Quicksilver (Carolrhoda Ya) by R. J.…

Quicksilver (Carolrhoda Ya) (original 2013; edition 2013)

by R. J. Anderson

Member:CatholicLibraryAssoc
Title:Quicksilver (Carolrhoda Ya)
Authors:R. J. Anderson
Info:Carolrhoda Books (2013), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:September 2013

Quicksilver by R. J. Anderson (2013)

To prevent the public from learning about Tori's unusual DNA, technology "geek" Tori and her adoptive parents move to a new town and change their names.
  lkmuir | Dec 8, 2015 |
An enjoyable follow up to Ultraviolet, though rather different in tone. I liked the exciting sci fi plot, and loved practical, sciency protagonist Tori. I was particularly glad to read a book with an asexual main character. ( )
  Tafadhali | Nov 18, 2015 |
First thing you should know: Quicksilver is a sequel. It has a different protagonist and shows many of the relevant events from the first novel through flashback, but you’ll still have a better grasp on what’s going on if you read the first book.

Since that’s out of the way, I really loved Quicksilver. Like, really loved Quicksilver. It has so much going for it, and it manages to avoid so many pitfalls.

I don’t want to say too much about the plot, because of spoilers for the first book, but I’ll post a sentence in the comments.

The characterization was overall excellent. Tori (or Niki, as she changes to), the protagonist, starts the book on the run from her past life, her mother helping her dye her hair in a gas station restroom. Tori is both smart and capable, with a passion for engineering. However, she’s also realistically flawed. She keeps putting up barriers and not telling people the truth, although it’s often easy to see why. She feels a desire to be “normal” and liked, and this often translates into her feeling like she has to lie.

Also, Tori/Niki is asexual. And she even uses the word! Do you know how rare this is for any book, and especially YA? Oh, and while Tori’s asexual, I don’t think she’s aromantic. There’s still sort of a romantic relationship here, it just is a lot more complex and very different than your standard YA book. If you want to know more about how Tori’s asexuality is handled, there’s an asexual blog that looked at it more in depth here.

Regarding the other characters, they all seemed very life like. I loved Milo in particular, and I was also impressed with the depiction of Tori’s parents. They are not perfect by any means, but they have a lot larger role than in most YA books and clearly love her. Also, Faraday from the first book appeared. He’s still a jerk, but Tori knows it.

Speaking of Faraday, I still don’t like his relationship with Allison. Way too many creep vibes there.

So, I’m not going to lie, I think you should probably read the first book, Ultraviolet, before you get into Quicksilver since it basically revolves around the fall out from the first novel. Still, if you can’t get into Ultraviolet for whatever reason, Quicksilver‘s different in a lot of ways and you may like it better.

Recommended to people looking for a rather genre defying YA novel, particularly if they like science fiction. Also very much recommended if you are looking for an asexual protagonist.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Jun 12, 2015 |
Originally posted at Novel Reveries

"I thought I had the truth and that no one could take it away from me. But now I don't know what to believe." (143)

I absolutely loved Ultraviolet and I absolutely love this as well! It's so nice to get away from a story writhing in love triangles and filled with whinny teenagers. While Ultraviolet focused on Alison, Quicksilver focuses on Tori after they escape Mathis. To get away from the police and scientists hounding her, Tori and her parents change their identities and relocate their lives, but it is enough?

"I told myself it felt like freedom, and it did. But deep down, it also felt like death." (7)

Just as the first book, Quicksilver really clung to me with it's sci-fi filled plot of aliens, control and deception. We get to really understand Tori and how she's been brought up to use her charm and ability to read people to manipulate them. Milo is introduced as a factor in which manipulation becomes painful for Tori (AKA Niki) and she learns to hold on to her emotions and trust people. Although this may not always seem like a great decision for some people (including some incidents with Faraday) in the end she learns how to trust herself as well, to do what is right for her and those who care about her. Although dealing with escaping the police and the scientists at GeneSystem seems like enough, there's something bigger in the making as Tori (Niki) finds out that the relay is still active and can send her back through the open wormhole to Mathis. With the help of a few friends, she must take action before it's too late.

"I was tired of lies and evasions: I'd spent a lifetime pretending, and sometimes I hardly knew what the truth was anymore." (94)
In all, this book is a exceptional companion to the first book, even though it has a different feel about it. I love the adventure that the author took me on, especially since I haven't read that much science fiction in my life and this series really gave me a new interest in the genre. Although I love this book in the series, I also feel like it could be read and understood without having read Ultraviolet, but in all seriousness that book was amazing as well and I would highly recommend both of these Ultraviolet books for someone looking for a cosmic adventure.

First Line:"On June 7, the year I turned sixteen, I vanished without a trace." (1)
Last Line:"'Let's call it an experiment in progress,' I said." (314)

-------
Quotes
"Which meant the only way to solve the problem was to solve the problem, literally. To find the threat to my safety and eliminate it, before it eliminated me. I only wish I knew how." (90)

"'I don't know how to be anything but pretend,' I replied, and it ached in me how true that really was. 'But if I could be real, I'd be real for you.'" (226) ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
Originally posted at Novel Reveries

Last Line:"'Let's call it an experiment in progress,' I said." (314)

-------
Quotes

Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
For Nick, who likes to make things
On June 7, the year I turned sixteen, I vanished without a trace.

Once I was a girl who was special. Now I am extraordinary. And they will never stop hunting me. This is the follow-up novel to the best-selling 'Ultraviolet'.

R. J. Anderson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,399,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible