This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen

This Is Not My Hat (2012)

by Jon Klassen

Series: My Hat (2)

A tiny minnow wearing a pale blue bowler hat has a thing or two up his fins in this underwater light-on-dark chase scene.

This book is delightfully funny! The illustrations make the book come to life in ways that are creative and fun. It is interesting to follow the story. The little fish who stole the big fish's hat was very snarky and confident, so it was intriguing to see if the big fish was going to catch the little fish. It's also interesting to read the little fish's inner dialogue. He talks about how he knows stealing is wrong, but the hat fits him better. The justification of one's own actions is something that humans do almost daily, and it almost gives an insight to the mind of a minor thief. That minor detail wrapped into a children's book adds a level of interest for an older crowd to read with their students or children. ( )
  Kmlaiche | Jan 14, 2020 |
I love that the little fish was not really that apologetic about stealing the hat. She* just hopefully rationalized her way to the kelp forest. Indeed, my 6yo was all over that, "it fits the little fish better!" idea -- and when we actually got to that page in the book, where the little fish makes that same argument, my kid was like, "See, I told you!" As if she felt vindicated by the thieving little fish. I guess now I know where to look for missing apparel: In my kid's room, which does seem sort of jungle-like. [return][return]Let's just imagine that the little fish is too ashamed to come out of the plants, rather than imagining what else might have befallen her at the hands (fins, teeth) of the big fish. Oops, spoiler.[return][return]* By the way, reviewers, the first-person fish is not gendered in the text, just in the publisher's blurb. And you know you can't trust those. ( )
  adaq | Dec 25, 2019 |
This a short story about a fish who steals a larger fishes hate. This story allows students of all ages to realize what the true moral is, and an extra bonus I love about this book is that it is a series book. There are two other books that go along with this story. The illustrations are very unique, instead of having a drawn look they look like that are paper. ( )
  bxr032 | Nov 17, 2019 |
A funny story of a small fish who thinks he got away with stealing a larger fish’s hat. As the small fish is narrating his side of the story, the illustration tells a different story. The illustration tells us the opposite of what the small fish is saying-he definitely didn’t get away with it. The ending of the book leaves the reader wondering what happened to the small fish. ( )
  Sondosottallah | Sep 2, 2019 |
For Will and Justin, again
This hat is not mine.

Lawson/LIB 428 desc. --The extraordinary, simple, yet extravagant illustration coupled with the sort of twist/mystery plotline in the book when the fish go out of sight make this book such a fun and amazign read for children. Children and adults will likely appreciate the amazing artwork and design in this story but it's a double threat with the fun/humorous storyline and loveable characterization as the little fish has stolen a big fish's hat and swims along sort of bragging about it unknowingly being chased by the big fish until they reach seaweed and dip behind it, and only the big fish emerges, leaving the reader to assume what happened to the other. This book is incredible and should not be missed.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,624,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible