Devil Said Bang: A Sandman Slim Novel by…

Devil Said Bang: A Sandman Slim Novel (edition 2012)

by Richard Kadrey (Author)

Series: Sandman Slim (4)

5181940,575 (3.67)14
"What do you do after you've escaped Hell, gone back, uncovered the true nature of God, and then managed to become the new Lucifer? Well, if you're James Stark, you have to figure out how to run Hell while also trying to get back out of it...again. Plus there's the small matter of surviving. Because everyone in Heaven, Hell, and in between wants to be the fastest gun in the universe, and the best way to do so is to take down Lucifer, a.k.a. James Stark. And it's not like being in L.A. is any better-a serial-killer ghost is running wild and Stark's angelic alter ego is hiding among the lost days of time with a secret cabal who can rewrite reality. Starting to care for people and life again is a real bitch for a stone-cold killer."--Dust jacket.… (more)
Member:monazite
Title:Devil Said Bang: A Sandman Slim Novel
Authors:Richard Kadrey (Author)
Info:Harper Voyager (2012), Edition: 1st Edition, 416 pages
Collections:Own, Your library

Work Information

Devil Said Bang by Richard Kadrey

Still stuck in hell, James Stark is the new Lucifer. He has to constantly watch his back as others seek to kill or maim him from rank and file Hellions to his top advisors. Eventually, Stark manages to trick one of his advisors into being a caretaker as he goes topside, back to L.A., to track down an impostor of sorts and return to his girlfriend, Candy; however, Stark has to stop a serial killing ghost and deal with Candy's new "friend." ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
I love this series. I love these characters. I will probably read all the books ever written about James Stark.

They are light reading.

Continuing with food metaphors, these are a tomato sandwich in the summer time. Absolutely delicious at the moment. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
I picked up Devil Said Bang because of the concept of the character and the amazing blurbs by well-known authors. Unfortunately, the novel fell well short of my lofty expectations. Sandman Slim is the main character and has been made the new Lucifer, in charge of Hell after the last Lucifer no longer wanted the job. Sandman Slim wants nothing to do with the job and is only interested in going back to Los Angeles.

For me, this novel was all style and little substance. It felt like the high school kid with the hot rod car trying to impress everybody. For starters, the narration was over the top. I didn’t care for the first person, present tense point of view, which is all of the rage these days, but makes no sense from a story telling standpoint. You don’t tell a story as it happens. You tell it after it happens. The novel felt very repetitive. After about the eighth time, I lost track of all the assassination attempts on the main character. It was one after another after another and became dull after a while. There were way too many characters to keep track of, and the characters had little meaning because it seemed as if there was a constant flow of new characters in every scene. The novel felt disjointed since the first half of it took place in Hell and had little to do with what would come later. It should have been two separate novels. There wasn’t much that I liked about it. I would recommend skipping this one and reading Tim Marquitz Demon Squad series, which is similar in theme but far superior in quality.

Carl Alves - author of Battle of the Soul ( )
  Carl_Alves | Jan 20, 2019 |
This one started really slow, but ended...

... (dare I say it?)...

...with a bang!

ssimon2000 | May 7, 2018 |

They are light reading.

Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |

Richard Kadreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Andrews, MacLeodNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

What do you do after you’ve escaped Hell, gone back, uncovered the true nature of God, and then managed to become the new Lucifer?

Well, if you’re James Stark, you have to figure out how to run Hell while also trying to get back out of it... again. Plus there’s the small matter of surviving. Because everyone in Heaven, Hell, and in between wants to be the fastest gun in the universe, and the best way to do so is to take down Lucifer, a.k.a. James Stark.

And it’s not like being in L.A. is any better — a serial-killer ghost is running wild and Stark’s angelic alter ego is hiding among the lost days of time with a secret cabal who can rewrite reality. Starting to care for people and life again is a real bitch for a stone-cold killer.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,151,615 books! | Top bar: Always visible