dismiss

The Emperor's Soul (Hugo Award Winner - Best…

The Emperor's Soul (Hugo Award Winner - Best Novella) (edition 2012)

by Brandon Sanderson (Author)

Series: Sel (1.5), Cosmere (Novella, 8)

1,2207710,951 (4.3)85
When Shai is caught replacing the Moon Scepter with her nearly flawless forgery, she must bargain for her life and create--by Forgery--a new soul for the emperor in less than one hundred days.
Member:Thogek
Title:The Emperor's Soul (Hugo Award Winner - Best Novella)
Authors:Brandon Sanderson (Author)
Info:Tachyon Publications (2012), Edition: First Edition, 176 pages
Rating:*****

The Emperor's Soul by Brandon Sanderson

Have you ever read a short story set in a pre-established world from a larger book or series and said...

IDOS DOMI?! HOW IS THIS AS GOOD AS A FULL LENGTH NOVEL?!!

I read this right after finishing Elantris, and I have to say that I liked it as much as the 600 pages tome. In as little as 120 pages Sanderson manages to establish a magic system, a culture, and deeply developed characters that you learn to care for. The man is too talented. One would think that his mastery can only be appreciated in long format stories spanning hundreds of not thousands of pages... but he did it in 120. I felt sucked into the story of Shai and her Forgery. This story also helps understand the overall concept of Soulcasting in a way that is easier to digest to what we got in Way of Kings and Words of Radiance.

Really fun short read. Fast paced and beautifully developed.

10/10 ( )
  Miguel.Arvelo | Jun 9, 2020 |
Very interesting story. My first thoughts ran, "Cool, it's high-class magical forgery done Brandon Sanderson style!" And then I realized it had heart and soul, which, upon reflection, was very Sanderson. What blew my mind the most was the depth of characterization, perhaps being the best of all his works.

It's a short work, but ultimately one worth remembering and enjoying and re-reading. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Fantastic book.
In so few pages you get complex, absolutely likable characters, a strong female MC, a great story, a good glimpse on the political and cultural background, a fully fledged magic system, and the entire in-depth explanation of it too (without boring you out of your mind, interrupting, or distracting from the story). ( )
  AshuritaLove | May 24, 2020 |
What a neat concept - read it for yourself. She brings someone back to life. Neat! ( )
  leebill | Apr 30, 2020 |
I thought it was a pretty good introduction to Sanderson's writing style. It's a bit simplistic compared to his larger works, but I'll definitely be recommending it to people new to his work so they can get a taste before committing to a 400 page novel. ( )
  beatgammit | Mar 22, 2020 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lin, AngelaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nanitchkov, AlexanderCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lucie Tuan and Sherry Wang,
who provided inspiration.
Gaotona ran his fingers across the thick canvas, inspecting one of the greatest works of art he had ever seen. Unfortunately, it was a lie.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,598,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible