Grasping at Eternity by Karen Amanda Hooper

Grasping at Eternity (edition 2012)

by Karen Amanda Hooper

Series: The Kindrily (1)

Leave it to Maryah Woodsen to break the one rule that will screw up eternity: Never erase your memories. Before entering this life, Maryah did the unthinkable—she erased. Now, at seventeen years old, she's clueless that her new adoptive family has known her for centuries, that they are perpetually reincarnated souls, and that they have supernatural abilities. Oh, and she's supposed to love (not despise) Nathan, the green-eyed daredevil who saved her life. Nathan is convinced his family's plan to spark Maryah's memory is hopeless, but his love for her is undying. After spending (and remembering) so many lifetimes together, being around an empty version of his soulmate is heart shattering. He hates acting like a stalker, but has no choice because the evil outcast who murdered Maryah in their last lifetime is still after her. While Maryah's hunter inches closer, she and Nathan make assumptions and hide secrets that rip them further apart. Maryah has to believe in the magic within her, Nathan must have faith in the power of their love, and both need to grasp onto the truth before they lose each other forever—and discover just how lonely eternity can be.… (more)
Member:AseelNaji
Title:Grasping at Eternity
Authors:Karen Amanda Hooper
Info:Starry Sky Publishing (2012), Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:***

Work Information

Grasping at Eternity by Karen Amanda Hooper

I honestly loved this book from the very first line. I had taken a step back from the "supernatural" books, and even though this isn't technically one, I really enjoyed this twist on reincarnation! The main characters were perfect and the supporting characters really added to the story and I was hoping to get more of them just as much as I was wanting to read about the two main characters ( )
  chaoticmel | May 18, 2024 |
Intetesting plot, but was more of a character book. It just felt way too slow moving ( )
  Renegadefx | Sep 22, 2023 |
Grasping at Eternity has a very turbulent start with a lot of action and it’s really awesome. But at some point it got so confusing and words where used that I had no idea what meant. And they weren’t explained for a very long time, which meant I had to guess the meaning. Not good - it annoyed the *beep* out of me!

Maryah isn’t the greatest protagonist ever, but she’s still interesting enough to make me keep reading. It just seemed like there was more to her (well, duh!) I did, however, find it very odd that she was supposed to be somewhat of a wallflower before ‘the episode’ in the beginning of the book. Throughout the story she seemed so popular and well-liked. She is very naïve and she hasn’t got a clue about anything regarding boys or bad guys! The whole stupid-protagonist-deal got old real quick!

The love part was adorable! I loved Nathan and seeing Maryah through his eyes was amazing - he seemed so real and at the same time just too good to be true. Karen Amanda Hooper really succeeded in making Nathans frustrations real and easy to understand.

The rest of the characters seemed a bit cliché and over-the-top, but the futher I got into the story, the more I began to like them. The plot wasn’t really that different from a ton of other stories and the River-part was awful and it almost hurt me to watch Maryah acting like such an idiot! It really bugged me and is the main reason for the ‘low’ rating.

The supernatural part on the other hand! Oh my, I loved it!!! It kind of reminded me of X-Men, but it never seemed like a rip off at all! (Oh, and I LOVED the Jumper reference). So many great and different powers are introduced and it helped me a lot with identifying each of the characters. I can’t wait to find out more about those abilaties, because obviously I’m going to continue this series. The last part of the book was mainly awesome and I need me some more Nathan! Thank you, Karen Amanda Hooper, for releasing Taking Back Forever very soon!
  Hyms | Aug 9, 2020 |
  chaoticbooklover | Dec 26, 2018 |
I'm digging this whole concept, a very unique take on supernatural-immortal(ish) people. I don't want to ruin anything, so I'll just say that I enjoyed the storyline from start to finish. ( )
  larissaleescribbles | Aug 5, 2017 |

Belongs to Series

Before entering this life, Maryah did the unthinkable--she erased. Now, at seventeen years old, she's clueless that her new adoptive family has known her for centuries, that they are perpetually reincarnated souls, and that they have supernatural abilities. Oh, and she's supposed to love (not despise) Nathan, the green-eyed daredevil who saved her life.

While Maryah's hunter inches closer, she and Nathan make assumptions and hide secrets that rip them further apart. Maryah has to believe in the magic within her, Nathan must have faith in the power of their love, and both need to grasp onto the truth before they lose each other forever--and discover just how lonely eternity can be.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,360,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible