its reader like a moron - which has always been a strength of Lowry's writing. There's not much else to say about this other than it's a good ending to a good series that I enjoyed reading even past the suggested reading age. If I could sum up all four books it would be "Be and do something different". Final Grade - B ( )
  agentx216 | Aug 1, 2022 |
I do believe this is the book that many were waiting for after reading "The Giver." It really wraps it all up nicely and takes us back to the original community where Jonas and the baby Gabe lived. Lois Lowry is so good! I loved this story and the series (I haven't read "Messenger," yet). She creates such a realistic dystopian society that you begin to think that at one point it was probably a good idea. I love the story line with this one and the main character, Claire. You begin to see many flaws in their "perfect" society as she doesn't quite fit in and then she begins to simply feel. I also loved her time spent in a new community and then her final journey. Lovely. ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
This book tied the first three together nicely. I finished a few weeks ago. Don't remember the exact date. ( )
  KyleneJones | Apr 25, 2022 |

Belongs to Series

Is contained in

In memory of Martin
The young girl cringed when they buckled the eyeless leather mask around the upper half of her face and blinded her.

AR Book Level 5.0, 11 pts.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,188,036 books! | Top bar: Always visible