Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park (edition 2013)

by Rainbow Rowell (Author)

7,173571965 (4.14)365
Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits--smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try.
Member:zorak_1996
Title:Eleanor & Park
Authors:Rainbow Rowell (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2013), 336 pages

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these emotionally intense realistic fiction novels are set in the recent past, and feature misfit protagonists working through the agonies and ecstasies of first love, friendship, and surviving high school.
    Letters to the Lost by Brigid Kemmerer (Headinherbooks_27)
    More Than We Can Tell by Brigid Kemmerer (Headinherbooks_27)
    George by Alex Gino (Othemts)
    I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan (bluenotebookonline)

English (565)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (569)
A beautiful, brilliant, spare novel about two teen outcasts who experience love (and acceptance) for the first time. It is told in the alternating points of view of the hero (bi-racial Korean-American Park) and the heroine (red-headed Eleanor of Scandavian descent). Although it takes place in the 1986, the language nor the emotions feel dated. The third act had a surprise for me, but I felt it started too abruptly before racing to the ending. This is a book that sucks you in and doesn't let go. ALthough there was an over-arching feeling of doom, I was still committed to finishing this book and I'm glad I did. ( )
  RakishaBPL | Sep 24, 2021 |
The ending left me wanting me more from these two ( )
  jgallo123 | Sep 14, 2021 |
I give this a 3.5. I really wanted to love this, and I did enjoy the story for the most part, but there are also a lot of issues with this book too. There is a racist friend, there's bullying, there's fat shaming, one day park decides to wear eye liner and even though Park isn't queer there is a bit of queer shaming, there's domestic abuse, and hints and child abuse. So there are lots of triggers in this book. I enjoyed the development of the relationship between Eleanor & Park though. ( )
  Completely_Melanie | Sep 10, 2021 |
Wow. That is the first thing that comes to mind with this one. This book was absolutely amazing. I am a huge fan of Rowell's and I intend to read literally everything I can get my hands on that is written by her. This book has blown away what I consider an epic YA romance. It has raised the bar so high.

The little things in this book were the best. Like when Park got all the batteries he could find. Or when Park's mom 'sneakily' set up a date night for them. There were some awesome larger moments as well, but the smaller ones were my favorite.

I didn't cry much though. After what I had seen I really thought this was going to leave me a weeping mess. I only shed a few tears though. I did however close the book and ranted to the author for a bit. But that's always a good sign of how invested I got in the book.

I only decided to read this one now because I saw it while browsing the library with my daughter. I thought, why not, I plan to read it eventually anyway and I took a break from the two series I'm currently in the middle of just to read this one. I'm so glad I did. I will be thinking about this book for ages. If you haven't read this book yet, I highly recommend it. However, I recommend only older teens and up due to language and some other content that wouldn't be appropriate. ( )
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
This is a sweet story that reminds us how grateful we should be that we're past those days and how vulnerable kids with shit parents are. ( )
  MuggleBorn930 | Jul 11, 2021 |
I have never seen anything quite like “Eleanor & Park.” Rainbow Rowell’s first novel for young adults is a beautiful, haunting love story — but I have seen those. It’s set in 1986, and God knows I’ve seen that. There’s bullying, sibling rivalry, salvation through music and comics, a monstrous stepparent — and I know, we’ve seen all this stuff. But you’ve never seen “Eleanor & Park.” Its observational precision and richness make for very special reading.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, John Green (Mar 8, 2013)

Rowell, Rainbowprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malhotra, SunilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, HarrietCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simó, VictoriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Forest, Jade, Haven, and Jerry -
and everyone else in the back of the truck
He'd stopped trying to bring her back.
He loved how much they loved each other. It was the thing he thought about when he woke up scared in the middle of the night. Not that they loved him -- they were his parents, they had to love him. That they loved each other. They didn't have to do that.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,572,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible