Practical paleo by Diane Sanfilippo

Practical paleo (2012)

by Diane Sanfilippo

Other authors: Bill Staley (Photographer), Robb Wolf (Foreword)

Tasty recipes, questionable science. ( )
  jakebornheimer | Mar 27, 2019 |
Of 411 pages the first 221 are informational as only a textbook can be... the next several pages are (seriously) "How to Chop".....

There are several chapters that are for specialty diets, and the menus are listed, but the recipes are named not included in the chapter. That makes it very difficult when you have to go look up the recipes in a different section.

The book is heavy, but the recipes are easy to see/read & interesting enough.

The vanilla almond sponge bread caught my eye, but the dessert recipes that mix bacon and chocolate made me want to hork! I mean bison, butternut cocoa chili (ewwwwwwwwwww)? Flourless mocha bacon brownies or nutty bacon bark?

I like cauliflower, but I don't think I want it pureed like mashed potatoes.

I can not see spending $39.95 on this book....... ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
Excellent recipes. Great for anyone with food allergies. I highly recommend trying the Mustard Glazed Chicken Thighs. Even if you don't follow Paleo it's definitely worth the look just for the recipes. ( )
  Marleen_Cloutier | Oct 26, 2014 |
Two instead of three stars, because, while the information was decent, the organization...not so much. I'm willing to believe (in the absence of evidence to the contrary) that this was because I got the electronic version rather than the tree version. The text was full of hyperlinks to "appendixy" information, with no way to return to the original location in the text, and the overall sense I got is that it was more or less cut-and-paste'd together. ( )
  duende | Feb 6, 2014 |
Although I always appreciate background information in any book, I'm not thrilled when it is heavyhanded. The introduction and it's borderline bashing of all other forms of diet were a little off-putting.

The quality of information and writing was good. The recipes were well presented.

If I was suggeting this book, I would suggest it to singles, couples or families with a stay at home mom. Many of the books recipes are time consuming and make a big mess. As a full-time working mother of 3, this book is just a bit too impractical. And the recipes are not picky kid friendly. ( )
  Angelina-Justice | Feb 3, 2014 |

Diane Sanfilippoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Staley, BillPhotographersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wolf, RobbForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Our great-grandmothers didn't need nutrition lessons—then again, they weren't forced to wade through aisle after aisle of packaged foods touting outlandish health claims and confusing marketing jargon. Over the last few decades, we've forgotten what "real food" is—and we're left desperately seeking foods that will truly nourish our bodies. We're disillusioned with the "conventional wisdom" for good reason—it's gotten us nowhere.

Achieving optimal health without calorie-counting, diet foods, or feelings of deprivation has never been easier. Practical Paleo explains why avoiding both processed foods and foods marketed as "healthy"—like grains, legumes, and pasteurized dairy—will improve how you look and feel and lead to lasting weight loss. Even better—you may reduce or completely eliminate symptoms associated with common health disorders!

Practical Paleo is jam-packed with over 120 easy recipes, all with special notes about common food allergens including nightshades and FODMAPs. Meal plans are also included, and are designed specifically to support:

immune health (autoimmune conditions)
blood sugar regulation (diabetes 1 & 2, hypoglycemia)
digestive health (leaky gut, IBS & IBD)
multiple sclerosis, fibromyalgia, and chronic fatigue syndromethyroid health (hypo and hyper - Hashimotos, Graves)
heart health (cholesterol & blood pressure)
neurological health (Parkinson's & Alzheimer's)
cancer recovery
fat loss
athletic performance
a "squeaky-clean" Paleo approach

Practical Paleo is the resource you'll reach for again and again, whether you're looking for information on healthy living, delicious recipes, or easy-to-understand answers to your questions about how a Paleo lifestyle can benefit you, your family, and your friends.

This book explains why avoiding both processed foods and foods commonly marketed as "healthy"--like grains, legumes, and pasteurized dairy--will improve how people look and feel and lead to lasting weight loss. Descriptive content provided by Syndetics{u2122}, a Bowker service.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,655,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible