Drama: A Graphic Novel by Raina Telgemeier

Drama: A Graphic Novel (original 2012; edition 2021)

by Raina Telgemeier (Author)

Callie rides an emotional roller coaster while serving on the stage crew for a middle school production of Moon over Mississippi as various relationships start and end, and others never quite get going.
Member:colleen.haase
Title:Drama: A Graphic Novel
Authors:Raina Telgemeier (Author)
Info:Graphix (2021), 240 pages

Work Information

Drama: A Graphic Novel by Raina Telgemeier (2012)

Smile by Raina Telgemeier (kaledrina)
    Star-Crossed by Barbara Dee (FFortuna)
    Operatic by Kyo Maclear (Heather39)
    Heather39: Music in one, theater in the other. Similar themes of friendship and figuring out relationships, with some queer characters.

13436373Few things fuel middle school life-like the drama of interpersonal relationships. Who likes who? Who like likes who? What does it mean to like somebody? What does it mean if you don’t? Is friendship more important than romance? Despite what parents might want, many kids start dealing with this stuff in middle school, and Telgemeier has captured that dissonance perfectly. In this well-balanced graphic novel, the author uses a cartoon style and light humor to offset the heavier issues raised in the story.

What struck me most about this book is how real and relatable the characters feel, especially the central Callie. It is all too easy to make middle school (and high school, for that matter) characters seem maudlin and over-dramatic. Part of this, of course, is because that’s exactly what so many of them are in real life. That rarely translates well on the page, though. Telgemeier uses a crisp pace to keep Callie from wallowing in self-reflection, even as she visibly struggles to process feelings about several of her classmates. The danger with such a strategy is that the story will become too light and avoid a real emotional experience in the characters. Telgemeier, however, poignantly times both her dialogue and art so that the characters have moments of tangible depth which keep the novel anchored. Callie and her drama crew friends are able to grow without the author belaboring the point and losing momentum.

Read More ( )
  Library_Guard | Jun 17, 2024 |
I did far too much theatre in high school so it’s hard for me to be objective. This one left me choked up. ( )
  Amateria66 | May 24, 2024 |
This is my first Telgemeier book and likely won't be my last, since I'd like to keep up with what the kids at my library are reading.

That being said, I don't entirely understand the hype. Telgemeier uses very attractive color schemes, but her art style was a bit grating. The character expressions in particular didn't always correspond to the feeling being expressed, which took me out of the story.

The plot, meanwhile, moves very quickly, which probably works well for easily-distracted middle school readers, but again was jarring for me. I wanted Callie's big emotional moments to be properly explored, but most of them took up a mere panel or two. Maybe that's meant to be an accurate representation of the 7th grade emotional experience, or maybe it's supposed to speak to Callie's emotional flexibility.

Regardless, that breakneck story-telling pace makes it difficult to relate to Callie. It really is a shame, because Callie could be such a great role-model. Whether she's dealing with prop setbacks or a pair of really cute twin brothers, she tackles her obstacles head-on without fear, which many young readers would benefit from reading about. In particular, I loved the scene where Callie spontaneously tries out for the school musical even while fully aware of her lack of musical talent.

That is how comfortable she is with herself. She's totally fine with the fact that she'll never be leading lady, and it's not connected to any sort of shyness on her part. She simply knows what she's good at and what she enjoys and has chosen an appropriate role as a result. I so want more characters like her out there for kids to look up to. But, again, we're never given a full minute to get to know her, we also never get to really feel what she's feeling. I had to extrapolate a lot in order to write out a paragraph on Callie's personality.

The LGBT elements really aren't as central as many reviewers would make it seem. Yes, there are at least two gay characters. The main character isn't one of them, so I wouldn't say this is a story "about being gay." Drama is at most an introduction to the idea that gay people are out there. Not a big deal. Could have been a bigger deal, really.

Ultimately, Drama has good building blocks but lacks finesse, even for a middle grade read. ( )
  boopingaround | Mar 6, 2024 |
Great young adult book. I usually don't like graphic novels but enjoyed this one. The main plot is the challenges of putting on a high school musical and the drama that goes on behind the scenes. There are characters in the book that are homosexual, so this book will create a lot of discussion. Everything about it is spot on to current events for today's young adults. Cute story that made me want to read others by this author. ( )
  mjphillips | Feb 23, 2024 |
Attention, drama kids! You now have your very own book--one that completely captures your culture of artistic production and overenthusiastic fandom. Enjoy it. ( )
  LibrarianDest | Jan 3, 2024 |

Raina Telgemeierprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gurihiru.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Falco, PhilCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Do you think Mr. Madera will let me operate the spotlight again?

Checklist category/categories: Intended for a child audience
Title: Drama
Author or Creator: Raina Telgemeier
Publisher and number of pages/length of time: Graphix, 240 pages
Year of publication/release: 2012
Your brief response to the title - Drama is about Callie who has recently befriended twin brothers, her friendships with them, her crush on one of them, and her time on her last play in middle school.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,702,848 books! | Top bar: Always visible